• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

How on earth do we get snowstorms here? The climate here is so frustrating! It either weakens, warms up and we get rain, orit goes southeast. Is it just unfortunate luck that we keep getting screwed or is this part of the climate? Soooo frustrated that I moved here for winter and have gotten years of fall and summer!

From 2008-09 on back there was a number of very decent winters/storms up that way and here ofcourse. For here it ended in 2009-10.. Thus when the last decent jackpot was had in these parts. That area where you are killed it in 2007-08 ofcourse this was true for the whole region in general but that area/here back to bowme/se WI did exceptionally well that winter. The LES on the other hand has been non existent for the most part for sw/W.MI as we have either had terrible set ups ( something lacking/winds-flow too strong etc ) or the flow has been northerly/nne vs west/wnw which we want. 2008-09 was ok here with that as well as 2006-07 and that is it and that is not saying much either.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the popular phrase this year? I think I have read that at least 5 times already this winter.

Someone from the previous storm that buried Central Iowa thru N.MI. Called that storm "run of the mill" Meanwhile Madison was being buried in nearly 20" of snow and he was 100% serious. So Its been used quite frequently since. It was a really poor post and comical at the same time.

From 2008-09 on back there was a number of very decent winters/storms up that way and here ofcourse. For here it ended in 2009-10.. Thus when the last decent jackpot was had in these parts. That area where you are killed it in 2007-08 ofcourse this was true for the whole region in general but that area/here back to bowme/se WI did exceptionally well that winter. The LES on the other hand has been non existent for the most part for sw/W.MI as we have either had terrible set ups ( something lacking/winds-flow too strong etc ) or the flow has been northerly/nne vs west/wnw which we want. 2008-09 was ok here with that as well as 2006-07 and that is it and that is not saying much either.

Yeah, I moved here the summer of 2009, so there hasn't been much for me to experience. According to the NAM, it looks like you guys may very well get a good snow.

Fun to track, and that is why I am tracking it. A lot on the line I suppose for SEMI posters and Snowstormcanuck, not to mention St. Louis.

Just surprised your wasting so much time for a non-event here after you said you were done until after the Holidays. I knew that was a crockpot of poop though lol.. I wouldn't even want to admit how many days I have wasted over the last 4 yrs following winter storms just in the north east let a lone storms like this that are a miss closer to home. Then throw in all our snow events. Pathetic.

snow heading for the eastern half of the LOT CWA at the end of that.

I'm wondering if there will be one of those "surprising" heavy bands that develop near the western cutoff. Seen that happen many times in the past with these types of storms, and the amounts always end up being considerably higher than what's modeled. During the GHD storm a narrow band of very heavy snow fell over eastern Iowa, and that resulted in amounts considerably higher than forecast. These bands tend to have higher ratios of snow to water too, so they can be more efficient. Something else to think about. If I was in Chicago I'd still be feeling pretty decent about this system.

Archived