joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your prediction for northeastern IL Geos?

I think will get accumulating lake effect. If we do get synoptic snow it will be blended with lake enhancement. Light steady snow for a time, then maybe some moderate lake effect as the system pulls away.

More then we got with Thursday night. I would say!

With the last storm, other than that one run on the 72+ hr run of the nam that was way nw, how accurate was it once it got within 60 hrs? Not that it relates to this storm, but just curious

At this point it was agreement with the other models. It started NW but quickly caved to the other models..

At this point

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/NAM-php/showmap-conussfc.php?run=2012121806&time=INSTANT&var=PRMSL&hour=054

You don't really think we're getting any snow with this do you? There is going to be no NW trend that gets us anything and the LES looks like crap for up here.. Fun to track I suppose if there is nothing else to do but we've been cooked for days.

Fun to track, and that is why I am tracking it. A lot on the line I suppose for SEMI posters and Snowstormcanuck, not to mention St. Louis.

No I dont believe it but hey 10-16'' could be possible.

This model goes over board with the snowfall totals LOL, but realistically i think for now 6-10 inches seems more reasonable, again this is still 50+ hours out so a few things can still change, again its something exciting, finally.

I will be paying more attention to this now.

Lol...after that, I am truly in the donut hole. I am so disappointed that I moved here during such crappy winters

..and all the southeast MI folks can guilt trip me and tell me to be "happy with what I get in a lake effect snow belt", but truth is, this area seems to SUCK synoptically...and if the winds aren't right, there is no lake effect....and the winds haven't been right for several winters. Urgh.

Yep.. The zone between here, Bowme and you has been the screw zone for several winters now. It is bound to change. Just a matter of when. Even though i appear to be in a better spot for this event then you i am still not sold on it. As that snowmap shows it wont take much of a shift to end up with a total miss here. Plus it is hard to get excited when the main features are tracking across KY. RARELY does it work out here when that happens. Thus my doubts about the higher QPF up this way that this model showed. We'll see anyways. Gut says the nw trend stops and maybe even a little tick back to the se.

This model goes over board with the snowfall totals LOL, but realistically i think for now 6-10 inches seems more reasonable, again this is still 50+ hours out so a few things can still change, again its something exciting, finally.

I will be paying more attention to this now.

Based on what the models are showing now, I agree with 6-10. Aside from the NAM, it's not being advertised by any of the other models as a particularly protracted event. Maybe 12 hours. I hesitate to throw up big numbers when things are quick moving like that.

Yep.. The zone between here, Bowme and you has been the screw zone for several winters now. It is bound to change. Just a matter of when. Even though i appear to be in a better spot for this event then you i am still not sold on it. As that snowmap shows it wont take much of a shift to end up with a total miss here. Plus it is hard to get excited when the main features are tracking across KY. RARELY does it work out here when that happens. Thus my doubts about the higher QPF up this way that this model showed. We'll see anyways. Gut says the nw trend stops and maybe even a little tick back to the se.

How on earth do we get snowstorms here? The climate here is so frustrating! It either weakens, warms up and we get rain, orit goes southeast. Is it just unfortunate luck that we keep getting screwed or is this part of the climate? Soooo frustrated that I moved here for winter and have gotten years of fall and summer!

Cant see the upper level maps, so I don't have an idea of what might happen, but RGEM at 48 has a sub 1000mb low on the AR/MS border.

Lots of heavy snow over the northwestern half of Arkansas. Also southern Missouri spreading into southern Illinois. Looks like it would end up being good for STL through LAF to DET.

Archived