• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

JMA was the model that nailed the last storm from yesterday, bringing it further north than any other model and it was correct. I can only assume it and the Euro are correct. I believe all of Northern NJ will get at least a dusting to an inch of snow tonight.

But you do realize there is no decent precip until you get SE of DC right?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, that came off a little more standoffish than it shoud've.  But basically the EC verification so far is very poor, far too far NW than reality.  The NW extent of its precip field should essentially be completely ignored.

No problem. Do they have accuracy ratings for the NAM somewhere? I personally think it is a horrible model and simply won't think about taking it's solution over the Euro and JMA.

I have one of these weather stations. Keep in mind that if it shows .01-.03 it can easily be twice that much. For some reason these rain gauges often read too low.

Not a good assumption.  They can be adjusted either manually or with a computer-applied adjustment. 

18z gfs is cold/dry then cutter after cutter. Hopefully that does not work out, but my hopes are starting to fade

I think the first cutter is going to be more of a SWFE. HM echoes this. We should start as snow and thump with a good airmass in place. I'm not believing the 980mb lows over Lake Erie at this point with a PV to the north.

Why has the Tuesday threat faded?

I wanna add one sobering thought about next wknd potential system. It was my contention that the system bellies under Spoke to a fav of mine at accu tonite. Promise you all like this guy. . He pointed out that If tues system bombs out so far east it could pull the vortex with it and will open the door for the system to cut So unless tues system can stay close we may not wanna see an ocean bomb for more than the obvious

I think the first cutter is going to be more of a SWFE. HM echoes this. We should start as snow and thump with a good airmass in place. I'm not believing the 980mb lows over Lake Erie at this point with a PV to the north.

Why has the Tuesday threat faded?

We've had numerous cutters before with a strong PV north of us. I don't see us having a shot at a significant event without a NAO block of some kind. This looks like a cold/dry to warm/cutter pattern that favors the Midwest. Doesn't really matter how cold it is beforehand either if we have a massive cutter surge warm air in. Inland and SNE can sometimes salvage a good amount of snow under the deeper cold air, but southerly winds are the kiss of death for NYC and the coast.

Details? How does tuesday/next friday look?

-skisheep

It has a snowstorm for NYC at hour 216. Surprisingly, it's not on it's own. The CMC also has a snowstorm during this timeframe as well at around the day 8 timeframe. The CMC also has a light snow event for next tuesday at hour 96 as well.

Hour 96 f96.gif

Hour 192 f192.gif

It has a snowstorm for NYC at hour 216. Surprisingly, it's not on it's own. The CMC also has a snowstorm during this timeframe as well at around the day 8 timeframe. The CMC also has a light snow event for next tuesday at hour 96 as well.

The event in that 180-216 range shown on alot of models the last 2-3 days needs to stay somewhat weak, if it does we've got a shot at a decent snow, even if it ends as freezing rain or rain because you can be sure that high will be slower to exit than the models currently show and we'd get solid overrunning snows but as usual if it wants to crank a 988mb low over Wisconsin we're in trouble.

The 0z ECM was a great run. It deepened the cold shot with 850s near -24C Wednesday night. The snowstorm at Day 9 looks legitimate with higher heights moving into Greenland, and it brings down another cold airmass with -16C@850mb. A +PNA looks to be developing at the end of the run, but it's hard to tell if the ridge would amplify out west or just collapse east. 

6z gfs has that low in a similar position to the 216 ECMWF, albeit a little earlier.  But nada for Tuesday..

The 0z ECM was a great run. It deepened the cold shot with 850s near -24C Wednesday night. The snowstorm at Day 9 looks legitimate with higher heights moving into Greenland, and it brings down another cold airmass with -16C@850mb. A +PNA looks to be developing at the end of the run, but it's hard to tell if the ridge would amplify out west or just collapse east. 

The Euro has been cutter loving in the medium to long range ever since its upgrade so unless you've got a markedly hostile cutter pattern Day 6 or beyond it will tend to like showing them...its usually a good sign if you start seeing it move away from the idea though eventually and it seems it may be doing that now on that storm.

Archived