Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - February 2013

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder how much Altoona got this morning. Their ground looks solidly white on web cams. 

I haven't ventured down there yet today but we have about a half inch or so on the ground up here. Nice to see everything white again so quickly after our washout yesterday.

On Weather World's extended forecast last night, nothing through the 6th and hinted at some moderation after that.  Latest 12Z GFS supports that notion.

Yeah long rang looking dull as of now...just a few t to 2 type clipper events. Keep in mind with these it ll be upper 20s low 30s so ratios will not be a huge help.

Read the long range thread in the Philly subforum. The models are kind of useless in the mid-long range due to the complicated pattern that has set up and that cuts both ways - don't get your hopes up if you see a storm and don't get too discouraged if you don't see anything. 

Read the long range thread in the Philly subforum. The models are kind of useless in the mid-long range due to the complicated pattern that has set up and that cuts both ways - don't get your hopes up if you see a storm and don't get too discouraged if you don't see anything. 

that sounds like every winter :P

We are running low on quality winter left lol, tomorrow is february and it wont be long until we bring up sun angle. Hope somethings cooking.

:rolleyes:   Yeah we should probably just give up on the two months wherein we are most likely to see large snowstorms in this part of the state.

:rolleyes:   Yeah we should probably just give up on the two months wherein we are most likely to see large snowstorms in this part of the state.

You're right. It's not like we ever get humongo snowstorms after feb 1st. The "storm of the century" actually never happened. It was a conspiracy, thought up by the same guys who thought up the moon landing and nessie.

Hey, mother nature, you there? Wmsptwx would like you to know that winter is about over. kthx.

Actually, according to MU, February has the highest average total snowfall for the lancaster area.

You're right. It's not like we ever get humongo snowstorms after feb 1st. The "storm of the century" actually never happened. It was a conspiracy, thought up by the same guys who thought up the moon landing and nessie.

Hey, mother nature, you there? Wmsptwx would like you to know that winter is about over. kthx.

Actually, according to MU, February has the highest average total snowfall for the lancaster area.

Averages for State College based on the COOP data since 1893:

January: 11.8"

February: 10.8"

March: 9.8"

April: 2.0"

lol I know winter isnt over there fellas, but its fair to say the sun angle is a definite issue in a couple.weeks esp. with types of storms we have been getting.

Sun angle doesn't become an issue until after Valentine's Day from 40.5N and points south.  It's March 1st for the rest of the state, IMO.

EDIT:  PDII made a joke out of the sun angle theorem however, just goes to show you anomalous set-ups take climo out behind the wood shed.

Nice squall moving through right now. Like the call by NWS for 1-2" through Fri eve. I was skeptical of much snow shower activity but this is the most snow showers I've seen all winter. Haven't had many of them like past ones.

Snowing pretty decently down here right now as well, radar activity has picked up.

I think we'll make out pretty well the next several days with the clipper train. Certainly not the most glamorous way to pick up snow but by about this time next week I could see us racking up several inches adding up all these minor events and LES. 

Snowing pretty decently down here right now as well, radar activity has picked up.

I think we'll make out pretty well the next several days with the clipper train. Certainly not the most glamorous way to pick up snow but by about this time next week I could see us racking up several inches adding up all these minor events and LES. 

Just put a special weather statement out for it. The Port Matilda VFD siren is going off now, I bet yet another I99 wreck.

Any shot at an organized band pulling together from off Lake Huron? That's how some of the higher totals actually make it east of the Alleghenies. Some of those were fun in my time up there. Looks like around Philipsburg's been in some of the heavier action today.

The flow's too flat (westerly) for a Huron connected band to drop into Central PA. The Huron connection is hooked up with the major band off of Ontario that's between Cuse and Watertown. Actually that looks like possibly a 3 lake combo of Superior/Huron/Ontario. The major band off of Erie going into the Buffalo south towns has a Lake Michigan connection. I'd love to be under that Ontario band.  We actually haven't had a conducive flow for a Huron band yet this year. Lack of NAO blocking probably hasn't helped the prospect of getting that NW/NNW trajectory behind big systems.

There's still some pretty nice bands of snow around C-PA this eve. Looks like the best one is moving into Milesburg and Bellefonte currently. 

Scoreboard through January:

MDT

Season Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Season

2012-2013    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   1.1   6.4   2.3     -     -     -     -     -     9.8
             Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec   Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun  SeasonAverage      0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.9   5.0   9.7   9.9   4.9   0.8   0.0   0.0    31.2Average through Jan 31 - 15.6Currently at 63% of average

UNV

Season       Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec   Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun  Season2012-2013    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   1.0  13.9   8.6     -     -     -     -     -    23.5
             Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec   Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun  SeasonAverage      0.0   0.0   0.0   0.3   2.2   7.7  12.7  11.0  10.2   1.4   0.0   0.0    45.6
Average through Jan 31 - 22.9Currently at 103% of average

IPT

Season       Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec   Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun  Season2012-2013    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   1.8  13.9   7.3     -     -     -     -     -    23.0
          Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec   Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun  SeasonAverage      0.0   0.0   0.0   0.1   1.6   6.9  11.0   8.8   7.0   1.1   0.0   0.0    36.4
Average through Jan 31 - 19.6

Currently at 117% of average 

Archived