amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The synoptics are actually very unfavorable for this to become an accumulating snow north of the M/D line. A Polar Vortex positioned on the eastern shore of Hudson Bay almost always means suppression and a NC/VA type hit. The PV generally needs to be over central or western Hudson's Bay for height rises along the east coast to occur, allowing a more nwd storm track. In this particular case I wouldn't be surprised if the GFS trended worse/south at 00z given the overpowering PV. It's unfortunate that now we've got the arctic air intruding and ruining our snow chance. However, I've always thought our better opportunities would come when the cold regime settled in (next week).

Yesterday was optimistic and today is depression so I'll just take it day by day. Who knows what the models will show a few days from now. 

I agree.

Sad to see Raleigh, NC will probably get more snow in less than 24 hours from Friday's storm than what we've got in our entire season so far (5.0" at KISP). :axe:

NYC never really gets winter when I was at Lyndon State College and the University of Wisconsin - Madison we got winter, and boy do I miss it.  The ground was white from December to March, that was in the mid 1970's to low 1980's.  Now when I go visit family and friends in Wisconsin during Xmas it is much warmer and it even rains a decent amount of time.  During the 1970's and early 1980's it hardly rained in Wisconsin in the winter.  So NYC winters are wimpy and I miss those sub zero days or heavy snow at -10F.

Even in the snowiest winters in NYC, the majority of storms bring rain.

Yeah, the average winter I think is a 2:1 ratio of rain to snow.

It is about 3:1 actually...75 % rain in average winter. 

Yeah, you're right... in fact I think its closer to 80% rain 20% snow... which is more like a 5:1 ratio.  I was using seasonal snowfall and comparing it to winter average precip, woops.

Some very rare exceptions...in the first three months of 2009 Upton measured 32.1 inches of snow on 4.80" liquid equivalent. ).

...and Upton measured 78.0 inches of snow December 2004 through March 2005 on just 9.85" liquid equivalent!

Some very rare exceptions...in the first three months of 2009 Upton measured 32.1 inches of snow on 4.80" liquid equivalent. ).

...and Upton measured 78.0 inches of snow December 2004 through March 2005 on just 9.85" liquid equivalent!

I notice my post always kills the thread...I must be in the wrong business or something.

I notice my post always kills the thread...I must be in the wrong business or something.

Everyone's busy playing tiddlywinks and reminiscing over old (or recent) photos of themselves making snow angels and fighting with little kids for dominance of the tallest sledding hill.

0z GFS isnt pretty.

It's not but given the rapid day to day changes, it really doesn't bother me. I think ultimately the SSW will help us out. The pattern has to set in first and then we could start seeing threats, also the blocking should come back gradually and many mets are favoring February as being a good month (though that's been said several times already for December and January so who knows). 

Archived