bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Central PA - February 2013

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM...give up. Please.

Lol gotta admire NAM's spirit saying f you.. C-PA to SNE is gettin a decent snowstorm. Makin the Euro look like the NOGAPs in comparison with it's sheared progressive solution. Speaking of which, that was on par with what the 12z GFS had today gettin precip into southern PA at least. Interesting battle.

NAM...give up. Please.

LOL

Well, at least one model is still giving us some hope for more than just a coating. Only problem is it looks a tad warm at the surface, but could easily cool down after precip starts. Timing looks good with it starting after 7pm.

I'm still hoping. My sisters back in north jersey got about a foot each. I'm jealous. We have to get at least one event of 6"+ before winter ends. :violin:

I'll take an 0z NAM/GFS compromise myself... maybe the Euros still hungover from it's big win with the blizzard. 

Should note that the operational GFS/NAM haven't been out on their own wrt to their respective ensembles on this storm.. as a half decent amount of GEFS/SREF members have been supportive of snow into CPA.  

GEFS mean (waiting for the individual members plots to see what we got on that level)

post-1507-0-09065300-1360564364_thumb.gi

0z GGEM made a pretty big shift northward from 12z, from its Euro flatness to skirting southern PA with some light snow. UKMET nearby with light snow into PA. New European sounded slightly better but still generally a miss even for DC. Pretty decent moves on the models tonight other than the Euro. As such, the troll potential is very high. 

To be fair, the NAM seems to have some predictable biases (over amplification of storms and extending QPF boundaries too far west on coastals) but some times it gets criticized for the extreme amount of QPF it shows when it ends up pretty close...overall it did much better than the GFS (I think) in New England with the recent blizzard.

Ha, nice.

Don Sutherland posted a while ago about some crazy 1770s blizzard in Boston that sounded even crazier than this one.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Weather.pdf

first off this is just an unreal document if you are into weather and history... second check out the part about the 1770s - specifically pages 575 and 577 discuss Boston snow in 1770s

Interesting to read how snow/hurricanes/etc were documented back then

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Weather.pdf

first off this is just an unreal document if you are into weather and history... second check out the part about the 1770s - specifically pages 575 and 577 discuss Boston snow in 1770s

Interesting to read how snow/hurricanes/etc were documented back then

That's very cool, thanks for sharing. One thing I learned is how often the River Thames used to flood. How did London survive all that. 

Current 12z runs of NAM/GFS give south central PA nice 4-8" swath of snow. Let's hope it holds on the North trends.

Saussy and canderson...gfs says happy valentines day lol.

Yeah not a bad run at all for those south of 80 and east of 99, I'd take .25" liquid lol

12zgfsp24066.gif

Hey now...i like it!

To be fair, the NAM seems to have some predictable biases (over amplification of storms and extending QPF boundaries too far west on coastals) but some times it gets criticized for the extreme amount of QPF it shows when it ends up pretty close...overall it did much better than the GFS (I think) in New England with the recent blizzard.

I was thinking the same thing. It wasn't correct verbatim, but it did predict the banding that led to the extreme snowfall amounts, first over NY NY, then over LI. There's a thread in the NE forum that discusses model performance last weekend.

Archived