• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Central PA - February 2013

Actually the 6z,12z and 18z GFS Models all had some sort of coastal runner around next weekend. I know it most likely won't happen but it made me chuckle.

Banter in NY forum says latest Euro coming around to GFS idea for VD storm.  More importantly, several mets are agreeing that the following storm (PD III) has "triple phaser" potential....ie 3/13/93....lookout!

Latest NWS forecast for norther suffolk county on LI now says storm totals of 18 to 36 inches expected!   :lmao:  :snowing:  :sled:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Banter in NY forum says latest Euro coming around to GFS idea for VD storm.  More importantly, several mets are agreeing that the following storm (PD III) has "triple phaser" potential....ie 3/13/93....lookout!

Latest NWS forecast for norther suffolk county on LI now says storm totals of 18 to 36 inches expected!   :lmao:  :snowing:  :sled:

It's our turn to set an all time snow storm record. Who's with me?

I have been through Superstorm 93 (24") and January 96 (24") in Harrisburg and PD2 in Lancaster (25").

Riding this one out here in CT (stuck in hotel) and I must say this is the "worst" snowstorm I have been through. Easily 25 to 30 inches. Snowfall rates of up to 4"/hr and 50 mph wind gusts. The only thing I did not witness was thunder snow.

Not getting back to Lancaster anytime soon.

mumasepy.jpg

Totaled .10 yesterday. Disappointing but not unexpected. The GFS was so horrible with this storm I can't remotely trust anything it shows. Ditto on the NAM.

The models sure was a disappointment,24 hours out and they wasn't in very good agreement.  What do you think was giving them a difficult time figuring this storm out?

I have been through Superstorm 93 (24") and January 96 (24") in Harrisburg and PD2 in Lancaster (25"). Riding this one out here in CT (stuck in hotel) and I must say this is the "worst" snowstorm I have been through. Easily 25 to 30 inches. Snowfall rates of up to 4"/hr and 50 mph wind gusts. The only thing I did not witness was thunder snow. Not getting back to Lancaster anytime soon.

Unreal...thanks for the update!! Nice Pic!

Hahaha prbly...I dont even care at this point. I did get 6.0 inches of snow/sleet earlier this year though.

This really is not a bad winter. Here's the facts, and facts trump anything you can say, making your opinion irrelevant. You've had an 8 inch event, a 5 inch event, and a 4 inch event. You are at 25 for the year. Your normal is 34.7. You are currently above normal for snow. You can go below normal the rest of the year and still have a normal snowfall year. And the thing is, during the storms that got you there all you did during those was b**ch and moan about back edges, etc. If you lived in New England you would complain leading up to the storm.

I think for your own good you really need to find another hobby. You have an interest in something that will never make you happy. It's really strange.

Ofcourse we all care we are on a weather forum..I just mean no reason to get upset anymore, just expect it.

You had a storm in December that people in DC would give their genitalia for, and all you did the entire time was whine and embarrass yourself. Seriously....after that, you didn't look at what you post and start thinking, wow, I made an ass of myself and I need to maybe change?

You don't have an argument here, man.

Anyway, there's a whiner thread, my idea to try to find middle ground here so those who want to freak out have a place to do so and we can talk about storm threats without people complaining that the weather hates them.

Back to real weather talk, this is a pretty remarkable public info statement: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=MA&prodtype=public

You had a storm in December that people in DC would give their genitalia for, and all you did the entire time was whine and embarrass yourself. Seriously....after that, you didn't look at what you post and start thinking, wow, I made an ass of myself and I need to maybe change?

You don't have an argument here, man.

That, and when he gets called out says he's going to take time off and stop posting, only to be back at it no later than the next day.

Wide range of solutions for the next 10 days. We could get smoked twice or miss 'em both. At least we'll have opportunities.

Anyway, there's a whiner thread, my idea to try to find middle ground here so those who want to freak out have a place to do so and we can talk about storm threats without people complaining that the weather hates them.

Back to real weather talk, this is a pretty remarkable public info statement: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=MA&prodtype=public

Often lost to us during storms like this is the impacts along the immediate coast. I don't know how Long Island fared, but they still have a long way to go from Sandy's aftermath. Sobering to see so much wind/water damage.

That, and when he gets called out says he's going to take time off and stop posting, only to be back at it no later than the next day.

Wide range of solutions for the next 10 days. We could get smoked twice or miss 'em both. At least we'll have opportunities.

Yes, based on evidence such as what the pros are saying and not based on how the weather is a big meanie to everyone, the rest of the month has some good signs. That's what they are, opportunities. And every storm is different, something else for everyone here to keep in mind.

Often lost to us during storms like this is the impacts along the immediate coast. I don't know how Long Island fared, but they still have a long way to go from Sandy's aftermath. Sobering to see so much wind/water damage.

I hope they got through it okay, I haven't heard anything about that part of it.

I recommend to all of you, heading down to the ocean to watch a nor'easter from there is a cool experience.

lol dude I had 5.8 inches and I didnt embarrass myself it rained the rest of the precip that filled in. I am fine with this winter we should get to average.

