Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not necessary if we can get a hair more suppression

Well considering what would happen in a nina year since this one at times has acted like it, one would bet against the trend. However, the NAM is something to consider, and this brings the snow possibilities even with the earlier precip. This storm has trended southward a bit from the last time you asked for suppression, so I'd give it a chance. Looks at this point like HGR is the bullseye again, but the cities could get some snow. 

I'm not even sure how the snow map is showing snow except for the far n&w edge of the precip. Thicknesses. 850's and surface all say rain even in hgr. If I'm missing something let me know but I don't think it's even close.

Allow me bob, the surface temps at HGR on the NAM this run are a bit colder than pvs runs but still 33-35. We know we can see snow with that, and the 0c line is SE of there so Ji will tell you thats the only thing that matters in January. The 1300 line (1000-500) is also around BWI so there is a chance. I mean in the cities its a pipe dream, but makes sense to me. Light NW winds don't hurt either. 

Bob, fwiw, the Accuwx NAM snowfall maps show the same thing

I took a very close look and I guess it's mathematically possible but this setup is pretty far from ideal.

Heck, I've probably had over 10 feet of modeled snow in the last 23 months but my shovel hasn't left the garage. Now THAT is magic.

I took a very close look and I guess it's mathematically possible but this setup is pretty far from ideal.

Heck, I've probably had over 10 feet of modeled snow in the last 23 months but my shovel hasn't left the garage. Now THAT is magic.

lol   we never have ideal setups for snow

it's always pure luck for us

Better than 18z, gets some precip up to us with 0c line s of cities, sfc a bit warm but hey improvements. Definitely a bit better precip placement, orientation of it a bit different than the nam. Nam sniffing something? Who knows. 

there have been enough changes to at least give us something to follow

there should be another wave forming after the one at 85-95 hrs; maybe that will be even colder

again, it's not ideal as Bob mentioned, but the models are sniffing out something that could, if we get uncharacteristically lucky, give us some snow

Yes I like what its showing on the models for the 81-96 timeframe, and am interested by the 108 time, as the GFS came about 100 miles north from 18z on that and I'm not calling it a trend to the ggem, but it looks more like it. The temp profiles for that one would be much more optimal too. 

Archived