Newest Member
    CHSVol
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. Euro is colder then the gfs.

850 line stays near Sandy Hook the entire time. When precip is over at hour 66, the 850 line is on top of NYC.

.25"-.50" of total precip.

Not as cold as the ggem or nam but nowhere near as warm as the gfs or the ukie.

A nice run for NYC.

I don't think anyone will buy into a snow scenario for this event with it as marginal as it is now...especially after the recent bust and this is actually a somewhat similar setup as far as the temp profiles.

Anyone being defined as those unable to read a skew T diagram or a weather map?

I don't think anyone will buy into a snow scenario for this event with it as marginal as it is now...especially after the recent bust and this is actually a somewhat similar setup as far as the temp profiles.

euro

nam

ggem     vs.   GFS

ukie

rgem

Euro Control run this morning bombs the storm out next Tuesday into a major Nor'easter, developing it near the Virginia Capes as a 996mb at 198 hrs, then taking to to just off Asbury Park as a 982mb low at 204 hrs, then to Cape Cod as a 974mb low. 850's are amazingly cold, right off the coast and south of Long Island so everyone is snow. It shows around a foot of snow for everyone with nice wrap-around. It is a thing of beauty.  At the height of the storm it has the 850 temps at -10 to -20 just to the west of NYC and almost into NYC and surface temps in the single digits.  So, verbatim, this would most likely be a high ratio snow too, so the amount I gave was probably too low.  Of course, who knows if this will happen, but Tip in the New England forum has been talking about the possibility of a KU on this day for quite some time now, and verbatim, this model shows probably 1-2 feet for NYC and vicinity.  And, yes I know it is just one model, but this model did nail the October 29, 2011 snowstorm very well in our area, even better than the operational run, so who knows?

Euro Control run this morning bombs the storm out next Tuesday into a major Nor'easter, developing it near the Virginia Capes as a 996mb at 198 hrs, then taking to to just off Asbury Park as a 982mb low at 204 hrs, then to Cape Cod as a 974mb low. 850's are amazingly cold, right off the coast and south of Long Island so everyone is snow. It shows around a foot of snow for everyone with nice wrap-around. It is a thing of beauty.  At the height of the storm it has the 850 temps at -10 to -20 just to the west of NYC and almost into NYC and surface temps in the single digits.  So, verbatim, this would most likely be a high ratio snow too, so the amount I gave was probably too low.  Of course, who knows if this will happen, but Tip in the New England forum has been talking about the possibility of a KU on this day for quite some time now, and verbatim, this model shows probably 1-2 feet for NYC and vicinity.  And, yes I know it is just one model, but this model did nail the October 29, 2011 snowstorm very well in our area, even better than the operational run, so who knows?

The operational ECM also has this storm around this timeframe, it's just significantly weaker.

That's a nice storm on the EPS run by the way.

Looks to me like another North and West storm. Airmass is cruddy to say the least, and a fairly weak overrunning wave won't be enough to supply dynamic cooling at all. Yawn. Next...

I don't think this would be a snow event N and W right now either but more likely sleet or freezing rain, this could be a severe ice storm for someone and this includes coastal areas, the low level temps I think will be cold enough, its the mid levels that are more likely to be a problem.  This is one sort of setup where the coast can get a decent ice storm.  We had an event like this in 1/96 where the coast saw a good 5-6 hours of FZRA before eventually going to snow and picking up a couple of inches, it was similar with an arctic airmass bleeding in from the NW slowly.

Looks to me like another North and West storm. Airmass is cruddy to say the least, and a fairly weak overrunning wave won't be enough to supply dynamic cooling at all. Yawn. Next...

yup just rain here.

your area does poorly in marginal events.  in fact i'd say it's the worst location in the ny/nj/ct region for snow

I don't think this would be a snow event N and W right now either but more likely sleet or freezing rain, this could be a severe ice storm for someone and this includes coastal areas, the low level temps I think will be cold enough, its the mid levels that are more likely to be a problem.  This is one sort of setup where the coast can get a decent ice storm.  We had an event like this in 1/96 where the coast saw a good 5-6 hours of FZRA before eventually going to snow and picking up a couple of inches, it was similar with an arctic airmass bleeding in from the NW slowly.

not seeing that at all, we dont have an arctic high to the north, we have a stalled weak cold front. 35 and snow in the air looks much more likely than any ice.

Last time there was a primary low that maintained it energy as it went well west of us allowing for waa, which is why many areas rained. Models did pick up on this warm layer aloft and showed mainly rain for NYC s and e but many ignored it. Soundings off the 12z nam and 0z euro support mainly snow for NYC, but I would worry about surface temps preventing much accumulation, but timing of the event might help. I still think NYC needs some help, but this looks like a classic SWFE where N and W of the city get a few inches of accumulation before everything shuts off. Good thing is we have a weak wave passing to the south of us, last time the primary to our west killed us with strong waa. Also we have a nice polar vortex to the north and very cold air that can bleed in if you will. It smells like one of those setups where NYC is the battle ground. I really do believe N and W can salvage a few inches from this event.   

Archived