e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 26-27 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still sloppy and riding the edge....pretty much i-70 north it looks like....but MASSIVE improvement. Especially considering the nam was the worst model for us

Exactly. The NAM had soaking rain almost to Toledo yesterday. This is a massive step in the right direction and it also means a capitulation to the EC.

And there it is SSC, what could go wrong...

Well, to put things in perspective:

1. I never thought the clown runs of the NAM would verify (although I didn't expect THIS much of a step back)

2. Verbatim, it's still 4-6" here and for you guys in SE MI, so assuming and hoping this isn't the start of the trend, I'd be more than happy with that.

3. This might be a noise level shift that can easily be corrected. Only would take a 50 mile northerly shift in that monstrous QPF axis to get us back into some higher amounts.

1. I never thought the clown runs of the NAM would verify (although I didn't expect THIS much of a step back)

2. Verbatim, it's still 4-6" here and for you guys in SE MI, so assuming and hoping this isn't the start of the trend, I'd be more than happy with that.

3. This might be a noise level shift that can easily be corrected. Only would take a 50 mile northerly shift in that monstrous QPF axis to get us back into some higher amounts.

Good points. What I really meant was any increased blocking further suppressing that axis would be what could go wrong.

Congrats Josh. Looks like one of those storms that gives Wyandotte 8 inches and Howell 3.

Jon

If the blocking were to weaken just a hair 3" can turn into 8-9" easily for you. It could be one of those storms that could go down to the wire. Don't fold your cards yet.

I've been following this threat from the outside the last few days and I have to say that 4-6" is a safe bet for us. Also, this run of the NAM puts us back in the game for a minor snowfall tonight (an inch or so). Last night's 00z NAM run had nothing for us with respect to tonight's event.

Could you point that out to me? Because I'm not seeing any real changes aloft on the 12z run. May be a subtle feature I'm glossing over.

I was mainly referring to the added confluence over Southeast Canada (compared to the 00Z run in particular). I wasn't clear, but I meant any hypothetical increased blocking in future runs.

I've been following this threat from the outside the last few days and I have to say that 4-6" is a safe bet for us. Also, this run of the NAM puts us back in the game for a minor snowfall tonight (an inch or so). Last night's 00z NAM run had nothing for us with respect to tonight's event.

In the anti-snow hell we call our home, YOU NEVER KNOW.

I was mainly referring to the added confluence over Southeast Canada (compared to the 00Z run in particular). I wasn't clear, but I meant any hypothetical increased blocking in future runs.

I compared with 6z at around 30 hours. It was like a fraction of a millimetre further south (distance on my screen of course, not reality). If that's all it's going to take to drag us from epic to modest, we might have to sweat this one out. another 0.5mm to the south and I can start laying grass seed for the spring.

Congrats Josh. Looks like one of those storms that gives Wyandotte 8 inches and Howell 3.

Jon

So recapping the last 3-4 days of model runs for here. First its too far SE to see any snow, then its good, then too NW for comfort, and now trending SE again. Im certainly safe for now...but trends arent in the favor of SE MI...but now that its been sampled, I have to believe the chances of this being a complete miss are extremely low. Also note how much slower than NAM is...the latest run has snow starting here around 2pm Wed and lasting through something like 8am Thur. Previous runs were more like 7am Wed to 3am Thu. As long as we get a nice blanket of snow I will be happy. Its also looking increasingly likely that it will be my favorite kind of snow, powder. If we miss the jackpot...no big deal. If the NAM clown maps dont verify...again, if anyone hoped they would...THATS the problem. But if I get NO snow from this...I will be EXTREMELY pissed off.

So recapping the last 3-4 days of model runs for here. First its too far SE to see any snow, then its good, then too NW for comfort, and now trending SE again. Im certainly safe for now...but trends arent in the favor of SE MI...but now that its been sampled, I have to believe the chances of this being a complete miss are extremely low. Also note how much slower than NAM is...the latest run has snow starting here around 2pm Wed and lasting through something like 8am Thur. Previous runs were more like 7am Wed to 3am Thu. As long as we get a nice blanket of snow I will be happy. Its also looking increasingly likely that it will be my favorite kind of snow, powder. If we miss the jackpot...no big deal. If the NAM clown maps dont verify...again, if anyone hoped they would...THATS the problem. But if I get NO snow from this...I will be EXTREMELY pissed off.

How you survived the 1990s is beyond me.

Archived