EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep the 00z is a near duplicate of the 12z run. Talk about a fake out by the euro ensembles. Back in the day when that happened the OP usually followed along.. Slight difference is the QPF is slightly more aligned from the west vs south.

It seems like whether its the gfs or euro....the ensembles don't mean crap lately

Really expected a shift nw with euro....

Yeah it ( nor it's ensembles ) are what it/they once were. As mentioned in the last post typically when the ensembles were nw of the OP the OP usually corrected back in that direction on the next run.. Not anymore.. Ofcourse if i recall correctly it pulled this sort of fake out last week.

I got a slight bump in QPF here but thats not saying much.

It seems like whether its the gfs or euro....the ensembles don't mean crap lately

yep.. Last week the euro ensembles were hell bent on taking that system near/just south of here and even at one point ( 48hrs or so out) took it to Indy and then Toledo.. Talking about the last cutter.

Subtle differences between the GFS, NAM and EC in the Pacific at initialization are having a big impact on the downstream track. In particular, the EC is about 10kt stronger with the jet streak at 300mb than the NAM and the orientation is about 10 degrees more clockwise.

There is only PIREP data that far out and only two data points to go on at this juncture (that are sampling the jet streak in question), but a plane did report 306/78 at 3:47Z west of Oregon at flight level 320. I only have the 300mb data to go on atm (which is about 300, there won't be a big difference at that altitude), but the Euro did seem a bit strong compared to the ob (~85kt). The NAM was running ~75. We'll have to watch as the balloon data and better quality PIREPs come in to see who is modeling that jet streak better.

Subtle differences between the GFS, NAM and EC in the Pacific at initialization are having a big impact on the downstream track. In particular, the EC is about 10kt stronger with the jet streak at 300mb than the NAM and the orientation is about 10 degrees more clockwise.

There is only PIREP data that far out and only two data points to go on at this juncture (that are sampling the jet streak in question), but a plane did report 306/78 at 3:47Z west of Oregon at flight level 320. I only have the 300mb data to go on atm (which is about 300, there won't be a big difference at that altitude), but the Euro did seem a bit strong compared to the ob (~85kt). The NAM was running ~75. We'll have to watch as the balloon data and better quality PIREPs come in to see who is modeling that jet streak better.

I think the 12z runs should have all of that data if i am not mistaken? Or am i off?

I think the 12z runs should have all of that data if i am not mistaken? Or am i off?

We should have a balloon through the jet streak at Medford, OR and Oakland, CA tomorrow morning. It doesn't fully come onshore until after that, but it may be good enough to put this to rest by the 12Z runs. If not, definitely by the 00Z runs we'll know. As a result of the Euro's handling of the jet streak strength and orientation, it causes the trough to dig deeper faster than the rest of the model guidance and thus come in further south than the others in the later ranges.

Can you post the EURO text for MIE? Thanks.

hows Terre Haute do with all this? HUF...

MIE:

WED 12Z 26-DEC  -1.4    -1.4    1010	  84	 100    0.20	 548	 540   
WED 18Z 26-DEC  -1.9    -4.2    1006	  93	  88    0.50	 542	 537   
THU 00Z 27-DEC  -2.6    -7.1    1010	  89	  81    0.12	 542	 534   
THU 06Z 27-DEC  -4.0    -7.7    1014	  87	  52    0.01	 546	 535

HUF:

WED 06Z 26-DEC   0.6    -2.2    1015	  71	  86    0.03	 551	 539   
WED 12Z 26-DEC  -0.3    -1.9    1008	  84	 100    0.24	 546	 539   
WED 18Z 26-DEC  -0.9    -5.8    1008	  88	  96    0.40	 541	 535   
THU 00Z 27-DEC  -0.9    -7.8    1014	  85	  64    0.09	 546	 534   
THU 06Z 27-DEC  -1.7    -6.1    1017	  86	  23    0.01	 552	 538

We should have a balloon through the jet streak at Medford, OR and Oakland, CA tomorrow morning. It doesn't fully come onshore until after that, but it may be good enough to put this to rest by the 12Z runs. If not, definitely by the 00Z runs we'll know. As a result of the Euro's handling of the jet streak strength and orientation, it causes the trough to dig deeper faster than the rest of the model guidance and thus come in further south than the others in the later ranges.

Thanks!

Riding the edge with this one, but it looks very good for those just south and east :)

Locally, looks like 2-4" would be possible. Not too excited about the lake potential in NW Indiana, but it could account for 1-4" of additional snowfall in favored areas--four to six inches of total snowfall is certainly a reasonable possibility within Lake/Porter Counties. I'm also intrigued about the possibility for moderate lake snows in NE Illinois. Mesoscale details will need to be worked out on a closer date, but right now it looks pretty good for a lake plume (convergence zone near Chitown?) to offer up some fun late Wednesday.

Archived