Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Pattern and Storm Discussion

Cold Rain

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far this year, the PNA has won that battle going away. But there are apparently analogues that say we do ok with a -NAO/-PNA combo. I guess we'll see.

I was reading in another forum that you need strong -AO and -NAO combo to overcome that much of a neg PNA...further north not as much....it all about the pig ridge and where it ends up

So, I don't know how to view the CFS. In Nov, it nailed the Dec warmth, but ever since then, it's been penalized a hundred yards for falsely starting on the cold.

Does it have a cold bias like the GFS?

It's by no means perfect but its been fairly good. You can check out the verifications for it and its verified well. I still hope the weeklies are good tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the responses, guys. This is my first year really paying much attention to the CFS, so I'm still trying to learn how to interpret it. One more dumb question: We talk about the CFS and the CFSv2. Are they the same? Or is the CFS the first iteration and it's eventually going to be replaced by the V2?

18z in the LR is just beautiful. It shows what potential is there. I think Larry has the right of it though, we probably won't get into the good action until at least the 20th.

Its like a conveyor belt of bitter cold in the 300hr and beyond....much different than the last run...very nice

Thanks for the responses, guys. This is my first year really paying much attention to the CFS, so I'm still trying to learn how to interpret it. One more dumb question: We talk about the CFS and the CFSv2. Are they the same? Or is the CFS the first iteration and it's eventually going to be replaced by the V2?

The initial version of the CFS was retired back in October...so, whenever someone talks about the CFS, it's CFSv2

I've been doing a little bit of research today on winter's in the past with  similar temperature progression as well as similar teleconnections 79-80 looks like  a decent match so far. 

ENSO DJFM avg: 0.45       PDO DJFM avg: 0.47   NAO DJFM avg:  -0.71    AO DJFM avg: -0.785    

I haven't done very much research, the mjo progression looks like it will be different. The PDO monthly values  start at slightly negative during December and January, then made a huge change to positive for Feb. and March. Haven't looked at any 500mb maps or anything, so this may be a terrible match. Interestingly this is one of the winters that had a 3 month period (actually the AO stayed negative well into spring) of strongly negative AO starting in Jan.

post-710-0-76458500-1357517571_thumb.png

post-710-0-25338800-1357517580_thumb.png

post-710-0-43672500-1357517590_thumb.png

post-710-0-54516800-1357517597_thumb.png

Also just to note, this is actually the look the Euro showed for one or two runs before it fell to what the GFS was showing....which seems to be a trend these days.  I doubt the GFS holds on to this look but I've noticed the GFS has sniffed out storms and patterns a lot better than the Euro has when you get out past say 100 hours. 

the models are just as bad out that far on a heat wave as they are a huge snowstorm.  it will never be that warm at that time.

To me that looks about right....10 degrees over normal right?  That would put us in the upper 60s to 70, which is what's forecasted in the 5-10.  I think the CFS is rightly a torch for that time.  We've just got nothing going on for 2 more weeks.  The question about what's next after the 20th is the big unknown.  I think the NAO and AO are going to be in our favor for a while.  If we can get that neutral PNA to positive for a tick or two we could be in for a fun week or so. 

yes and lets get that southeast ridge out of the way.  that sucker has worn out its welcome.  we need a strong cold front to push it a little further away.  plus we all know it doesn't have to be that cold to snow, it needs to be just cold enough which isn't freezing cold.  I've seen some of our biggest snowstorms at 34 degrees on the surface.  its upstairs where the temp counts more than the surface.

yes and lets get that southeast ridge out of the way.  that sucker has worn out its welcome.  we need a strong cold front to push it a little further away.

The SE ridge is a huge thorn, very nina like, we are going to need the -AO/-NAO to be super suppressive otherwise we are going to be on the wrong side of storms.

The PNA has been trending more and more positive the last few days. I would still say it looks neutral in the long range. Question is what does a neutral PNA, a negative NAO, and a negative AO produce? **I have an amateur understanding of the NAO, PNA, and AO. How does the SE ridge get tracted/reported?

neutral PNA, -NAO, -AO would produce a decent pattern for us...depending on how strongly negative those features are, it might just overwhelm the neutral PNA and get rid of that pesky pacific that many believe has been getting in our way so far....so neutral is good, IMO, anything other than +PNA. If this works out there would be no SE ridge but a nice trough conducive of storms.

I've been predicting an above normal January for KATL since I analyzed the Jan.'s following the 14 warm Decembers because almost all of the non-El Nino Jan.'s verified to be above normal (2+) and several were even well above normal (5+). I'd say that forecast is looking real good right now. My confidence is now up to about 80-90%. Why? For the period 1/1-1/21, incorporating actual MTD as well as the 15 day forecast, KATL should be in the general vicinity of a cumulative 135 degrees above normal. That would mean that assuming a pretty accurate 15 day forecast, the last 10 days of Jan. would need to average a whopping ~7 degrees below normal just to get January down to near 2 degrees above normal for the entire month. Even if we finally get some decent winter wx then, January would still likely verify warmer than two above normal since 1/1-21 will very likely be so much warmer than normal as a whole.

Archived