• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
1/25-1/26 Storm Disco Thread

NOVAForecaster

I am on board in that I think we have a 50/50 chance of our first area wide greater then 2" event in a LONG time. The other day I was just getting frustrated with the whole "we need the cold to snow" comments being thrown around. If this works out it will be because the northern stream is sending that clipper in ahead of it to reinforce the trough in the east, and then hopefully wont get in the way too much and yank this thing to our north. I do think this is our best chance since the January 2011 storm for a significant snowfall in our area, but its still only 50/50 at this range. I am down on the winter because I am not a huge fan of February snow unless its going to be a big storm. One thing I like living up here is we usually can hold onto snowcover for a couple weeks at a time in good patterns. Last winter and now this one has been a total waste in that department. And once into Feb its hard even up here to really hold snowcover, the sun just starts getting too strong. Even a sunny day with a high in the 30's will take out snowcover in February. Sorry for my miserable outlook lately. I will try to keep it in check from now on.

Please do....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the nam doesn't suck per se it's just not supposed to be used very heavily for a synoptic winter storm so far out.

The NAM can be very useful if someone has the skill to know how to use it. It has the ability to pick out meso scale features the global models cannot. It can do much better with things like CAD and thermal profiles. For the larger scale things like storm track and such use the globals..but the NAM can help figure out some details within the storms. You just have to know how to adjust to for "reality" when it is usually off the reservation in some major way with regards to the location of its features. Too many people do not know how to use it, so they just see its way off on the SLP location and declare it is garbage, it is garbage if you are trying to use it for storm tracks of synoptic events 72 hours out. I actually with they only ran it to 48 hours like in the old ETA days...would cut down on the crap we have to read about it.

I miss the 80s and no model runs to make me like a meth addict

in theory, it's not much different than tracking the weather channel or your local weather forecasts back in the day.  it's just easier now and with all the different model outputs, it's hard to keep the emotions in check.  the best thing to do is probably accept that at 4 days out, the model runs will change...and change again.  

in theory, it's not much different than tracking the weather channel or your local weather forecasts back in the day. it's just easier now and with all the different model outputs, it's hard to keep the emotions in check. the best thing to do is probably accept that at 4 days out, the model runs will change...and change again.

Back then all you really had was about a 48-72 hour lead time and specifics could really be thrown out the door. It was more, there's a chance for snow. It ate at my weenie heart. Then came the 90s and the ETA...and 93 and it's long lead for something big which made me think we had reached the future and would know our snowstorms from 7 days out everytime

Back then all you really had was about a 48-72 hour lead time and specifics could really be thrown out the door. It was more, there's a chance for snow. It ate at my weenie heart. Then came the 90s and the ETA...and 93 and it's long lead for something big which made me think we had reached the future and would know our snowstorms from 7 days out everytime

i think another thing is that we're now able to match the look of a model output with what we've experienced, so when you see a blue blob over dc, you start picturing 4-6" of snow.  then, if the next model run dries up, it dashes your hopes.  i would imagine most meteorologists are able to curb their emotions easier because they have a lot more knowledge and aren't hugging each model run.  they see a lot more details and understand atmospheric physics a lot more than the typical armchair weather forecaster.

i think another thing is that we're now able to match the look of a model output with what we've experienced, so when you see a blue blob over dc, you start picturing 4-6" of snow.  then, if the next model run dries up, it dashes your hopes.  i would imagine most meteorologists are able to curb their emotions easier because they have a lot more knowledge and aren't hugging each model run.  they see a lot more details and understand atmospheric physics a lot more than the typical armchair weather forecaster.

You've solved your own puzzle here. Don't take each run at face value, know local climate, know model strengths and weaknesses and we won't have many issues. :)

You've solved your own puzzle here. Don't take each run at face value, know local climate, know model strengths and weaknesses and we won't have many issues. :)

yea i try to learn as much as i can on the side.  sometimes, i wish i went back for a grad degree so i knew the what the heck i was looking at.  whenever i try to act like i know what i'm talking about i see posts made by actual meteorologists on here and i then crawl back into my hole lol.  after living here for most of my whole life, though, i do a decent job sniffing out a potential bust. 

yea i try to learn as much as i can on the side.  sometimes, i wish i went back for a grad degree so i knew the what the heck i was looking at.  whenever i try to act like i know what i'm talking about i see posts made by actual meteorologists on here and i then crawl back into my hole lol.  after living here my whole life, though, i do a decent job sniffing out a potential bust. 

Hah, well-- the big thing is never take a model output literal. The rest is gravy...

Archived