• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

The Euro has been cutter loving in the medium to long range ever since its upgrade so unless you've got a markedly hostile cutter pattern Day 6 or beyond it will tend to like showing them...its usually a good sign if you start seeing it move away from the idea though eventually and it seems it may be doing that now on that storm.

The 6z GFS still has a bit of a cutter after it starts as snow here.

However, the 6z GFS trended colder with the arctic shot Tuesday-Thursday as well. It now has the -20C 850 contour south of NYC, whereas previous runs had it around Poughkeepsie. Wednesday looks to be the coldest day with 850s around -21C. Should give us highs in the teens to low 20s area-wide. 

6z GFS also shows a renewed EPO block in the long-range with very cold air once again moving into the eastern US. We might have to deal with one cutter before the Alaska block re-develops, but the models seem to favor a +PNA/-EPO look in the longer-range. Should have some interesting implications for early February, when climo most favors snow. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The event in that 180-216 range shown on alot of models the last 2-3 days needs to stay somewhat weak, if it does we've got a shot at a decent snow, even if it ends as freezing rain or rain because you can be sure that high will be slower to exit than the models currently show and we'd get solid overrunning snows but as usual if it wants to crank a 988mb low over Wisconsin we're in trouble.

That's what the CMC does (and what the GFS has been trending to). You can see on the image that I posted from the CMC, that it keeps the system relatively weak at around 1008 mb, looks very SWFE-ish on the CMC, with a decent amount of precipitation. The ECM turns this into more of a Miller B system off of the Jersey coast.

As I posted in the other thread, I think NYC's major snowstorm waits until the beginning of February. We might see a coating to an inch Tuesday, and then a potential moderate snowstorm with a SWFE/late-blooming coastal, but I'm not seeing a KU monster until February. With the MJO going into Phase 8 as the Kelvin Wave crosses the tropical Pacific, signals are strong for a very powerful PNA spike and falling NAO in early February:

post-475-0-30124600-1358521069_thumb.gif

There could be a short moderation after the January 21-25 arctic outbreak, but a snowy/cold pattern will emerge in February. 

The system that is shown as a miss now Day 4-5 really needs to be watched for inverted trof development somewhere from here through SNE...the setup is pretty good at 850 and 700 with very light winds and the 500mb setup is good as well.  These don't occur often as we know but this time the upper level setup is there.

The system that is shown as a miss now Day 4-5 really needs to be watched for inverted trof development somewhere from here through SNE...the setup is pretty good at 850 and 700 with very light winds and the 500mb setup is good as well.  These don't occur often as we know but this time the upper level setup is there.

Could see some local enhancement  of snow squalls with the vort channel moving back across the Great Lakes.

It would probably be something more mesoscale that could make people in the exact locations happy, while others

relatively close get nothing.

I'm just under 30F, if we can be this cold now, imagine how much colder it could be early next week with a much stronger arctic wave. I think highs in the upper teens are definitely not out of the question.

not sure how much stronger it will be, 850s are -17 over NYC right now with a north wind which is great for NYC cold. Next week looks more NW flow. I could see a high a few degrees colder in the mid 20s for next week. Anything cold than that will be hard unless its cloudy outside or snowing. Then a 20 or so high could be possible.

not sure how much stronger it will be, 850s are -17 over NYC right now with a north wind which is great for NYC cold. Next week looks more NW flow. I could see a high a few degrees colder in the mid 20s for next week. Anything cold than that will be hard unless its cloudy outside or snowing. Then a 20 or so high could be possible.

so..most of next week will have highs in the 20's and lows in the teens..there is no debate about that

Beware , next weekend in the Northeast , Yesterdays 12z GFS took the low thru Madison Wisc into southern Canada . lotta of us here discussed yesterday it would prob belly under . Todays 12Z take it takes it from Southern ILL to off the coast of Cape Cod .

Once it absords the low level cold air throughout the northeast in the model early next week , I think you will see it come even further south like the 0z Euro .

As it is , very different look from yesterdays 12z .

Mon - Thrs next will average 10 -15 below average . You guys do realize thats a cold air mass when you consider theres no Snow on the ground .

If anyone doesnt think thats cold , go find the last time NYC was 10 -15 below for 4 days . Its not as common as you would think .

Bet its close to 1 in every 3 yrs , if you go back

Archived