Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may not matter very much (who knows though) but at 6pm the park is 37/23. Not too shabby ESP after forecasted high of 44 by nws

I'll wait to see the 00Z RAOB from OKC but the surface temps and dewpoints concern me a bit right now as I felt last night looking at the MOS all showing 35/26 or 37/27 near the coast, this was not an event with boundary layer problems as much as mid-level issues, if evaporate down to 32 or below on an initial shot of snow it won't be easy to recover with a NE surface wind.  There is huge bust potential right now on this at the coast, we're not gonna get 5 inches of snow but we could see an inch and then struggle with sleet or fzra the rest of the event, especially Queens/Bronx/N Queens.

Can't believe there isn't a little more excitement in the air over the potential Miller B threat as early at 160 hours. Almost every model shows a vigirous northern stream shortwave coming around the PV and digging into the M/A. There's also a potential bigger storm looming just 3-4 days after that.

f156.gif

Can't believe there isn't a little more excitement in the air over the potential Miller B threat as early at 160 hours. Almost every model shows a vigirous northern stream shortwave coming around the PV and digging into the M/A. There's also a potential bigger storm looming just 3-4 days after that.

f156.gif

Getting that vort to dig south into the Ohio and Tennessee valleys is key and great to see because that is a very favorable track and would support explosion off the coast with a negative tilt

Also of course we have tremendous cold air available

f156.gif

The individual gefs are even more exciting then the operational.

Does anyone here believe the possible storm for the 22nd. followed by multiple sub-zero days @NYC as depicted in the 18Z GFS?   Can you give logical reasoning either way.  Thanks.   Maybe the programmers have changed the physics package for this run w/o telling us!   Model on steroids or hallucinogenics?

Since the cold pattern has taken 30 days to evolve maybe this is real.    Looks a little like Jan. 19-Feb. 04 1961 but that Dec. was cold with a major out of season storm.

f156.gif

Earthlight, I am with you on this. The potential is there in a big way for next Tuesday, then again on Friday. Both have massive potential. The Euro Control run was a real winner yesterday morning, the Canadian this afternoon, now the GFS this evening. High ratio potential as well. I really like the run earlier today where there was clearly an indication of what appeared to be a Norlun Trough going toward our area with a maximum of precip right over us. I have seen this many times before where the Norlun does not develop, but what actually happens is that this sort of depiction ends up being the actual location of low pressure near the coast. I can see this storm tucking right into the coast near us. We just need the shortwave to dig a a bit further south. Let's all cross our fingers. Huge potential next Tuesday, and Friday as well. The Euro control run this evening is a little more amped with the Tuesday storm for us than the operational run and it also shows a rather massive storm for us next Friday into Saturday. Loads of potential.

f156.gif

I'm real excited. But was told HM thoughts where not promising and the euro at 12z is not a ku pattern

Lol

f156.gif

The Euro is showing a clipper riding fairly far to the north with the transfer to the coast too far east for us. But if the Euro shifts a little

further south, we could see a 1-3...2-4 for some lucky spots. But these clipper transfers can leave us high and dry if the timing and

location is wrong. I would like to see what the models serve up once the lead wave a few days earlier moves through.

It's a little exciting but nothing to get too excited about just yet. First of all anything past Day 5 is very sketchy and we're still in a 11-12 winter hangover. The Dec 29 storm was also a huge disappointment and that changed within 2-3 days of the event but for the first time this winter, we actually have cold air masses to work with and that immediately should bring some optimism. 

The Euro is showing a clipper riding fairly far to the north with the transfer to the coast too far east for us. But if the Euro shifts a little

further south, we could see a 1-3...2-4 for some lucky spots. But these clipper transfers can leave us high and dry if the timing and

location is wrong. I would like to see what the models serve up once the lead wave a few days earlier moves through.

I think if the ridge out west is as amplified as the models are showing, we have to watch for earlier development off the coast and potential higher amounts with a strong low pressure forming offshore.

f132.gif

The PNA will be spiking Jan 20-27 to levels unseen in this winter dominated by -PNA thus far. Given the -EPO/-AO already in place, the arctic air source will be there, the mechanism for delivery will also be present, and thus we've got more checks on the bucket list than we've seen so far in winter 2012-13. The PV will also be displaced fairly far south in Canada due to the height rise over the Arctic/Greenland D 5-8, so at this time I believe the ECMWF is too far north with the short wave track. It's too early to talk specifics on snowfall numbers or track, but what I can say with a good deal of certainty is the synoptics are some of the most conducive we've seen since 2 winters ago. Whether or not that results in a snowstorm is yet to be determined.

compare.pn.png

Here are the individual ensemble runs at 6z on Tuesday from this morning at 6z, then 12z, then 18z. You can see as we get closer in time, albeit only 6 hours each run, but anyway, on the 6z run this morning the depiction is of a Norlun trough pulling in our direction, then at 12z you start to see it developing low pressure areas in that general area, now on this run they are getting really serious. I think this trend will continue until we see something possibly quite interesting right off the NJ coast. Of course I am kind of hoping and crossing my fingers also, but honestly I believe the potential is there. And yes, it is highly interesting that both the GFS and the Euro Control model show big potential late next week at nearly the same time. Good times ahead, starting tonight for many.

post-1914-0-68727200-1358296419_thumb.gi

post-1914-0-09998900-1358296426_thumb.gi

post-1914-0-40853800-1358296448_thumb.gi

With a shortwave digging that far south on the gfs we won't be getting a clipper.

The one after the Miller B, which is the one everyone should get into the fun has a heck of a Kocin look with the 500 mb trough going and digging on a positive/neutral tilt in KY, AL, GA then goes on a negative tilt from there on.... *assuming it would* very much like the Jan '96 blizzard evolution with that. Pure polar jet. ECMWF shows this very clearly.

Archived