Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How you survived the 1990s is beyond me.

More used to it. I REALLY started to get into weather in the mid-1990s, right when we hit a run of crappy winters. It was what we knew back then...its not what we know now.

Since I began measuring imby...

95-96: 31.3"

96-97: 35.9"

97-98: 27.2"

98-99: 51.6"

99-00: 29.3"

00-01: 47.3"

01-02: 42.5"

02-03: 66.9"

03-04: 36.6"

04-05: 80.7"

05-06: 41.9"

06-07: 36.3"

07-08: 78.2"

08-09: 64.8"

09-10: 46.1"

10-11: 69.4"

11-12: 25.5"

12-13: ?

Can't blame you for being conservative given our luck. Definitely not a "trend" yet. 6z GFS/12z NAM might end up being aberrant. We'll get a sense in about 20 minutes.

The fact that the EURO still has us around 1.00'' QPF makes me still feel good about this.

EDIT: Also the new 9z SREF mean still has us in the 1.00''-1.25'' QPF range FWIW.

Alberta Clippers is how we survived

Yup. I swear 75% of our snow came from those back then. The last decade, we have gotten way less clippers than the '90s, but way more snow. Also...a clipper in the '90s was almost always a 1-3" or 2-4" snowfall...now in the 2000s, though they are less in frequency, they can be stronger in strength. Point to the clippers of 2004 & 2005 in SE MI....up to and over a foot in places.

sorry but this is ridiculous.

You don't know Toronto. I've lived here most of my life, save for 6 years in Ottawa. This is not a city prone to heavy snowfalls. Climo and topography work against it. And the frustrating thing is that most torontonians are happy about this. Most weather agencies will say, "we lucked out again" when a storm misses us.

You don't know Toronto. I've lived here most of my life, save for 6 years in Ottawa. This is not a city prone to heavy snowfalls. Climo and topography work against it. And the frustrating thing is that most torontonians are happy about this. Most weather agencies will say, "we lucked out again" when a storm misses us.

When I hear this it just solidifies my argument that Toronto is the city of weather complainers.

When I hear this it just solidifies my argument that Toronto is the city of weather complainers.

It really is. Last January I drove up to Ottawa to meet some friends. It started snowing steadily in the afternoon, continuing into the evening, with an air temperature around -13 degrees celcius. In Toronto, nobody would have showed up to meet me. Up there, everybody did. The snow didn't phase them. In Toronto the avergage public panics if 2" is forecasted.

It really is. Last January I drove up to Ottawa to meet some friends. It started snowing steadily in the afternoon, continuing into the evening, with an air temperature around -13 degrees celcius. In Toronto, nobody would have showed up to meet me. Up there, everybody did. The snow didn't phase them. In Toronto the avergage public panics if 2" is forecasted.

We complain when it's cold out and the temperature is around 0. Imagine if we got cold like the what the praries have been expieriencing. We wouldn't probably step outside lol

Definitely over done just a little bit. Last time we saw a map like that, 2007 VDay!

A blurb on Indy's WSW product, might give them wiggle room to up their 5-9" amounts:

"FORECASTER CONFIDENCE: MEDIUM. THERE REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY

AS TO THE TRACK OF THE LOW. A MORE WESTWARD TRACK OF THE LOW

WOULD RESULT IN LOWER SNOW TOTALS AS MORE WARM AIR WOULD

OVERSPREAD THE AREA. IF THE LOW TRACKS FURTHER EAST...THE

COLDER TEMPERATURES WOULD RESULT IN HIGHER SNOW TOTALS."

A blurb on Indy's WSW product, might give them wiggle room to up their 5-9" amounts:

"FORECASTER CONFIDENCE: MEDIUM. THERE REMAINS SOME UNCERTAINTY

AS TO THE TRACK OF THE LOW. A MORE WESTWARD TRACK OF THE LOW

WOULD RESULT IN LOWER SNOW TOTALS AS MORE WARM AIR WOULD

OVERSPREAD THE AREA. IF THE LOW TRACKS FURTHER EAST...THE

COLDER TEMPERATURES WOULD RESULT IN HIGHER SNOW TOTALS."

Yes there could be some higher totals, but not in the 18-20" range like the NAM is tossing out..

Archived