northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the euro shows can't happen. It shows energy cutting into confluence and vortex. Not possible. It will be forced to go underneath.

What the euro shows can't happen. It shows energy cutting into confluence and vortex. Not possible. It will be forced to go underneath.

Im with you , right up until you said CAN`T .... anythings possible , but you would think it should cut under .

Will probably take a few days to go to towards its ensembles .

Im with you , right up until you said CAN`T .... anythings possible , but you would think it should cut under .

Will probably take a few days to go to towards its ensembles .

You would probably need a less amplified solution than the OP is showing for the cold to linger

longer before eventually getting scoured out.

Even as the EURO storm cuts there looks to be at least a temp period of frozen precip whether that be snow/sleet/zr not sure....Plus we may see a gradual colder trend occur. 

With the -20C airmass beforehand, the Day 9 storm is basically guaranteed to start frozen everywhere in NYC metro. Suburbs would probably see a nice front-end dump before changing to rain. There's a beautiful west-based -NAO block on the 12z ECM after that, so you'd see another storm threat after the cutter if you extrapolate out. Airmass at Day 10 is also cold with -12C 850s in here.

As for tonight's storm, I don't see too many boundary layer problems. Central Park is at 42/25 and White Plains is at 39/24. With those low dewpoints and the sun going down in an hour, what falls should be snow. Completely disagree with Ray that there is a bunch of rain involved here. I bet Central Park starts as snow if they precipitate...JFK is more questionable but they should flip to snow really quick with due north winds. 

As for tonight's storm, I don't see too many boundary layer problems. Central Park is at 42/25 and White Plains is at 39/24. With those low dewpoints and the sun going down in an hour, what falls should be snow. Completely disagree with Ray that there is a bunch of rain involved here. I bet Central Park starts as snow if they precipitate...JFK is more questionable but they should flip to snow really quick with due north winds. 

Remember, I was going of the EC... which I doubt verifies.  Its colder than progged now, probably because reality is shifted southeast and the GFS/NAM are more likely to verify.

You would probably need a less amplified solution than the OP is showing for the cold to linger

attachicon.gifTemperature32at32850hPa_North32America_192.gif

attachicon.gifTemperature32at32850hPa_North32America_192.gif

Yeh it may be a case of the Euro bundling the energy too much . We saw it do it back in DEC do the same thing . Im not saying it cant happen , but I am leaning towards the cut under because I think the playing field is a little stronger today than it was a month ago . As it was in Dec it came underneath .

Yeh it may be a case of the Euro bundling the energy too much . We saw it do it back in DEC do the same thing . Im not saying it cant happen , but I am leaning towards the cut under because I think the playing field is a little stronger today than it was a month ago . As it was in Dec it came underneath .

The Euro has some blocking/ridging over Greenland which locks the PV into place and doesn't allow it to escape. The GFS doesn't have this so the PV is able to move out before the storm arrives. That's why blocking is so important. If we get that blocking there is no way that the storm itself is going to cut into the PV without being forced to redevelop.

We need a weaker wave like 2/22/08 to have a decent chance of at least a better front end thump.

A wrapped up solution may have a brief coastal mix before changing over to rain. The way the ensemble mean

breaks in the coming days will tell the tale.

Euro ensembles have the same qpf as the op. Game on :)

According to the EC, DCA should've had 0.02" by 1PM and another 0.14" between 1PM and 7PM.  So far they've had virga.  That should give us a good idea of just how reliable this run of the EC was with tonight's system.

Archived