gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
1/25-1/26 Storm Disco Thread

NOVAForecaster

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the GFS could be right...it happened on 1/16/03....had a WSW and same thing....flying V formation into a frigid air mass and got 1/2

Yeah I'd be worried at least a little about that happening. The GFS ens members were suggesting it yesterday at least. Plus the Euro ens mean has been drier than ops.

Very good point meddler, makes sense. I have seen consistency in the Pac s/w. I agree with you, the GFS has just been all over the place.

It's been pretty consistent with the low placement in the Ohio Valley. It's just had two dry runs. I guess that low in MN stays dominant too long. Hell, I don't know. It's a long way to Friday. Surely we expected some bumps in the road. I just don't want a repeat of last weeks nightmare.

The 18z members were pretty nice overall, and additionally I've never seen the Euro ens wetter than the op, just for me. 

well i'm usually cautious with systems coming in from the west especially if the vort isnt perfectly placed but my winter storm library in my brain is small. even rain has a tendency to disappear from that angle.

Over 10 frames with over 1mm in Baltimore, one near 3mm. Does something weird with the low but that thing usually does. 

actually its believable...gets the primary to about Pitt then redevelops it over the delmarva.  Not that unusual and wouldnt be a bad track.  We do ok with CAD with that track.  Would imply a nice 3-5" type event for DC and Baltimore, maybe a bit more for northern burbs. 

actually its believable...gets the primary to about Pitt then redevelops it over the delmarva.  Not that unusual and wouldnt be a bad track.  We do ok with CAD with that track.  Would imply a nice 3-5" type event for DC and Baltimore, maybe a bit more for northern burbs. 

Yeah actually verbatim about 6" for Baltimore. 

Yeah it looks like 9 hours of snow followed by 2 hours of some kind of ice out here. I would take that.

Yeah actually verbatim about 6" for Baltimore. 

I was basing my assessment more on what that track would probably imply over what the precip output of the model says.  With the primary getting to Pitt my guess is a warm layer might cut into snow accumulations a bit but its not a bad track and we can do well with that.  I would take it in this winter. 

I was basing my assessment more on what that track would probably imply over what the precip output of the model says.  With the primary getting to Pitt my guess is a warm layer might cut into snow accumulations a bit but its not a bad track and we can do well with that.  I would take it in this winter. 

Of course, I'd expect with that though not really a warm layer N of BWI, UKMET takes a 996 into S OH at 96, then its shown 987 in ME at 120. Precip at 72 with a 1007 in OK breaking out all the way over to GA. Would imply a nice run, as 96 has isobars stretched to the S. I like. 

With the NAM, UKMET, and GGEM all staying the snow course, I wouldn't worry too much. The GFS does this sort of thing all the time. Euro should hold OK. This one seems fairly locked-in for a couple of inches of powder, at least.

And at 4 days, 12z GFS has better verification rate than the 00z.  That's grasping but, whatever....

Archived