Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS is pretty close to a moderate snowfall event for the immediate coast.

However, I'm not sure the GFS has the resolution to resolve such a sharp cutoff in this type of setup. I urge extreme caution, as the GFS might just be too gradual with its cutoff, and a sharper, less broad cutoff like the NAM might make more sense here. Definitely keeping my eye on this one, though. 

The GFS is pretty close to a moderate snowfall event for the immediate coast.

However, I'm not sure the GFS has the resolution to resolve such a sharp cutoff in this type of setup. I urge extreme caution, as the GFS might just be too gradual with its cutoff, and a sharper, less broad cutoff like the NAM might make more sense here. Definitely keeping my eye on this one, though. 

Yeah, NAM has ticked NW as well precip cutoff is extreme. AC roadtrip?

The 3z SREF took another jump North and West. Gets the 0.1" NW of the city.

Pretty remarkable differences from the 21z SREF.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/sref/03zsrefp24_NE057.gif

3z SREF total previous 24 hour accumulated precipitation above at hour 57.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/sref/21zsrefp24_NE063.gif

21z SREF total previous 24 hour accumulatated precipitation above at hour 63.

We need more interaction with the northern stream, or this threat is cooked north of southern NJ. You can see how the attempt at a low gets sheared right out as the northern stream won't allow amplification. It might be okay for those on the northern edge where it's cold enough for snow, but otherwise a "Next..." system for most of us.

We need more interaction with the northern stream, or this threat is cooked north of southern NJ. You can see how the attempt at a low gets sheared right out as the northern stream won't allow amplification. It might be okay for those on the northern edge where it's cold enough for snow, but otherwise a "Next..." system for most of us.

Agreed. There just isnt any more room really. Can the models really miss that this close? That would be a pretty epic bust.

Or for the PV to push just far enough north to allow for the closed H5 low to come just 50 miles NW of the NAM's position.

Or for the PV to push just far enough north to allow for the closed H5 low to come just 50 miles NW of the NAM's position.

There might be a slight possibility of something along those lines. But there's still a huge brick wall.

The height lines out ahead of the closed H5 low don't even coincide with the height pattern with the PV, at all. Any phasing opportunity is pretty much dead. So inching the PV north might be able to give the area some flakes. 

The GFS may tease us with its annoyingly broad cutoffs and show the .25" contour right along the South Shore of LI or something. I urge caution since that's a clear lack of resolution bias with the GFS. It did the same thing with 2/6/10. 

Edit: Meant to say 2/6/10, not 2/10/10. 

There might be a slight possibility of something along those lines. But there's still a huge brick wall.

The height lines out ahead of the closed H5 low don't even coincide with the height pattern with the PV, at all. Any phasing opportunity is pretty much dead. So inching the PV north might be able to give the area some flakes. 

The GFS may tease us with its annoyingly broad cutoffs and show the .25" contour right along the South Shore of LI or something. I urge caution since that's a clear lack of resolution bias with the GFS. It did the same thing with 2/10/10. 

I don't think there will be any real phasing either. It's basically a race between the deepening PV and the H5 low, to the East Coast.

Hello all i am new to the tread. I look foward to learning from everyone here and getting a beter understanding about the weather, and how to read model outputs. Which storm are we disscussing? As there is no date in the tread title. Also i noticed some of the guys talking about a storm potential for next weekend 23-24. How does that look as of now? i know the models this year show a nice storm ten days out to lose it. but was curious to know what they are show for the 23-24 and is the setup favorable for a storm? again thanks in advance and i look forward to learning from you all .

Chris

The GFS may tease us with its annoyingly broad cutoffs and show the .25" contour right along the South Shore of LI or something. I urge caution since that's a clear lack of resolution bias with the GFS. It did the same thing with 2/6/10.

Edit: Meant to say 2/6/10, not 2/10/10.

Yes. But it wouldn't take much to give LI and up to NYC a 1"-3" event.

Latest srefs did that.

Hello all i am new to the tread. I look foward to learning from everyone here and getting a beter understanding about the weather, and how to read model outputs. Which storm are we disscussing? As there is no date in the tread title. Also i noticed some of the guys talking about a storm potential for next weekend 23-24. How does that look as of now? i know the models this year show a nice storm ten days out to lose it. but was curious to know what they are show for the 23-24 and is the setup favorable for a storm? again thanks in advance and i look forward to learning from you all .

Chris

Welcome aboard! You will find great information here. I have been on weather boards since December 2000 and I can tell you that I have learned more on weather boards than I could taking Meteorology classes at top universities and I did take one at Rutgers back in the day. Here is a thread on the main board that may help inform you about the upcoming snow chances. Note HM's posts in the thread as he is very knowledgeable and gives this board an incredible resource when he comes out of hiding every now and then:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/38643-medium-range-long-range-thread/page-15#entry2003914

Here's a way to search threads where HM is an author of a post:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

There are many other folks here besides HM who also are very knowledgeable so browse around and read what all the great resources we have here have to say.

Just when I mention that no phasing is possibly (which I still don't really think is), the 12z GFS comes a bit closer to a phase than the 6z GFS if you look at 500mb. The base of the PV trough actually digs a bit further south and is a tad less broad and makes an attempt to phase with the slightly further north vortmax from the south. I still think we're out of time and the pattern remains quite hostile, but this might be a positive trend as far as a very minor event/seeing flakes is concerned. 

12z:

gfs_namer_042_500_vort_ht.gif

6z valid for the same time:

gfs_namer_048_500_vort_ht.gif

You might make the argument and say, "hey wait, if there are positive trends aloft, why is my QPF still about the same?"

But if you notice, because of what I said earlier, the storm actually is able to turn the corner a tad, and E SNE actually has a decent boost in QPF this run, and the precipitation is aligned in a bit more of a north to south fashion rather than a west to east fashion. If the storm can just have the room to turn the corner somewhat, then a minor event is not out of the question. 

12z:

gfs_namer_051_precip_p24.gif

6z valid for the same time:

gfs_namer_057_precip_p24.gif

Archived