• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

Looks like mainly rain I would think for NYC and south....even for much of NJ. Elevation should play a big part here....but I like where we're sitting. Just yesterday we were in the colder part of this with pretty much no precip. So a stronger system and slight shift south will mean a couple inches of snow for us. Right now I'll actually go with a call of a half inch sloppy mess for the area with a few inches NW

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very suppressed looking cold pattern on the Euro. Maybe we can get lucky with a clipper

or two.

It's not that bad at all, actually. Gives us light snow from a Miller B at 190hrs or so which is close to developing into a huge storm if it does so any sooner, and then looks poised to give us another snowstorm post 200 hrs.

The PV is rotating and shifting around in Southeast Canada so there are plenty of nuances involved and the pattern definitely wouldn't be boring or totally suppressed/dry.

It's not that bad at all, actually. Gives us light snow from a Miller B at 190hrs or so which is close to developing into a huge storm if it does so any sooner, and then looks poised to give us another snowstorm post 200 hrs.

The PV is rotating and shifting around in Southeast Canada so there are plenty of nuances involved and the pattern definitely wouldn't be boring or totally suppressed/dry.

The mean 500 mb look might get a little more interesting January 24-31 as the PV lifts out and energy cuts underneath.

Post 6-10 day looks like it may be the best shot at putting something together this season so far. The ridge building

north of Alaska should keep the pattern interesting into early February, but hopefully it extends beyond the first

week before the pattern reverses.

Very suppressed looking cold pattern on the Euro. Maybe we can get lucky with a clipper

or two.

Has anyone actually looked at the EURO? That was by far the best run in a while. The only warmth so to speak is a brief moderation this weekend. Before and after that is either cold or very cold. And how about the huge ridge out west, active northern stream, beautiful trough, nice 50/50, and cold air on our side (pv). Not to mention the euro even has retrograding western based neg nao. Let's not forget it is very close to producing a snowstorm around Jan 22 (a bit late with the phase so we get light precip, further north gets hammered) and if you extrapolate the later portion of the run it would probably hit us with a real nice snowstorm around Jan 25-27. Several threats here and a much more wintry pattern, and we are discussing the possibility of hitting 45 maybe a day this weekend. Step it up people.

Has anyone actually looked at the EURO? That was by far the best run in a while. The only warmth so to speak is a brief moderation this weekend. Before and after that is either cold or very cold. And how about the huge ridge out west, active northern stream, beautiful trough, nice 50/50, and cold air on our side (pv). Not to mention the euro even has retrograding western based neg nao. Let's not forget it is very close to producing a snowstorm around Jan 22 (a bit late with the phase so we get light precip, further north gets hammered) and if you extrapolate the later portion of the run it would probably hit us with a real nice snowstorm around Jan 25-27. Several threats here and a much more wintry pattern, and we are discussing the possibility of hitting 45 maybe a day this weekend. Step it up people.

Dude..relax..we are discussing the 6-10 day which will be dominated by cold and mostly dry and maybe a clipper.

If you bothered to read my reply to Earthlight, the interesting period may be Day 11-15 and beyond.

The mean 500 mb look might get a little more interesting January 24-31 as the PV lifts out and energy cuts underneath.

Post 6-10 day looks like it may be the best shot at putting something together this season so far. The ridge building

north of Alaska should keep the pattern interesting into early February, but hopefully it extends beyond the first

week before the pattern reverses.

attachicon.gif00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNA240.gif

Yeah, agreed. I think we can sneak some light snow events in the meantime as the cold air begins to infiltrate into the area. Seeing the dominant PV on our side of the globe is really encouraging and I think the ridge north of Alaska adds some confidence to the increasing potential as we move forward into late January.

Yeah, agreed. I think we can sneak some light snow events in the meantime as the cold air begins to infiltrate into the area. Seeing the dominant PV on our side of the globe is really encouraging and I think the ridge north of Alaska adds some confidence to the increasing potential as we move forward into late January.

Yeah, the duration of the ridge north of Alaska will be the key. That is typically a cold and potentially snowy teleconnection

for us this time of year. The models have really been hitting that feature hard the last few runs and must be why the euro

weeklies and CFS moved colder. Obviously we are milder this go around, but that ridge was a strong feature in 

January 2004, 1994, and 1982.

So we might actually be below normal for once? It's been so warm that I heard some people actually complaining about the "cold" when it was probably like 45F yesterday and temperatures in the 30s for most is considered frigid. 

I swear it must be like living in Virginia. 

It has been one of the warmest winters of my lifetime..after last winter I would think that was impossible

Archived