• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Jan 20-24 storm window opens (Jan 22 potential)

Typhoon Tip

I think the March 1992 event had TSSN in E MA. But yeah, you like to see soem CAPE and also like to see the lift deeper than in a norlun event...the lift can be intense, but its often relatively shallow in these setups. Though the NAM looks a bit more impressive in this one....it does have a bit of a MAUL on the ORH counding around 69-71 hours.

It had deep lift over the Cape for sure.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure gfs is incorrect in depositing not a speck of qpf for like 4000 miles at 57 hours.

jerry - not sure if you are using SV anymore...but just in case...don't forget they changed the legend (annoyingly) to .05 as the first interval that shows up. i think they did that to counter the GFS showing precip too expansively. 

jerry - not sure if you are using SV anymore...but just in case...don't forget they changed the legend (annoyingly) to .05 as the first interval that shows up. i think they did that to counter the GFS showing precip too expansively. 

Lol...that's what I'm doing. I should read the announcements.

Yeah you can get TSSN from LES but it's pretty rare and you need some pretty extreme instability in the boundary layer. 

usually you want to be absolutely unstable through at least 700mb.

You also generally want a lot of omega through the -8 to -10c isotherm to get graupel, water, and snowflakes colliding with each other.

Mid-winter LES events tend to not have much lightning due to the second point.  Feb 2007 had some...even with -25c 850s...but the 500s were -47c and the LICAPE was about 2000j/kg...which overwhelmed the lack of graupel in the cloud.

GFS meh for my area but nice for eastern areas. Still time for it to spread the love around though although would not be suprised for this to be close to the solution. Then again we have 3 days and we all know what can happen in 3 days...

Also does anyone know if the data from the flights has been added into the model yet?

-skisheep

Archived