No, the snow reports around there were around 8.

And as for embarrassing yourself, dude, you sure were pretty funny in that one storm when you posted "back edge is approaching oh well" and the radar kept pumping out the snow for you.

THREE TIMES.

I'd probably not try to argue here on whether you embarrassed yourself. I am sure a lot here lol'd at that one.

Ha, nice.

Don Sutherland posted a while ago about some crazy 1770s blizzard in Boston that sounded even crazier than this one.

Thanks, it's just something I came up with on a whim last night while at work, one of the TVs had TWC on, reporting from a place called "Revere Beach" in Mass :P

99hr 12z GFS and 105hr 6z GFS are like an exact match. No, really. The low is in like the exact same position.

lol dude I had 5.8 inches and I didnt embarrass myself it rained the rest of the precip that filled in. I am fine with this winter we should get to average.

The fact that you "lol" in about 3/4 of your posts is telling (to me) just how much you DO care.

Look...I think the main issue is you so often say one thing but turn around and then say or do just the opposite. Think before you post and when you do post, use some thought and rationale.

Well the long range HPC guidance would suggest that we have more "opportunities" for some stormy weather. Hopefully on the snowier side for all of us. But time will tell:

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1100 AM EST SAT FEB 09 2013

VALID 12Z TUE FEB 12 2013 - 12Z SAT FEB 16 2013

...THE ACTIVE/STORMY WEATHER PATTERN CONTINUES...

THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD VALID DAYS 4-7 WED-SAT SHOULD PROVE TO BE
QUITE ACTIVE WITHIN A LARGE SCALE CONUS MEAN MID-UPPER LEVEL
TROUGH DOWNSTREAM FROM AN AMPLIFIED ERN PAC RIDGE.  RIDGE
AMPLITUDE SEEMS WELL SUPPORTED BY UPSTREAM DEEP STORM DEVELOPMENT
TOWARD ALASKA COMMON IN MOST GUIDANCE.  THIS PATTERN WILL FAVOR
COLDEST TEMPS RELATIVE TO NORMAL OVER THE INTERIOR
WEST...SPREADING OUT ACROSS THE CENTRAL US BY LATE WEEK.  TWO
PRIMARY SYSTEMS OF INTEREST INCLUDE A WAVE TRACKING NEWD FROM THE
GULF OF MEXICO AND INTO THE WRN ATLANTIC AS A COASTAL LOW AND
LATER AS NRN PAC ENERGY DIGS/AMPLIFIES DOWN THROUGH THE CENTRAL US
LEADING TO A POSSIBLE SIGNIFICANT ERN US STORM BY NEXT WEEKEND. :)

HPC MEDIUM RANGE SURFACE FRONTS/PRESSURES AND 500 MB PROGS HAVE
BEEN PRIMARILY DERIVED FROM AN EVEN COMPROMISE BLEND OF THE 00 UTC
GFS/ECMWF/GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN TUE/WED BEFORE TRANSITIONING TO THE 06
UTC GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN BY NEXT FRI/SAT.

WITH THE GULF TO ATLC SFC LOW DURING THE WED-THU TIME
FRAME...RECENT ENSEMBLES GENERALLY SUGGEST A LOW TRACK BETWEEN
RECENT GFS AND MORE OFFSHORE ECMWF RUNS WITH THE LEADING EAST
COAST LOW THROUGH MIDWEEK.  GFS RUNS HAVE GENERALLY REMAINED ON
THE NWRN SIDE OF THE FULL GUIDANCE SPREAD THOUGH NOT TO THE POINT
OF BEING OUTLIERS RELATIVE TO INDIVIDUAL ENSEMBLE MEMBERS.  THE
RELATIVELY PROGRESSIVE NATURE OF FLOW CONTAINING THE SUPPORTING
ENERGY EJECTING FROM THE SRN ROCKIES/HIGH PLAINS... AND POSITIVE
TILT OF THE ESTABLISHED LARGE SCALE MEAN PATTERN...SEEM TO FAVOR
AN INTERMEDIATE SOLUTION.

UPSTREAM NRN PAC ENERGY SHOULD BEGIN AMPLIFYING OVER THE CONUS
AROUND WED-THU...THIS MAY END UP BEING A RATHER COMPLEX SYSTEM.
TO SIMPLIFY AMID UNCERTAINTY YET STILL MAINTAIN SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT
THREAT...THE 06 UTC GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN OFFERS A COMPROMISE
MID-UPPER LEVEL TROUGH POSITION OVER THE EAST-CENTRAL US BETWEEN
00 UTC GFS ENSEMBLES AND ECMWF ENSEMBLES.  THE LESS NEGATIVE TILT
OF THE 06 UTC GFS ENSEMBLE MEAN TROUGH SEEMS CONSISTENT WITH
ENERGY DIGGING DOWN FROM THE AMPLIFIED UPSTREAM RIDGE POSITION.

SCHICHTEL

Archived