joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow threats for the mountains.

Met1985

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a solid inch here in Weaverville. I guess I will count myself lucky. Still can't understand why Buncombe isn't under a WWA. GSP really needs to split the county like they do Jackson.

I agree.  We had nothing here in S Asheville.  I saw a good burst of snow yesterday evening which whitened a few patches around the yard and that was essentially it.  Off and on snow showers ever since.  It was pretty to look at and my daughter was happy to see snow, go outside and catch snowflakes with her tongue, so I will not complain.

well nothing here in candler other than some flurries.  let's hope something pops up in the next couple of weeks, something substantial.  these last few clippers has given nothing to the candler area other than a few snow flakes.  must be a dry slot here this year. :cry:

well nothing here in candler other than some flurries.  let's hope something pops up in the next couple of weeks, something substantial.  these last few clippers has given nothing to the candler area other than a few snow flakes.  must be a dry slot here this year. :cry:

I am afraid it is near impossible to get cold air and substantial precip here in the French Broad Valley in the Asheville area.  We must have blocking allowing cold air to stay in place and moisture approach from the gulf.  Otherwise we live in a snow desert.  I think the winters of 09/10 and 10/11 will be the ones kids now will be telling their kids about.  We are right back to where we were before those winters except it seems warmer.  I guess we can still hope for a freak storm like 1993.

I am afraid it is near impossible to get cold air and substantial precip here in the French Broad Valley in the Asheville area.  We must have blocking allowing cold air to stay in place and moisture approach from the gulf.  Otherwise we live in a snow desert.  I think the winters of 09/10 and 10/11 will be the ones kids now will be telling their kids about.  We are right back to where we were before those winters except it seems warmer.  I guess we can still hope for a freak storm like 1993.

I was stunned on the way into work to say the least. I left with at least 2" on the ground & by the time I got to the UNCA exit there was nothing on the ground & the Sun was peaking out (app 10:45 am). The valley can be a brutal place!

I was stunned on the way into work to say the least. I left with at least 2" on the ground & by the time I got to the UNCA exit there was nothing on the ground & the Sun was peaking out (app 10:45 am). The valley can be a brutal place!

Asheville is on the southern fringe of the NW flow events.  Weaverville and north can be a different world when it comes to winter weather.  When I used to work downtown, on numerous occasions, it would be cloudy with snow flurries and you look south toward Hendersonville and the sun would be out. 

Asheville is on the southern fringe of the NW flow events.  Weaverville and north can be a different world when it comes to winter weather.  When I used to work downtown, on numerous occasions, it would be cloudy with snow flurries and you look south toward Hendersonville and the sun would be out. 

Agree with you completly on the NWFS but, imo this was a little bit different being a clipper event. NE TN, N GA, & the SW Mnts including the valleys had spots that did really well which is not normal in flow snow events. The models seemed to nail this one in Buncombe. I would have a really hard time living in the Southern end of the county!

There's been talk of this the past several years. Too many political county angles always get in the way. We can't just split up a zone at our choosing.

Speaking of splitting up counties, I have never totally understood why McDowell was split into two sections several years ago. The only folks I can think of who live in the area called "McDowell Mountains" are those few who live on the McDowell side of Little Switzerland. There are just about none who live above 2000 ft near Old Fort and close to none in the North Cove area who live above 2000 ft. Infact, the vast majority of North Cove is in a valley before you climb up the mountains. If you travel 221, I can only think of a house or two between Linville Caverns and the Burke and Avery County lines.

Speaking of splitting up counties, I have never totally understood why McDowell was split into two sections several years ago. The only folks I can think of who live in the area called "McDowell Mountains" are those few who live on the McDowell side of Little Switzerland. There are just about none who live above 2000 ft near Old Fort and close to none in the North Cove area who live above 2000 ft. Infact, the vast majority of North Cove is in a valley before you climb up the mountains. If you travel 221, I can only think of a house or two between Linville Caverns and the Burke and Avery County lines.

Just a guess but I would assume it was totally geographically based.  That makes sense to me.

