• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Jan 17-18th disco thread--1st big threat of the year

Midlo Snow Maker

100% agree.....there's a lot of social science when it comes to watches/warnings....and something the nws hasn't fully gotten pinned down....and people should remember the 5" is just standard watch criteria....i mean maybe the issue is what do you do when you have a 2-3 inch high impact (i.e. rush hour event)....not really allowed to deviate from *Watch* criteria....i think the better argument to have is should we have such rigid criteria for a winter storm watch

great post and points made

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, and that storm missed Richmond. We've been missed every which way you can count.

Incorrect. 3-4" of snow metro-wide.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/wx_events/Snow/feb192012/snowmap.shtml

Starting to get excited for potential down this way tomorrow night. DT is going with 3-6" for RIC proper which is slightly surprising considering his readily apparent snow bias. Looks similar to March 09, which gave me 9-10" (won't be as powerful, though).

the general public only hears 5" and big storm...It sucks that 5" needs to be part of the wording.,..sometimes the government are goofballs..I think they should have waited until this afternoon, evening, but I am sure there is some rule 767A, Statute 16 that makes them issue the watch earlier

yeah, i guess so. tho i see 'possible' too. biggest euro run ever soon. :P

LWX point and click looks fun.

• Thursday Snow likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 37. Northwest wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
  • Thursday Night Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 29. Northwest wind 6 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Edit- even better for fairfax county:

• Thursday Snow, mainly after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 38. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
  • Thursday Night Snow, mainly before 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 29. Northwest wind 6 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Don't we go through the lwx micro analysis every time there is an advisory or greater event? Considering we have a relatively amped up ull low with decent dynamics, surface reflection, and pretty high qpf awfully close to town I don't fault them at all. It's just a watch. Lets prepare people instead of having trees fall on cars with a surprise gridlock. 

I think they are just hedging with caution and the fact that these setups can hit pretty good at times. Are they being agressive? Yes, but I would prefer that at this range than down playing and then having to catch up AFTER everybody is at work and has to drive home. jmho here. 

Uh...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC1228 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013[snip].SHORT TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...A WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THU AND THU NGT FORCENTRAL VA...PORTIONS OF NRN VA...DC...CENTRAL AND SRN MD ANDPENDLETON COUNTY IN WV.12Z MODEL GUIDANCE HAS COME INTO GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE TRACK OFTHE LOW...WHICH IS SIGNIFICANTLY FARTHER NORTH THAN MODELSINDICATED AT THIS TIME YDA. THE LATEST GUIDANCE SHOWS ALL THEINGREDIENTS COMING TOGETHER /E.G. -EPV ABOVE STRONG FRONTOGENESISAND OMEGA MAXIMIZED IN DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE/ FOR MESOSCALEBANDING TO THE NORTH OF THE MID-LVL LOW. THE 12Z NAM/GFS AND MOST09Z SREF MEMBERS SHOW THIS BAND SETTING UP IN CENTRAL VA AND SRNMD FROM MIDDAY TO ERY EVE. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2+ INCHES PER HRWOULD BE POSSIBLE IN THIS BAND...WHICH WOULD SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTTHE EVE RUSH-HOUR COMMUTE. ANY RA/SN MIX AT THE ONSET WILL CHANGEOVER TO SNOW ONCE THE BAND DEVELOPS AND PRECIP INTENSITYINCREASES. SRN MD MAY EXPERIENCE THE MOST MIXING IN THE MRNG WITHSFC TEMPS NEAR 40F AT THE ONSET.CONFIDENCE IN FCST AMNTS DECREASES SIGNIFICANTLY FARTHER NWDTOWARD THE DC METRO AS THERE WILL LIKELY BE A SHARP PRECIP GRADIENTTO THE NORTH OF THE BAND. THE NRN MOST ZONES IN THE WATCHREPRESENT A BUFFER ZONE IN CASE THE FARTHER NWD TREND CONTINUES...WHICH WOULD PLACE THESE AREAS IN A THREAT FOR HVY SNOW. PLEASECONTINUE TO MONITOR OUR FCST UPDATES.

Uh...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC1228 PM EST WED JAN 16 2013[snip].SHORT TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...A WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR THU AND THU NGT FORCENTRAL VA...PORTIONS OF NRN VA...DC...CENTRAL AND SRN MD ANDPENDLETON COUNTY IN WV.12Z MODEL GUIDANCE HAS COME INTO GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE TRACK OFTHE LOW...WHICH IS SIGNIFICANTLY FARTHER NORTH THAN MODELSINDICATED AT THIS TIME YDA. THE LATEST GUIDANCE SHOWS ALL THEINGREDIENTS COMING TOGETHER /E.G. -EPV ABOVE STRONG FRONTOGENESISAND OMEGA MAXIMIZED IN DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE/ FOR MESOSCALEBANDING TO THE NORTH OF THE MID-LVL LOW. THE 12Z NAM/GFS AND MOST09Z SREF MEMBERS SHOW THIS BAND SETTING UP IN CENTRAL VA AND SRNMD FROM MIDDAY TO ERY EVE. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2+ INCHES PER HRWOULD BE POSSIBLE IN THIS BAND...WHICH WOULD SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTTHE EVE RUSH-HOUR COMMUTE. ANY RA/SN MIX AT THE ONSET WILL CHANGEOVER TO SNOW ONCE THE BAND DEVELOPS AND PRECIP INTENSITYINCREASES. SRN MD MAY EXPERIENCE THE MOST MIXING IN THE MRNG WITHSFC TEMPS NEAR 40F AT THE ONSET.CONFIDENCE IN FCST AMNTS DECREASES SIGNIFICANTLY FARTHER NWDTOWARD THE DC METRO AS THERE WILL LIKELY BE A SHARP PRECIP GRADIENTTO THE NORTH OF THE BAND. THE NRN MOST ZONES IN THE WATCHREPRESENT A BUFFER ZONE IN CASE THE FARTHER NWD TREND CONTINUES...WHICH WOULD PLACE THESE AREAS IN A THREAT FOR HVY SNOW. PLEASECONTINUE TO MONITOR OUR FCST UPDATES.

basically explains why dc is in the watch right now, which is understandable.  as others have said, it's just a watch, not warning.  maybe they should make it clearer to the general public that watch does not mean watching for something that's imminent.  it means watching for something that's possible.

basically explains why dc is in the watch right now, which is understandable.  as others have said, it's just a watch, not warning.  maybe they should make it clearer to the general public that watch does not mean watching for something that's imminent.  it means watching for something that's possible.

I meant more the 2"+ snow band part of the AFD, sorry.  I couldn't bold that portion

Archived