• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

The fact that it got warmer, and still on the colder side of the envelop has me hesitant to use it. It's very boarder line for you guys. I'm 100% sure I will be rain. Guys just north of me really have no room for error

I think we will have a middle ground solution. The 18z NAM is probably too cold, and the 18z GFS is probably too warm.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do believe I said "maybe 2".

Gotcha. I agree that based on NAM soundings and skew-ts, NYC is 2"-3", which is in line with the Euro and a bit less then the rgem.

Just want to make it clear that snow88's map is not the total snow map. It's only snow from hours 36-48.

This looks like another north and west of I-287 special, few inches there most likely. NAM is likely too cold when other models are warmer. GFS might be too warm, but this looks like yet another marginal event that gives most a cold, mid 30s rain. There's not a great cold air source north of us to force the cold air in, and it just looks like a crummy, non-dynamic event overall.

NYC probably doesnt accumulate with type of set up . Our fun begins after this , anything this would have yielded in the city would hav been a bonus .

This does not diminish whats waiting in the wings . The weeklies and CFS v2 match up really well , pos pna - neg epo - neg nao and finally like i have been saying the mjo is progged to  head into phase 8 .

Patience, the pattern is evolving into a favorable one , once past Wed.

It'll be all rain for most of us, you'll have to go far N&W to see accumulations. We do not do well with poor and marginal airmasses. It's far more likely we see some snow when it finally gets colder, even if the overall pattern is a dry one. There will always be opportunities for a clipper or minor events when we have a cold airmass in place, but very unlikely in a marginal airmass. 

Precip type on the Nam

Hour 36

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam/00znamptype036.gif

Hour 42

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam/00znamptype042.gif

It looks mostly snow for the area.

Probably not correct and even if it was, I don't think we'd get much if any accumulation. One can see on the fous data that when one level of the atmosphere is cold enough, another is too warm. Starts out with upper levels too warm, ends up with surface and lower levels too warm. Even if some sleet and a few wet flakes fly with temps in the low-mid 30s at best, it should amount to little or nothing.

WX/PT

Archived