• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 20-24 storm window opens (Jan 22 potential)

Typhoon Tip

This stuff is mega fluff. No wind.Stacking up nicely..Flake size has increased I'd say it's light/borderline moderate

The cool thing with absolute fluff is you can get like 1"/hr snows out of 1-2sm -SN like in an upslope or lake effect event... like the stuff J.Spin measures 3" and the snow core is only 0.05" and you can see the ground through it. 

With that type of snow, if you actually get down to 1/2sm moderate snow, you'll be a solid 1-2"/hr... and that's when +SN goes 2-3"/hr lol.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You aren't getting more than 2 or 3 inches tonight, why are you so hyped up about this non-event?

No one is allowed to be hyped up about an event where their backyard doesn't jackpot?  I'm pretty excited to watch this unfold because these "unknown" events are always the most fun meteorologically.  Its essentially a nowcast in SNE.

God forbid people are excited about weather on a weather board.

Major fluff factor inland. Just got a report of 0.5" in Lenox. Temperatures in the upper teens and lower 20's across interior Massachusetts!

Not directed at you Quincy... but can we just clear this up early in the storm, surface temps have no impact on this whatsoever in terms of "fluffy" as long as its not near 32F.  But if the fluff factor is going to be high... it won't matter if its 27F or 12F out. 

I saw relatively crappy snow growth last night (too cold aloft) at a surface temp of 10F.  Of course the snow was really dry, but fluff factor is something different than just dry powder.  Its all about lift in that -12C to -18C layer.

Archived