Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2013

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Martin in PHL thread: Where the NAM had 13" snow (and 3+" QPF) the GFS has 3" snow (and less than 1" QPF).

I think reality is gonna lie some where between these extremes in the regions that see the worst of this storm. The NAM puts out some pretty obscene QPF numbers that probably should be cut in half, or at least a third... but I wouldn't necessarily apply that outside of the ground zero regions. I mean if you cut the precip in half back in our area you'd end up with what the GFS had. It's a toss up which one of these ends up being right back like where me and Jamie are, but I side more with the NAM with what it has in that York-MDT-IPT corridor. 

anyone kno qpf outputs for gfs?

for MDT it is about half of NAM... then I closed the window because I am not trusting the GFS right now...

GFS struggles with handling phasing... often why euro locks in on an event days out while GFS comes and goes as it pleases... so with phasing appearing to be one factor causing a difference in GFS vs NAM and EURO I am leaning away from GFS but not as drastic as NAM

GFS is OTS on 2/14...lol, just kill me now.

If it is poorly handling the event in the near future (tomorrow) that is going to impact everything that happens downstream from there... not too worried about it yet but would be nice to see euro hint at something being worth watching as well

If it is poorly handling the event in the near future (tomorrow) that is going to impact everything that happens downstream from there... not too worried about it yet but would be nice to see euro hint at something being worth watching as well

Until the Euros 0z run last night both of those models had this system in some fashion for a couple runs, either a coastal or a miller B (or truncated miller B fail to the lower lakes). I'm content to keep that on the back burner for now, still a week out so it could def come back. 

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1056 PM EST THU FEB 07 2013

VALID FEB 08/0000 UTC THRU FEB 11/1200 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

00Z NAM EVALUATION

THE 00Z NAM IS TOO WARM INVOF H85 ON THE ORDER OF 2 TO 3C ACROSS

THE INTERIOR OF THE MID-ATLANTIC FROM CENTRAL VA NEWD INTO E CNTRL

PA AS SUGGEST BY THE 00Z KIAD RAOB.

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1056 PM EST THU FEB 07 2013

VALID FEB 08/0000 UTC THRU FEB 11/1200 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

00Z NAM EVALUATION

THE 00Z NAM IS TOO WARM INVOF H85 ON THE ORDER OF 2 TO 3C ACROSS

THE INTERIOR OF THE MID-ATLANTIC FROM CENTRAL VA NEWD INTO E CNTRL

PA AS SUGGEST BY THE 00Z KIAD RAOB.

Lol the NAM too warm at H85? Imagine that.

Won't that mean it came too west, too strong?

Well just caught another post in the New England thread that said GFS did the same thing. I guess if the same damn thing led to two really different conclusions between the NAM and GFS it's time for the Euro to settle this soon. I've been angry at the NAM for being way too warm aloft for the setup in PA the last few days and it finally has gotten better throughout its cycle today. The Euro has been way cooler than the other guidance all along, especially at 850.. suggesting all snow in most of PA even when the NAM had it raining to the NY border.

00Z NAM/GFS EVALUATION

THE 00Z NAM AND 00Z GFS ARE BOTH TOO WARM INVOF H85 ON THE ORDER

OF 2 TO 3C ACROSS THE INTERIOR OF THE MID-ATLANTIC FROM CENTRAL VA

NEWD INTO E CNTRL PA AS SUGGEST BY THE 00Z KIAD RAOB.

EDIT: I can confirm that via the HPC model diagnostic discussion

Actually it's more of a Miller A due to the fact there are really two storms. The coastal and the frontal boundary coming from the west. it's just the coastal is going to absorb the energy from the western system. Miller B's transfer energy to a new system on the coast. We already have our established coastal it just hasn't deepened rapidly yet. Not picking at anyone just sharing information.  

Mag you have the digits? guessing .15 or .2.

Your .44" still. MDT/LNS is about 0.3-0.35" JST/AOO/UNV a couple tenths or so. Won't see the maps for awhile but kind sounds like it isn't as expansive with its backlash maybe. These amounts in our particular region are probably about on par with the GFS. 

Archived