Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it's either one strong primary or a euro-esque transfer solution. I think the nam hasn't made up its mind

Agreed. Just given teh fact that the NAM is still outside of it's useful range, and that the Euro shows the transfer and the GFS moved towards a transfer scenario, I am leaning towards an earlier transfer.

That might be just a bit of wishcasting though.

fun...or funny?

it looks like it's trying in it's own confused way, to move towards the euro. I base this on the goofy way it tries to pop a secondary. The primary travels well into w. OH and pops a secondary in w.NC.

if the primary makes it that far nw....there won't be a secondary.

Either works... I enjoy seeing some of the crap it tries to pull and its sometimes good for a laugh. If it verifies then anybody from LOT to YYZ will have their signature storm of the season.

have to wonder if if you'll see higher amounts than forecasted closer to the NAM given the moisture feed and possible banding.

Interested to read LOT's AFD.

Gonna have to watch how the convection behaves down south. If it becomes oriented in an unfavorable way then it could be a negative for snow totals. OTOH it could turn out to be a positive.

Wonder if we'll get a NAM clown run that has like 20" here just like what happened immediately prior to 12/15/07.

Considerable warm sector instability with this one. Transport of that unstable air above the frontal surface will make for some considerable localized convective enhancement on the front flank of the storm, especially early on in its life cycle. Could see some local jackpots of 12-15". Also a little concerned about convective feedback into the main vortex on this one.

The 15Z SREF has certainly locked into step with previous runs and is further NW than the globals. In particular the ARW members seem to be skewing the averages a little too far to the NW, with the unrealistically flat, strung out portion of the NMM members offsetting some of that.

Pretty wild too see the euro ensemble mean further nw vs the OP. Been awhile since i have seen that. Usually the ensemble mean has been less amplified/further se ( see last storm for example ) then the OP run. Ensemble mean is alot more juicier up here as well with over .50 QPF ( This line reaches Benton Harbor ) and over .75 in the eastern/se part of the state and a inch+ over towards SSC.

Pretty wild too see the euro ensemble mean further nw vs the OP. Been awhile since i have seen that. Usually the ensemble mean has been less amplified/further se ( see last storm for example ) then the OP run. Ensemble mean is alot more juicier up here as well with over .50 QPF ( This line reaches Benton Harbor ) and over .75 in the eastern/se part of the state and a inch+ over towards SSC.

any of the members good for northeast IL?

:wub:

Considerable warm sector instability with this one. Transport of that unstable air above the frontal surface will make for some considerable localized convective enhancement on the front flank of the storm, especially early on in its life cycle. Could see some local jackpots of 12-15". Also a little concerned about convective feedback into the main vortex on this one.

The 15Z SREF has certainly locked into step with previous runs and is further NW than the globals. In particular the ARW members seem to be skewing the averages a little too far to the NW, with the unrealistically flat, strung out portion of the NMM members offsetting some of that.

uvvs = 15 -ubars/s along the WCB per 18z NAM.

I was going to ask, at the risk of being accused of trolling, but does that make any sense at all? I have never seen a primary go into Cincy and Dayton, then pop a secondary over the Carolina Mountains.

To me, at least the surface appearance on the NAM made no sense to me.

Living in Central Ohio for 20 years I would agree with this statement. This system looks very much like several I have seen before where the low pressure center passes near the Ohio/WV border before jumping to the East Coast. The rain/snow line sets up NW of Columbus, and the greatest snowfall amounts end up from Indy to FWA/Lima and Toledo.

Just like the last system teased me to the north/west, this system/lake effect looks to tease me just to the south/east. In Kenosha County, the forecast is there for about 3-5 inches of snow in the next few days for a combination of LES/NW edge of precip shield, with the focus from S Milwaukee County south.

Yeah it sucks being stuck in the middle. I am just hoping for a couple inches of lake effect as a consolation prize, to an otherwise lame December.

Archived