northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EC was just overall (and I mean starting within 6-hours of its run) way too far NW with its precip, all you have to do is compare what's happening now to it to see that.  So it can't be trusted, toss it. 

18Z GFS isn't as bad but still a bit too far NW right out of the gate.

Could you see a few flurries in NYC?  Sure.

JMA also nailed the last storm, bringing it further north than any other model........ It was correct. Look what it is doing again. Looks like 1-3 inches for all of Northern NJ tonight. Where is that Nor'easter guy. I hereby eat my crow. I did not think it would come further north, but it did again. As Nor'easter said, the models have been under doing the Southeast ridge all winter.

post-1914-0-25443500-1358459527_thumb.gi

JMA also nailed the last storm, bringing it further north than any other model........ It was correct. Look what it is doing again. Looks like 1-3 inches for all of Northern NJ tonight.

It is my meteorological opinion that that image of the JMA has a 0% chance of verifying.

Ok, I will read. Just got home from work.

Sorry, that came off a little more standoffish than it shoud've.  But basically the EC verification so far is very poor, far too far NW than reality.  The NW extent of its precip field should essentially be completely ignored.

lolwut?

JMA was the model that nailed the last storm from yesterday, bringing it further north than any other model and it was correct. I can only assume it and the Euro are correct. I believe all of Northern NJ will get at least a dusting to an inch of snow tonight. The UKMET also brought us at least a dusting to an inch tonight. I still remember that storm back in 2000 that gave NC 2 feet of snow I believe, where it was forecast to do the same and go out to sea before affecting us. Went to sleep with nothing in the forecast. Woke up with 6 inches on the ground. Oops. Models love to send these out to sea and they very often go further north and west. I will not go against the Euro and the JMA considering that the JMA was the most correct with the storm yesterday already. It is nailing this pattern, and the Euro has the best stats, and the UKMET is number 2.

post-1914-0-93326800-1358462072_thumb.gi

Archived