Jburns is right. Those counties were sectioned off due to terrain differences and the different micro-climates observed. This is why we now issue separate mtn top fcsts as well, even tho maybe only a few people live there.

Check out these insane stats!All-time statewide extremes
Data available from Jan 1, 1870 to Feb 2, 2013

Event Location Date Highest Temperature
[show the top five events] 110°F** Fayetteville, Cumberland County Aug 21, 1983 Lowest Temperature
[show the top five events] -34°F Mount Mitchell, Yancey County Jan 21, 1985 Greatest One-Day Precipitation
[show the top five events] 21.15 in. Highlands, Macon County Jul 29, 1879 Greatest One-Day Snowfall
[show the top five events] 36.0 in. Mount Mitchell, Yancey County Mar 13, 1993 Greatest 24-Hour Rainfall
22.22 in. Altapass, Mitchell County Jul 15-16, 1916 Greatest Single Storm Snowfall
60.0 in.** Newfound Gap, Swain County Apr 2-6, 1987
(unofficial) 50.0 in. Mount Mitchell, Yancey County Mar 12-14, 1993
(official) Greatest 24-Hour Temperature Change
63°F Blowing Rock, Watauga County Jan 9, 1978 Greatest Precipitation in One Calendar Year
129.60 in. Rosman, Transylvania County 1964 Least Precipitation in One Calendar Year
22.69 in. Mount Airy, Surry County 1930 Warmest Weather Station*
[show the top five stations] 63.8°F Willard, Pender County annual average Coldest Weather Station*
[show the top five stations] 43.8°F Mount Mitchell, Yancey County annual average Wettest Weather Station*
[show the top five stations] 91.72 in. Lake Toxaway, Transylvania County annual average Driest Weather Station*
[show the top five stations] 37.32 in. Asheville, Buncombe County annual average

There's been talk of this the past several years. Too many political county angles always get in the way. We can't just split up a zone at our choosing.

I forgot we talked about this a while ago. Wish you guys weren't bound by issues like this and could do the job you are paid to do properly.

Check out these insane stats!All-time statewide extremes 

Least Precipitation in One Calendar Year 22.69 in. Mount Airy, Surry County 1930

Driest Weather Station*[show the top five stations] 37.32 in. Asheville, Buncombe County annual average

Well, this data explains a couple of things:

1:  Mt. Airy lies in the shadow of the Apps, and it (like other foothills locations) can be prone to lack of precipitation, including that of the wintery type.

2:  Asheville is in a major precipitation shadow.  Our posters from that area have been lamenting the lack of snowfall recently, and this confirms that they shouldn't expect much precipitation, of any variety.

Well, this data explains a couple of things:

1:  Mt. Airy lies in the shadow of the Apps, and it (like other foothills locations) can be prone to lack of precipitation, including that of the wintery type.

2:  Asheville is in a major precipitation shadow.  Our posters from that area have been lamenting the lack of snowfall recently, and this confirms that they shouldn't expect much precipitation, of any variety.

What is amazing is that Asheville is the driest part of the state. And not too far away lake toxaway is the wettest. We are talking 91 inches per year of rainfall for Lake Toxaway and 37 a year for Asheville.

I wish I could see 22 inches of snow in a 24 hour period!

What is amazing is that Asheville is the driest part of the state. And not too far away lake toxaway is the wettest. We are talking 91 inches per year of rainfall for Lake Toxaway and 37 a year for Asheville.

I wish I could see 22 inches of snow in a 24 hour period!

If I had to work in Asheville, I would not live in Asheville.  I would go 30 minutes west to Waynesville and get in on the action.  This map pretty much shows the shadow of the french broad river valley.

post-347-0-67456700-1359997591_thumb.png

If I had to work in Asheville, I would not live in Asheville.  I would go 30 minutes west to Waynesville and get in on the action.  This map pretty much shows the shadow of the french broad river valley.

You can see that just east of the Balsam's the downsloping is in full force. That is the spot to live really. The Balsam's are a snow magnet!

Archived