• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 25-26 Storm Potential

powderfreak

This storm could really be loads of fun.  Also, once that system passes we see yet another strong and fresh Arctic (or could this be considered Polar given the source it's coming from?) airmass...really hard to see us getting any sustained above average temps really anytime soon which is pretty crazy given what we have seen the past several years.  

That would be crazy though to have like a 5-8'' of pure fluff then ontop of that start getting snow a bit more wet in nature for some and compacting the snow down like crazy.  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could there be some mixing around say.., Dobbs Ferry?

Still a good thump here but could mix with the north trend kicking in. 

Regardless, at least I didn't forecast 2-4" for northern CT last week with a system 500-1000 miles off the coast and then highs in the 30s with 850s of +2 and SW winds ahead of a frontal passage. Not time for you to be going out and criticizing anyone. 

Tip......keep the explanations coming. As one who doesn't post much, I really appreciate the time, thought and science that goes into your posts. I read an article last year that discussed how global warming could increase mid latitude wind flow and more effectively bottle the cold air up north , and lead to a positive ao. Interesting stuff. Hopefully things can relax a bit so we can get a few more hours out if this storm.

Ha ha... yeah, well... I can tone it down and talk in simple non-informed terms just as good as anybody, but some people might actually like to know "why" a faster flow is detrimental.

Sometimes I get the vibe that people just want to be served and fed and entertained, when I think if they understood more about the science behind why x,y,z happened or a,b,c failed to, that might go miles toward them serving, feeding, and entertaining them selves, as opposed to being reliant on others - which is a recipe for disappointment.

but ... you can't penetrate folks' minds with logic if there is no willingness to receive the message ...

Still a good thump here but could mix with the north trend kicking in.

Regardless, at least I didn't forecast 2-4" for northern CT last week with a system 500-1000 miles off the coast and then highs in the 30s with 850s of +2 and SW winds ahead of a frontal passage. Not time for you to be going out and criticizing anyone.

Is everything ok? Has the elastic worn out on your socks?

In 1994 we had a super cold SWFE ...started snowing with temps near 0F.

And people south of me had FZRA with teens....

Coldest synoptic snow I can remember was in Jan 04...I believe it was a clipper. The entire event was about -2F to -5F and it was so cold that the snow growth sucked. The crystals were those little columns and bullets that you get in extremely cold temps in the arctic.

That would be an total insult if we finally got some decent snow in here to replenish my worn dpwn snow shoeing trails and then it torched a few days later.

12z ECM is a torch at Day 9-10 with 8C 850s moving into the Great Lakes and Mid-Atlantic. 

Would be a very short-lived cold spell if that occurred. Hope the reload happens fast. 

Euro is snowing during Fri afternoon here with a temp near 10F.

That does not happen often

It happens sometimes with overrunning events. 2011 we started a SWFE below zero. Full fledged coastals are definitely rare.

Morning of Jan 23, 2005... stuff of legend for Boston area

Archived