• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

I'm wondering if there will be one of those "surprising" heavy bands that develop near the western cutoff. Seen that happen many times in the past with these types of storms, and the amounts always end up being considerably higher than what's modeled. During the GHD storm a narrow band of very heavy snow fell over eastern Iowa, and that resulted in amounts considerably higher than forecast. These bands tend to have higher ratios of snow to water too, so they can be more efficient. Something else to think about. If I was in Chicago I'd still be feeling pretty decent about this system.

I hope you're right about the possibilities! It is just a matter of tempering too much excitement so it's not a letdown if it doesn't happen.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh the NAM clown maps. Brings back memories after a year without them lol. These are notorious for upsetting snow weenies. Remember, a few days ago we really would have been happy with any accumulating snow, as only the euro was giving us any. Well now that the NAM is spitting out these ridiculous totals....say we end up with a 4-7" snowstorm, people will lament these 14-16" clown maps and forget that 4-7" is way more than most models showed 5-6 days prior to the storm.

It's been a SE outlier up until this point...

Ok, but it is still pretty far south in regards to the NAM and GFS, and I would say both of those models adjusted south. At the very least, the transfer was happening much sooner with the NAM and GFS tonight, and on the 18z GFS, there was really no transfer at all.

That said, what I am looking for really is an earlier transfer from primary to secondary, not so much a further south track.

Ahh the NAM clown maps. Brings back memories after a year without them lol. These are notorious for upsetting snow weenies. Remember, a few days ago we really would have been happy with any accumulating snow, as only the euro was giving us any. Well now that the NAM is spitting out these ridiculous totals....say we end up with a 4-7" snowstorm, people will lament these 14-16" clown maps and forget that 4-7" is way more than most models showed 5-6 days prior to the storm.

Not here. If I get 4" of snow I'll be having sex with it.

Here's the GHD storm example I was talking about. Unexpected band of very heavy snow formed towards the northwestern fringe of the main deform zone, and stalled out. Dumped very heavy accumulations. The models usually don't catch these type of bands IMO. I think they develop as the drier air from the west squeezes against the "backing" deformation zone and form an intense band of snow along that convergent zone. With this storm the models have a pretty sharp cutoff on the northwestern edge of the storm, so this area of enhancement could be pretty pronounced. Anyway, something to watch for those on the northwestern fringe...

ghdg.jpg

Here's the GHD storm example I was talking about. Unexpected band of very heavy snow formed towards the northwestern fringe of the main deform zone, and stalled out. Dumped very heavy accumulations. The models usually don't catch these type of bands IMO. I think they develop as the drier air from the west squeezes against the "backing" deformation zone and form an intense band of snow along that convergent zone. With this storm the models have a pretty sharp cutoff on the northwestern edge of the storm, so this area of enhancement could be pretty pronounced. Anyway, something to watch for those on the northwestern fringe...

ghdg.jpg

Those are frontogenesis forced bands that tend to form on the fringes of the main deformation zones. They can actually absorb a lot of the lift and produce relatively lighter amounts for the areas surrounding it. The whole process behind how they form is complex. I seem to remember reading it was a combination of strong sfc convergence and upper level diffluence.

Meh, this run brings me an inch of snow on the backside. I can't complain because I'm one of those stupid beleivers that beleives storms like to track along the edge of the snowpack. If the models hold, that would somewhat make sense with this storm. Plus, I don't see a high pressure to keep the low pressure in Tennessee.

I'm going to go ahead and look at the end of the week storm. Kentucky will be closer to the edge of that snowpack and a northwest trend would be my friend at this point.

One thing on the GGEM image is how with a low in eastern KY is there rain showing up in west KY, se IN and sw OH? Seems like its overdone on backside warm air. NAM and GFS are somewhat similar too.

Great question Other than the nam...the majority of guidance takes the primary to ky or wv....this is usually a hit for the northern 2/3rds of Ohio and yet we're fighting rain.

Yeah cyclone, that was an f-gen band based around 700mb I believe. Had some thunder and lightning with it too if I recall. Bands like that are typically not very well forecast due to their local nature (resolution issues) and the non-linear processes involved. We've gotten to the point where a meso model will sometimes pop them at closer ranges but they're usually not well handled.

A couple of bands like that will probably occur this time around, but it's tough to say where. A good spot to guess is typically west of the pivot point for the deformation zone (that GHD band occurred there).

Archived