e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the funny part was someone saying the day 7 or 8 sys looks better than either of the last two. i guess we forgot what yesterday looked like as recently as late monday.

It sue doesn't. we need to hope it looks better with time.  Still there does look to be some potential for a clipper.  Maybe we can 0.50" our way to getting even with last year or for the western guys,  smashing last year.

It sue doesn't. we need to hope it looks better with time. Still there does look to be some potential for a clipper. Maybe we can 0.50" our way to getting even with last year or for the western guys, smashing last year.

We are not getting .50 qpf from a clipper

the funny part was someone saying the day 7 or 8 sys looks better than either of the last two. i guess we forgot what yesterday looked like as recently as late monday.

I said that but in the context of what is being modeled now at 500 for day 7ish compared to how both of the last 2 systems verified. Just saying that there is potential on the gfs even if the surface looks crappy. And we know how well the surface panels at 7 day leads have been verifying.

I've long held the opinion that winter goes as Dec goes. You can always point out exceptions (Dec 89 comes to mind), but based on my fallible recollections at least, it seems to have merit.

I like your opinion and I have to agree. Lets try and stay positive. The ultimate slap in the face will be when more cold air arrives and all we get in return is dry sky's .

I said that but in the context of what is being modeled now at 500 for day 7ish compared to how both of the last 2 systems verified. Just saying that there is potential on the gfs even if the surface looks crappy. And we know how well the surface panels at 7 day leads have been verifying.

I think we have chances at some nickel dimers over the next week to 10 days and then our 1 st legit chance for a real storm comes within a couple days on either side of the weekend of feb 8-10. Low confidence. But I am sticking with it.

It's a bummer how this winter turned out specially after the chance of seeing a weak El Niño developing and then it slowly disappears. Then we are left with another so far disappointing winter. I still feel that we can squeeze out some snow before all said and done on this years winter. If I had to place a bet on the remainder snowfall I would say 5-9" but more so 6".

Your anecdotal recollections never fail to be bad

Perhaps, but I know that (late) Nov and Dec 95 were pretty good out here, as was Dec 02, and Dec 09 wasn't too bad either.  I can't recall, however, how Dec 86 went down.  Dec 08 was snowless just like that entire winter.  Dec 10 was a perfect reflection of the bulk of that coming winter: windy, cold, and dry.  Dec 11 was warm and snowless, just like the entire winter turned out.  I'm sure there are more examples, just as I'm sure there are exceptions also.

06Z NAM in its long range (so take it with a grain of salt) looks somewhat interesting. Develops a potent low (991mb in N Alabama and Miss) on the trailing cold front and then begins to bring it up. Looking at the 500's they probably imply that it would bring it up just to our west. Might be something to keep an eye to see if the other models might begin to hint at this.

06Z NAM in its long range (so take it with a grain of salt) looks somewhat interesting. Develops a potent low (991mb in N Alabama and Miss) on the trailing cold front and then begins to bring it up. Looking at the 500's they probably imply that it would bring it up just to our west. Might be something to keep an eye to see if the other models might begin to hint at this.

I can't find any other guidance in line with this. I suppose anything is possible, but call me skeptical of this.

It's almost humorous to watch storm after storm form and ride up the front side of these massive troughs we've had. It would be great to get a trough whose axis wasn't off the east coast just one time.

I can't find any other guidance in line with this. I suppose anything is possible, but call me skeptical of this.

It's almost humorous to watch storm after storm form and ride up the front side of these massive troughs we've had. It would be great to get a trough whose axis wasn't off the east coast just one time.

Now why would you be skeptical? After all it is the NAM in it's long range and we know how well it does then. :whistle:

I am at the point where I am hunting for any positive that can be found and that includes the NAM at 84. :)

Archived