Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its the event coming after that between 90 and 102 that holds more promise. That event had some nice QPF on the GFS. Euro looks slightly wetter and further north as of 84

It did come north, and gives CNJ-S NJ some light snow. Not a bad trend. Like I said, I expect the final outcome to be somewhere between a completely suppressed solution and the CMC solution from yesterday,

The 12z ECM has two very impressive cold shots. The first cold shot at Day 6 has 850s of -16C to -18C in the area. Places with snow cover in the northwest suburbs would not make it much past 20F for highs with lows in the single digits. Here is the frame:

The second cold shot is when the PV comes south, and it brings the coldest airmass our area has seen in years....definitely the coldest since January 2004 and maybe since January 1994. I wouldn't be surprised if the City finally hits 0F sometime around this frame:

\

As others have pointed out, the eastern US is due for a major arctic outbreak. With the renewed blocking since Winter 08-09, many places in the mid-latitudes have seen periods of record cold: NNE in Jan 2009, Western Europe and the Southeast U.S in December 2010, Eastern Europe and Northern Africa in February 2012, and China/Russia in December 2012. I think it is finally our turn for some serious cold with the MJO moving towards Phase 7 and the stratospheric warming causing a -EPO/-NAO/-AO look in the hemisphere. I wouldn't be surprised if another shot of severe cold arrives at Day 15, as the models seem to have a shot of -25C air brewing in the Canadian Prairies on the east side of a -EPO ridge axis after the PV descends and provides the second, most extreme shot. 

To summarize, I expect very cold air around January 18th, an arctic outbreak around January 23rd, and a renewed shot of arctic air around January 27th. Could be a very exciting 3-4 weeks around here...

The ECMWF has a very very strong cold shot after hour 192. Thicknesses get below 504 in the city, and close to 498. Very very cold

Archived