Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA - February 2013

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back, Zach!!! Glad you made it back safe and sound. It must have been one heck of a storm to enjoy up there. Nice pix for sure.

Looks like we're about to go into an incredible next 2 weeks down here with storm after storm.

Did anyone notice that the 06z gfs takes the PDIII storm all the way down to 960mb and it isn't even at the benchmark yet? You can just tell that the atmosphere is primed for something big. It doesn't matter that the 12z reduced it. It just phased the storm a bit later. It still blows up offshore and even here we manage to pull off 6 to 10" event.

It's gonna be a long week, methinks. Get ready everyone.

12z disagrees strongly with 6z on second storm lol...back to reality.

This is exactly the kind of post Jamie was lecturing you about earlier (Saturday I believe)... posts like this without any explanation or reasoning to support your thoughts really take away from the good commentary you do have

Take a look at this link http://txtornado.net/GFS/new_500_gfs_all_12.htm

Compare what happens at 500mb from 0z run, 6z run, and 12z...

The system currently moving over the Great Lakes that provided the freezing rain/rain this morning will move to the north and east over the course of the remainder of the week... at 0z it got to a point where it became nearly stationary and then nearly disappeared... at 6z this same system positions itself and remains relevant to provide some blocking/ridging ahead of the weekend system which in turn helps amplify the trough to give us a good hit... this is what you will see referred to as a 50/50 low

The cold air over east central canada is also further north on 6z and 12z  than it had been with 0z and previous when showing no storm... this kept the system more suppressed and didnt allow the trough to amplify and turn negative... with 6z it has less interaction with the shortwave for the weekend even than 12z hence the 6z run pulling further west

It is things like this to keep an eye on but there is not anything strongly different between 6 and 12z... remember too that 6z does not have as much new data input into the run as 0z and 12z does so that is why 0z and 12z are often relied on moreso than 6z and 18z

This is exactly the kind of post Jamie was lecturing you about earlier (Saturday I believe)... posts like this without any explanation or reasoning to support your thoughts really take away from the good commentary you do have

Take a look at this link http://txtornado.net/GFS/new_500_gfs_all_12.htm

Compare what happens at 500mb from 0z run, 6z run, and 12z...

The system currently moving over the Great Lakes that provided the freezing rain/rain this morning will move to the north and east over the course of the remainder of the week... at 0z it got to a point where it became nearly stationary and then nearly disappeared... at 6z this same system positions itself and remains relevant to provide some blocking/ridging ahead of the weekend system which in turn helps amplify the trough to give us a good hit... this is what you will see referred to as a 50/50 low

The cold air over east central canada is also further north on 6z and 12z  than it had been with 0z and previous when showing no storm... this kept the system more suppressed and didnt allow the trough to amplify and turn negative... with 6z it has less interaction with the shortwave for the weekend even than 12z hence the 6z run pulling further west

It is things like this to keep an eye on but there is not anything strongly different between 6 and 12z... remember too that 6z does not have as much new data input into the run as 0z and 12z does so that is why 0z and 12z are often relied on moreso than 6z and 18z

It's cool....he does actually have a point here, lol.

Good analysis, btw. 

The thing I think will be clear going forward is the models will flip around a bit. Not going to get too pumped or upset either way. 

Great job Zak on whole event .Sorry trying to do well...some well known posters in PIT forum said there were major diff. My apologies

ah ok well for PIT the major difference to them is that with 12z being a little east they lose a lot of precip compared to 6z... overall pattern wise it is not a huge difference

Great job Zak on whole event .Sorry trying to do well...some well known posters in PIT forum said there were major diff. My apologies

Sometimes mouth does this <<<<<<<<<......

When it should do this.---------------

Just learn to listen / read until you understand. That's what I did for some time until I learned enough to chirp once in a while. You will get much less grief and people will actually appreciate insight. We all are learning here....just at different levels.

Nut

Great overview from Eric Horst at my alma mater  http://snowball.millersville.edu/~cws/SpecialWeatherDiscussion.html

Don't tell the wife, but I'm (obviously) rooting for snow on VD.  Dinner plans can wait.

You guys might have a shot with this, particularly I-80 south. Warm advection snows with these type of systems typically extend pretty far away from the center, and there's no huge confluence zone to keep it dry. A possible analog that stands out to me is 12/5/02 or even 2/7/03. This also seems like one that will keep trending north-so you guys should watch it IMO.

The winter of 1772 appears to have been one of the longest and most brutal stretches in American history. Holy shaaaaat.

That decade seemed to be epic. One of my favorite local history stories for my hometown of York PA was how George Washington nearly got hypothermia in 1778 during an epic blizzard. He was supposed to stay in this church parish in York, and the caretaker refused to let him in because he didn't believe he was Washington and thought he was a British spy (they had Continential Congress documents hidden in the church). 

I mean, it's funny when you think about it. 

You guys might have a shot with this, particularly I-80 south. Warm advection snows with these type of systems typically extend pretty far away from the center, and there's no huge confluence zone to keep it dry. A possible analog that stands out to me is 12/5/02 or even 2/7/03. This also seems like one that will keep trending north-so you guys should watch it IMO.

Holy crap, I wondered about that. 

MDT - 6.5" 12/5/02 and 5.3" 2/7/03 FYI

Archived