wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
1/25-1/26 Storm Disco Thread

NOVAForecaster

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got my answer, I won't be posting them.  

Forum Tip: You can post anything from the NWS or sites that you don't have to login/subscription for. Places like Twisterdata, PSU E-Wall, All NWS/NOAA/Government sites, etc. Most of these places have all the data free anyway because the GFS/NAM etc. are products of the US Government which by default is free for the public. The only catch is when it comes to the Euro or the CMC, however, on the forums we usually paraphrase or give out details of the run in our own words. You can still say for example "Well, at hr 156 850 temps on the euro for IAD are -.6°C" That's totally fine and, in fact encouraged. :)

99 hrs on 18z gfs imby

probably still snow, with some grains; almost all the precip has fallen by then

RESS HGT(MSL) TEMP DEW PT  WND DIR  WND SPD HPA       M      C     C       DEG     M/S   E = Estimated Surface Height  998.    73.   -2.3   -3.0   200.5     6.1  975.   263.   -3.6   -4.3   206.4    11.4  950.   469.   -4.8   -5.1   208.2    15.3  925.   677.   -5.4   -5.6   213.1    19.7  900.   893.   -3.6   -3.9   222.5    26.3  850.  1350.    0.3   -0.3   234.5    35.8  800.  1836.   -0.4   -0.6   244.9    37.0  750.  2351.   -2.4   -2.5   252.4    35.4  700.  2897.   -5.0   -5.3   256.3    33.0  650.  3476.   -8.1   -8.5   257.9    31.6  600.  4094.  -11.4  -11.5   252.7    31.7

one other consideration re the NAM, recall it was the farthest North with the precip in the last storm at the end of its range and was wrong

if it's making a similar error with this event, it's right there with the GFS and almost the Euro

I really don't buy anything other than an all snow event, I really don't. But I guess anything is possible around here.

Yes, yes, yes.

The antecedent arctic airmass is the key. The EC is once again leading the way, being the first model that didn't slam a weak low from the OH Vly directly east through the terrain and into the strong arctic-aided CAD here in the mid Atlantic. I'd be more concerned about the system trending too far south and we end up cold and dry.

At thr very least, even with the unlikely northern low track, we get a few inches of snow in the strong WAA pattern. The other nice thing about an arctic airmass: you can't transition back to a more normal thermal regime without going through a period of good isentropic ascent, considering how stacked those low-mid level theta surfaces are initially.

GFS is a bit wetter but fairly close vs 12z with surface progression. 

One thing I did notice it 500 keeps ticking better. Just a hunch but I have a feeling the gfs will start trending south with the surface low tonight. It's showing up in the approach and pass of the ull energy. These comparisons show what I'm talking about (12z on left - 18z on right):

GFS is a bit wetter but fairly close vs 12z with surface progression. 

One thing I did notice it 500 keeps ticking better. Just a hunch but I have a feeling the gfs will start trending south with the surface low tonight. It's showing up in the approach and pass of the ull energy. These comparisons show what I'm talking about (12z on left - 18z on right):

attachicon.gif12-18zgfs5h.JPG

attachicon.gif12-18z500.JPG

I agree bob, and what I like is that the low comes more from the SW on the Euro and more so on the recent 18z gfs compared to the 12z. It is possible the southern stream wave could be a bit underestimated, which of course would do good things for us. Regardless, I like our spot, but am cautiously optimistic. 

I agree bob, and what I like is that the low comes more from the SW on the Euro and more so on the recent 18z gfs compared to the 12z. It is possible the southern stream wave could be a bit underestimated, which of course would do good things for us. Regardless, I like our spot, but am cautiously optimistic. 

It's not a very complicated system. I think our paranoia (which is justified) is getting in the way with the fact that waa precip breaking out in front of a modest area of vorticity in a slightly amplified flow is pretty easy to model and not really high on the bust potential. At least not this close. Major shift in track isn't that likely at this point either because the good globals are pretty close as it is now. 

My above paragraph is a long way of saying it's getting close to certain that our biggest area wide storm since jan 2011 has become high probability. 

yeah....that was kind of my gist...that when it comes to a discrete event at this range the mean becomes increasingly less useful versus the proclivity of individual members

The probabilities for various Ptypes from the 18Z GEFS ensemble members has the probability for snow much higher than either sleet or freezing rain through 06Z 26 Jan.  I think that is encouraging. 

Archived