joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2013 OBS

metalicwx366

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

57 this morning as I threw caution to the wind and let the teen be behind the wheel this morning for the ride to school. (yes, there is a huge footprint in my dash from my quick thinking, fake brake.) My daffodils are poking up, my vinca minor is starting to bloom and I am very concerned. Last years warmth sustained and once things started budding, I had no deep freeze kill offs, but this warm spell could mean trouble for my perennials, blueberries and such.

Pollen galore. It was 19º this day last year in a "sucky" winter. Don't know the right adjective for this one - never seen hardwoods bud out this early - like 6 weeks early ...    :~(

We must've had an interesting weather map on that day.  Your post spurred me to check my temps in Weatherlink from my Vantage Vue on January 10 to see too what temps I had experienced on this date last year.  It seemed pretty boring here:  High temp of 55.9 F and low temp of 42.2 F.  I'm trying to figure out how you had 19 F in Florida while the lowest I could manage was 42 F!  (I did make it down to 14.3 F on 1/4/12 and 19.8 F on 1/14/12, though.)

Today was definitely atypical:  I ended up with a high temp of 65.9 for January 10, and it will probably be warmer this weekend!

We must've had an interesting weather map on that day.  Your post spurred me to check my temps in Weatherlink from my Vantage Vue on January 10 to see too what temps I had experienced on this date last year.  It seemed pretty boring here:  High temp of 55.9 F and low temp of 42.2 F.  I'm trying to figure out how you had 19 F in Florida while the lowest I could manage was 42 F!  (I did make it down to 14.3 F on 1/4/12 and 19.8 F on 1/14/12, though.)

Today was definitely atypical:  I ended up with a high temp of 65.9 for January 10, and it will probably be warmer this weekend!

That really doesn't make sense - in more recent obs...

I have nothing budding.  Nothing growing (except winter wild garlic and onions).  Nothing buzzing.  Today obviously being an exception, I keep wondering where all of this "spring" weather has been and why it seems so picky as to where it goes.

Gravity wave moving through Birimingham tonight. Gusts in the 50-60 mph range.

James Spann has been posting about power outages due the gravity wave and has a video of the strip at UA on FB.

Not too exciting but the wind starts howling and the power flickers off at 15 seconds. Wind gusts in Tuscaloosa reported at 74 mph.

CAD has setup here in central NC. Low 40s and light rain, RAH discussion stated the temps would be the biggest chalenge today. Upper temp levels are warm down to near 1000 feet. So, if we get too less of rain the CAD will not be as strong and if we get too much rain the rain will pull down the warmth. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

The birds must have came out of hibernation because they are very active or visible today. Should still be a warm Sat./Sun. Wet ground may offset some of the expected record high temps in some places tho, IMO.

I have noticed the birds to be quite active today. I'm stuck in the wedge today with some light easterly winds. It should erode off later for a nice warm up here through the weekend.

The birds must have came out of hibernation because they are very active or visible today. Should still be a warm Sat./Sun. Wet ground may offset some of the expected record high temps in some places tho, IMO.

Link to hibernating birds?

Obs need to be accurate.

Archived