• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible Snow Threats and Upcoming Cold Spell

Snow_Miser

With a shortwave digging that far south on the gfs we won't be getting a clipper.

It's unlikely that the GFS solution will verify given the upper pattern. But the Euro and ensembles 

could shift a little further south, but not like the GFS is showing. Still someone could get a 1-3

or 2-4 if the Euro comes on board.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the very least the pattern set up is goin to where we thought it would go . So these chances are goin to pop up from model run to model run .

Can`t say for sure which solution I would buy right now , but when you have all this ammo its more than likely the atmosphere  produces

" something " .

It's unlikely that the GFS solution will verify given the upper pattern. But the Euro and ensembles

could shift a little further south, but not like the GFS is showing. Still someone could get a 1-3

Not sure if I agree here just yet

Assuming the Euro is correct in its H5 depiction for the event. It's quite possible that the synoptic evolution as progged is not entirely accurate given we're beyond 5 days from this potential. Euro ensembles are superior in skill to the GFS but their highest scores are in the medium range. If the Euro/ensembles maintain the northern idea over the next couple days then it will become more believable to me. As it stands, the GFS solution is certainly on the table as a conceivable option.

Assuming the Euro is correct in its H5 depiction for the event. It's quite possible that the synoptic evolution as progged is not entirely accurate given we're beyond 5 days from this potential. Euro ensembles are superior in skill to the GFS but their highest scores are in the medium range. If the Euro/ensembles maintain the northern idea over the next couple days then it will become more believable to me. As it stands, the GFS solution is certainly on the table as a conceivable option.

Very well put. I love the detail you put into this stuff. I agree completely. The Euro Control run had something big yesterday, the Canadian this afternoon, now the GFS. The potential is definitely there. At day 8 right now the GFS actually has a slight advantage right now and at day 10 the GFS has an even larger advantage. The higher resolution only really helps when you get down closer to 6 days, as you said.

post-1914-0-57412700-1358298448_thumb.pn

post-1914-0-13527600-1358298454_thumb.pn

By the way, the JMA also has a similar track to the Canadian and the GFS with the low next Tuesday, taking it to the Delmarva, but does not bomb it out. It still manages to produce a high ratio .20-.25 for us though. I only have access to the pay images after 144 hrs, but here is the 144 hr image from a free site. You can at least extrapolate from there.

post-1914-0-29182000-1358299379_thumb.gi

The NAM at 54 hours though is alot more believable than the NAM at 84...I'll tend to give it some say when its different than the other models at that range vs. 84 though not much.

Outside the 29th storm, it's performance this winter had left alot to be desired. I for one hope it scores a coop. But I'm not dancing with her

A little more phasing with the northern branch and the Thursday storm would make it up to NYC.  It will take a couple of more runs to see if this is a possibility.

This is as nasty a northward trend  with every storm we've seen since probably the 03-04 or 04-05 winter, everything seems to come more north and west inside 3 days.  We probably need to see the storm over North Carolina at day 5 to have a chance.

A little more phasing with the northern branch and the Thursday storm would make it up to NYC.  It will take a couple of more runs to see if this is a possibility.

it has been a NW trend winter so far.

just not sure how much the deep south ULL can phase, as the northern branch doesnt really have any pieces breaking off to accomplish this. but the fact the ULL in the deep south doesnt shear out as it heads E, as guidance had it doing the previous couple days, might bode well for future runs.

Archived