• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Late January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

Last half of Feb looks banging with plenty of S/W's. 

So the last 2 weeks of Feb I think we will see normal to slightly above normal anomalies take over the East coast. As the AO starts its accent into more consistent positive territory

Big winners look like a line from KS to upper WI for Feb. I think as the general storm track shifts west with a -PNA for the second half of the month.

So basically you are cancelling MA winter in mid feb and we get rained on a lot? 

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one where the weenie radar will be fun to watch but out the window won't...better than nothing

Really? How do you know that? That's the best it's looked. Who's to say it won't trend even better?

With a low, even though it's weak, to our south, southwesterly flow upstairs, I can't see the mountains robbing this one as bad.

I know it's become fashionable to be as negative as possible here lately, but we could at least give it a chance.

If you call near normal conditions cancelling winter :blink: .....IDK

I was just picking up flipping back to a -pna and losing hl blocking. Even with normal temps we'll roast in front of storms tracking to our west and enjoy cool dry nw winds behind the cold front.

I'd be interested in your thoughts irt the nao. If we get a fat west based -nao it can overcome a -pna to some extent. A neg nao has been nonexistent door to door so far.luckily it hasn't gone way positive so that's a good thing but it hasn't given us an ounce of help either.

We've rehashed snow chances during a -pna regime in detail earlier this year. Wes has some great stats but the short version is a -pna is very bad for ma snow.

The conditions you are describing for the second half of Feb won't be normal this far south. We'll be warm and wet.

If you call near normal conditions cancelling winter :blink: .....IDK

our "Normal" is not snowy, we need a colder then normal pattern to really have much of a chance especially once into the second half of February.  Our normal highs are in the upper 40's by then, that is not really going to cut it.  So yes, if we have had no real snowstorm and you are calling for "Normal" conditions from then out...that is a winter cancel for this area. 

our "Normal" is not snowy, we need a colder then normal pattern to really have much of a chance especially once into the second half of February.  Our normal highs are in the upper 40's by then, that is not really going to cut it.  So yes, if we have had no real snowstorm and you are calling for "Normal" conditions from then out...that is a winter cancel for this area. 

For BWI the norm snowfall is 8" in Feb and 1.9" for March. So if you get more than 2 inches for March technically that is a normal winter by meteorological standards. By weenie standards....which is unobtainable because we all desire an 80 inch blizzard....yes it's an end to winter I guess lol. Meteorologically for the region if we get 6 inches in March we are knocking one out of the park and should be excited! :weight_lift: I really think it depends on the PDO. If it swings positive above .5 in Feb. I think March will be killer...if not...its a dud. 

For BWI the norm snowfall is 8" in Feb and 1.9" for March. So if you get more than 2 inches for March technically that is a normal winter by meteorological standards. By weenie standards....which is unobtainable because we all desire an 80 inch blizzard....yes it's an end to winter I guess lol. Meteorologically for the region if we get 6 inches in March we are knocking one out of the park and should be excited! :weight_lift: I really think it depends on the PDO. If it swings positive above .5 in Feb. I think March will be killer...if not...its a dud. 

Yes but those averages are just a function of a bunch of extreme events being thrown together and smoothed out.  It's not like we get around 8 inches of snow every Feb.  That 8 average is more a function of taking the Febs where its not cold and BWI ends up with an inch or nothing and the ones where we get a -NAO and get 12" plus and averaging them together. Our snow here tends to come in bunches when we get a good pattern then we go through long periods of snow drought.  We really do need a good pattern to have a shot here, we do not luck our way to many snowstorms down here like New England can.  When we have had no significant snows in 2 years and there is nothing likely the first 10 days of Feb, and then you call for "normal" temperatures with a -PNA the rest of Feb and likely +AO...well you don't have to say it but we all know what that likely means for us.  That is NOT the right setup to get snow here and more of what we have had the last 2 years running now since our last real snow. 

Yes but those averages are just a function of a bunch of extreme events being thrown together and smoothed out.  It's not like we get around 8 inches of snow every Feb.  That 8 average is more a function of taking the Febs where its not cold and BWI ends up with an inch or nothing and the ones where we get a -NAO and get 12" plus and averaging them together. Our snow here tends to come in bunches when we get a good pattern then we go through long periods of snow drought.  We really do need a good pattern to have a shot here, we do not luck our way to many snowstorms down here like New England can.  When we have had no significant snows in 2 years and there is nothing likely the first 10 days of Feb, and then you call for "normal" temperatures with a -PNA the rest of Feb and likely +AO...well you don't have to say it but we all know what that likely means for us.  That is NOT the right setup to get snow here and more of what we have had the last 2 years running now since our last real snow. 

I'd like to know the median (not average) snowfall for each month for IAD/DCA/BWI. Anybody know where I might be able to find that?

Archived