January 2013 mid-long range disco thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dc had a hi of 8 low of -4 a departure of -32 for the day

iad was 6 and -6 departure of -30

ric was 12 and -1 a departure of -29

I had to walk 10-11 blocks in Baltimore City straight into the wind, got there, and they said it was cancelled because the judge couldn't make it 

lazy pos    lol

man that is definitely the coldest I have ever felt

who needs a big storm when we can deep freeze for nothing.

I guess we could luck out with the shearing trough before the vortex really drops south but then we might be too warm. It's a pattern where you can get clippers over the great lakes to screw things up and then have cold air plunge and freeze. Of course, when there is cold you can always luck out and have a better chance at getting an inch or two than when you are torching.

I guess we could luck out with the shearing trough before the vortex really drops south but then we might be too warm. It's a pattern where you can get clippers over the great lakes to screw things up and then have cold air plunge and freeze. Of course, when there is cold you can always luck out and have a better chance at getting an inch or two than when you are torching.

we got a little snow late jan '09 as the pattern relaxed. plus march was rockin'

That's because I was looking for an image and then my computer burped. No one is going to like what I've got to say anyway, this may be a cold pattern but not one that get big snowstorms. Instead it favors clippers if anything.

I was able to nickel and dime my way to a massive 2.2" last year.  I will happily N&D clippers to get to climo.

It's always been my motto: no one ever got snow at 68 degrees.... Give me the cold

Everyone has been so excited over the cold but I hate the large scale features in the flow for getting a significant snow event.  Maybe I am different in how I look at it, but I usually focus on looking for the H5 pattern to get a favorable storm track, then hope the cold works out.  Looking at just temperatures seems to be a waste, it can be 10 one day and rain or freezing rain (YUCK)  the next if the storm track sucks. 

That's because I was looking for an image and then my computer burped. No one is going to like what I've got to say anyway, this may be a cold pattern but not one that get big snowstorms. Instead it favors clippers if anything.

You will get lake effected to death.  I'm jelly

We'll see.  I'm not in a great spot for it, but better than most places as far east as I am.  Some local orographics help with certain trajectories.

I did have a couple of small snowfalls just prior to the deep freeze in 2009, which helped me bottom out at -5F one morning. Looking for similar if today's runs are accurate.

Archived