joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2013

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you're an old man. Ha!

Yeah, looks like a mostly rain event for us down here, with not too much precip regardless. I could go for a little rain to wash the caked salt off roads and sidewalks.

i realized i wasn't wearing my reading glasses :whistle:

I think I need a weekend getaway...Beantown, anyone?

Holy mother of God, the Euro blows about SNE with a crazy blizzard. Road trip to Boston!

yeah their in the cross hairs right now, WOW!

anyone wanna chime in about Friday? Rain, sleet, snow? alomost looks warm to me?? thoughts.......

I never liked these kind of systems for central PA, it seems like the primary will drag a lot of warm air in to create at least mixed precip for you guys and then the coastal will quickly end whatever's falling back there when it takes over. I called these "middle finger" storms because sometimes the precip output literally appears like one in that there's a moderate stripe of snow over the Ohio Valley and Lakes, a shadowing effect over C PA, and then the really heavy stuff over the coast. Maybe a weaker primary could help but an 850mb low going NW of you is almost always a killer.

I never liked these kind of systems for central PA, it seems like the primary will drag a lot of warm air in to create at least mixed precip for you guys and then the coastal will quickly end whatever's falling back there when it takes over. I called these "middle finger" storms because sometimes the precip output literally appears like one in that there's a moderate stripe of snow over the Ohio Valley and Lakes, a shadowing effect over C PA, and then the really heavy stuff over the coast. Maybe a weaker primary could help but an 850mb low going NW of you is almost always a killer.

Yeah, agreed. 

I am looking forward to the rest of winter, based on some of the stuff I am reading in the other threads. We are far from done. We just might be able to pull of normal snowfall this year, we're at 26.6 right now, 19" to go. 

I was in NEPA for that storm...worst winter heartbreak ever.

Should have been here. We got 15. 

Then the next week with the second storm, students were complaining about not getting off that day, and the PSU administration started ripping into students on the FB page. As someone who works in communications and social media, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Fortunately, the person responsible got into trouble and they've got a lot better. But it was kind of funny. 

I was too young to remember 93. So why not have another. That week in 2010 was epic. 22 inches for the first storm and another 13 inches for the second. Plus the wind made some huge snow drifts. I was home for both. My mom had tendonitis in her elbow so I took a few days off to help do some chores around the house. My body was so sore  from shoveling and snow blowing. But it was pure epic greatness. 

Snowmageddon I and II were classic events. I was working in Hershey at the time and Smowmageddon I took place on a Friday. As seems to be the case with these big storms, the models were on it all week long so the night before I went grocery shopping and made a run to the state story in Palmyra. The next day, Friday, I left work at 3:00 pm, it had just started to flurry. I stopped at Beer Zoo in HBG and stocked up. That night was a drunken adventure.

Smowmageddon II taking place on a Tuesday was pretty cool. It had gotten me the first and only 2 "snow days" of my adult life.

I'll take more, please.

Jamie, you would know this because we're the same age and you lived down this way growing up. What was the date of the '83 storm? My memory says 2/13 but I'm not sure.

Models hinting at something on 2/13 this year. 30 year anniversary?

2/11-12 - close enough.

Just an insane storm. Of course, we would be pissed up here as it missed true central PA

lol atomix that was a once in a lifetime deal...it was rough but Im over it. Very slippery out tonight...fzdz.

on the bright side, we have multiple opportunities and some look to have white in them....much better than all of the winters over crap weve been hearing on the boards.  First week of Feb which is typically the month that "it likes to snow", so lets sit back and enjoy the model runs, despite if we get all of the snow that we want in our backyard...

I'm going snowmobiling this weekend at the cabin and I hope we get even 2-4 up there and it'll be enough to make me smile.  Sounds like a pre V Day show of love on some of the models for next week too....

Nut

Archived