amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short on time today but want to thank you guys for the great discussion and glad to be a part of it. 

I thought I would add my thoughts for today, I don't expect these cold solutions to be consistent I think we will still see lots of inconsistency until the events....Here is a recap of Dec. 20 from 20 days ago with mention of shortwave for eastern US Jan 10-11, on Jan 5 I amend the 10-13th to be another warm up (instead of cold air) based on a more powerful GWO signal. Obviously every saw a peak in temps on Jan 9 and expecting another peak on sun 13th. With colder air arriving after that.  Everything still jives for the rest of the thoughts through the beginning of Feb. especially in regards to 850 Temp forecasts. Again I think we will see the GFS/Euro hold back the coldest air until after the 24th. Even though it's on the edge right now bringing it in on the 23rd.

post-3697-0-46319400-1357935251_thumb.jp

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

I extended my outlook through Jan 8 on Dec. 14. I still feel comfortable with those dates and with the newest GWO analogs and latest 10 and 30 mb temp forecast it appears the time frame between Jan 7-10 will see a warm up over the east with a short wave moving through the east Jan 10-11 with cooler air dropping in behind it for Jan 10-13 across the MW/GLKS and then pockets of cooler air arriving Jan 15-19 time frame for the east followed by a second reinforcement of cooler air Jan 20-24. My GWO analogs only take me out to Jan 9 so there may be another short wave or two to add to the 2 already expected for the Jan 9-24 time frame. I will update as the newest GWO numbers come out over the next week and half.

Posted  5 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

I think the GFS is being a little too bullish on the cold air and too fast. Based on GWO and strat. analogs I'm guessing the coldest core of the 850 temps behind the short waves for the Jan 12-19 time frame will remain warmer than -15C then be reinforced with a coldest core of -15 to -25C for Jan 21-25 with a core of cold in the -25 to -30C range possibly as cold as -36C at some point for Jan 25-30. With -33C sneaking over the northern plains or GLKS or NE. Of course the cores of the coldest air will probably remain north of the border but still one can extrapolate what kind of 850 temps would be making down to the central US with those types of 850 temps just north of border.  

Again since I'm short on time today here are my thoughts from last night that still hold water today for myself at least.  

Posted Yesterday, 06:29 PM

Well the 12z Euro has -36C in Maine for 1/19 12z and 12z GFS has -36C in northern MN at 12z for 1/20. And those types of temps have been showing up from time to time on the runs. That's obviously not the 24-27 time frame but gives credence that the models believe it's physically possible to achieve those type of temps in the next couple weeks. Plus as I recall the GFS was indicating these types of 850 temps arriving for Jan 15-16 back a week ago which now has been pushed back to the 19th. I mentioned previously that I thought that the models last week were rushing the coldest air in too soon. I still think that and think we will see this coldest air delayed again by the models for another 4-5 days til the at least the 24th 

post-3697-0-35729900-1357935686_thumb.jp

GFS and euro are at odds with how deep the cold air can push into the us and the placement and strength of the ridge out west. I suppose somewhere in between is always what is recommended. Euro too amped and gfs notsomuch right? 

Either way, it looks like enough energy either punches into canada from the pac or dives down  from way up north. Not feeling the southern stream though. Looks like one of those patterns where precip chances (if any) don't really show up with any consistency till 5 days out. At least we won't be bored coming up. Probably cold, maybe dry, but not bored. 

No it's not the ensembles mitch, they have light precip wandering around, but the control run specifically states its not the ENS.

It's the control run based off the 51 member ensemble suite. It states that it's not the mean. But it's definitely derived from the euro ensembles.

GFS and CMC also have control runs of the ensembles. Meteorcentre has it.

No it's not the ensembles mitch, they have light precip wandering around, but the control run specifically states its not the ENS. 

Accuwx site says :ECMWF

Ensemble Prediction  System (EPS) Control

EDIT: yeah, another thing on the page in fine print says: Control run of the 51 member ECMWF Ensemble Predition System. This is not an ensemble mean.

so wtf is it? never heard of that before

Accuwx site says :ECMWF

Ensemble Prediction System (EPS) Control

EDIT: yeah, another thing on the page in fine print says: Control run of the 51 member ECMWF Ensemble Predition System. This is not an ensemble mean.

so wtf is it? never heard of that before

You just posted that it's derived from the ensembles. But not the mean.

a control run is :

The member of the ensemble obtained from the best initial analysis (The control is usually what is perturbed to produce the remaining members in the ensemble).

Every ensemble product has a control run. The one on accuweather is from the euro ensembles.

Meteocentre.com has the control runs from the gfs, cmc, srefs and rgem ensembles.

Quoted from a PDF found at http://mathsci.ucd.ie/met/msc/Met-Labs/ECMWF-EPS.pdf :

"The ECMWF EPS represents uncertainty in the initial conditions by creating a set of 50 forecasts starting from slightly different states that are close, but not identical, to
our best estimate of the initial state of the atmosphere (the control)."

"The divergence, or spread, of the control plus 50 forecasts gives an estimate of the uncertainty of the prediction on that particular day."

Makes it sound like the operational run. Aren't the ensembles run from slightly perturbed initial conditions that are determined from the operational run? So what is the difference between the operational and the control?

The control run is just a worse version of the OP pretty much...the ensemble mean performs better than the OP at that time range..so the control run is worse than both.

The nws states that the control run is the best individual member of the entire suite based on initialization verification and re-run at a lower resolution then the operational.

Nothing really jumps at me on any of the models. Yes we have some cold days coming up but no snow at the moment and the pattern doesn't look really favorable at all for a big snowstorms. Hope everyone enjoys the warm weather this weekend.

Nothing really jumps at me on any of the models. Yes we have some cold days coming up but no snow at the moment and the pattern doesn't look really favorable at all for a big snowstorms. Hope everyone enjoys the warm weather this weekend.

What about Tuesday? Waves rolling up the front; vorts to our south. Game on.

Archived