• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Can we salvage a White Christmas in SNE?

Damage In Tolland

I think you mean cutter. We haven't seen a clipper in quite a bit. Winter 2010 was full of those if I remember right. We are looking at something come Christmas day but location is still up in the air.

Euro and some other guidance hints at a smaller system for late 12/24 or early 12/25...a clipper-esque low. The more substantial system afterward around 12/27 is the modeled cutter.

The Christmas system is small, so who knows if it will stay on the models.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is funny... haha ... Let's embellish it so that it says what it really means:

REGARDING PREFS FOR DAYS 3-5 SAT-MON... HPC CONTINUITY HAS THUS

FAR DOWNPLAYED THE SFC WAVE WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST OVER THE OH

VLY/GRTLKS REGION BY DAY 5 MON BECAUSE OUR SECRET IN HOUSE MISER

MODEL HATES ANYONES SENSE OF HOLIDAY GLEE. THIS FAVORS THE 00Z ECMWF

AND 00Z ECMWF/GEFS MEANS UNTIL THERE IS FURTHER EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT A

SIGNIFICANT ADJUSTMENT. IN FACT ONE THING THAT IS CLEAR OVER THE LAST

MONTHS WORTH OF RUNS IS THAT THE ECMWF WILL SUCCEED IN RUINING WINTER

FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS. FARTHER WWD A NEARLY EVEN BLEND OF THOSE

SOLNS LEANS AWAY FROM THE 00Z GFS THAT BECOMES A LITTLE MORE

AMPLIFIED THAN CONSENSUS WITH THE OVERALL TROF ALOFT BY DAY 4 SUN

AND 06Z GFS/GEFS MEAN THAT BECOMES SLIGHTLY FASTER WITH LEADING

HGT FALLS ALREADY ON DAY 3. FOR DAYS 6-7 TUE-WED...

TELECONNECTION PREFS OVER THE CONUS/ERN PAC LATE IN THE PERIOD

FAVOR EMPHASIS ON THE 00Z ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN. THE 00Z GEFS MEAN

SFC EVOLUTION IS CLOSE ENOUGH TO ALLOW UP TO 30 PCT WEIGHTING.

RAUSCH

eh, I don't really care either way - in fact, if we don't get a flake of snow again this year, I'd be more fascinating and interesting to me in seeing that happen; I get the funny feeling I am alone in that regard - understood. But, I merely opine out of spirit for commiseration, in that I can sense a lot of troubled contributors around here as of late. You gotta find other hobbies to involve with, bide time, until such time as the vagaries of the wind come back around to favor you.

That said, I would really not put very much stock in this Euro run for that D8-10 thing...

FWIW, the pattern has changed a lot...a pattern can change quite a bit without us going into January 2011 KU heaven. Those types of patterns are rare to begin with. The pattern isn't done changing either. We've transitioned from a dry, warm pattern across a lot of the eastern half of the U.S the first 10-14 days of Dec to a stormy pattern albeit still mild in the means, esp where we are in the northeast. Unfortunately its not as cold as we'd like, but that should continue to change in our favor the further we go along. Don't expect severe cold either. But a step down to more seasonal cold is likely over the next 7-10 days...regardless of that the 12/27 storm does. I do think that one could have a very icy look in the interior, but we are a ways out. I wouldn't rule out a snow to ice scenario either. As long as the pattern continues to go stormy here in the next few weeks, we will cash in...esp for areas further north.

At any rate, this talk should really be in the pattern thread and not this one which is focusing on stuff for 12/25 and earlier.

We have like 75 threads to discuss what's 10 flakes of snow before ice and then rain.

The pattern has definitely changed. It went from warm and dry, to mild and mostly wet. We're in a stormy pattern, there's just no cold air around to support snow south of 42n.

We have like 75 threads to discuss what's 10 flakes of snow before ice and then rain.

The pattern has definitely changed. It went from warm and dry, to mild and mostly wet. We're in a stormy pattern, there's just no cold air around to support snow south of 42n.

IMO that's what I foresee for the rest of this winter, a lack of cold air but plenty of storms. Last year had plenty of cold air in Alaska/Western Canada but hardly any of it came south, this year so far seems much the same.

IMO that's what I foresee for the rest of this winter, a lack of cold air but plenty of storms. Last year had plenty of cold air in Alaska/Western Canada but hardly any of it came south, this year so far seems much the same.

Last year the cold was bottled up in AK with a vortex over them....Canada was completely torched. This year we have a significant chunk of Canada below average for temps thus far....which bodes well down the road. We've struggled to get that air into the CONUS via a combo of a neturalish to at times positive EPO and a -PNA with it...that combo will tend to keep it bottled in Canada.

But the pattern is definitely not the same as last year. We don't thave a death vortex over AK killing us this time around. There is some reason to be optimistic going forward, but I certainly don't blame people if they think its going to be like last year since they aren't getting any snow again.

I only tell people to remember November if they think this year has been the same.

Too many threads go to the toity. It may snow around 12/25. Concentrate on that.

I tried...some people didn't like that idea. They prefered to talk about how it won't snow between now and January.

That idea could turn out correct, but I'm not sure why its difficult to post it in the pattern thread. We have two main threads...that and this one. If people want to banter, there is a banter thread too.

I think you mean cutter. We haven't seen a clipper in quite a bit. Winter 2010 was full of those if I remember right. We are looking at something come Christmas day but location is still up in the air.

Not really a clipper or a cutter. The s/w appears to develop over the intermountain West and traverses the US in basically a west to east fashion. And the weak surface low never truly cuts... rather it kind of eases into the Lakes before sliding eastsoutheastward. Semantics.

I think many of us will be giddy if we can get a freaking half inch or more xmas eve. We will post 40 pages of weenie joy in the event of such happening.

Absolutely! The pattern is clearly breaking in our favor heading towards the NY, some xmas snow would be icing on the cake.

The disturbance is a clipper worthy system. Semantics, it cuts through the Great Lakes and Oh Valley and then into the Northeastern US strengthening as it hits the coastline. 12z GFS is most intense with the system, EURO shows light snows, GFS shows moderate snows, but I think both are underestimating the system's intensity as the PV splits amidst a strong -NAO west based blocking ridge over the Hudson Bay to Davis Straits. THis ridge splits the pv underneath it and then we get an arctic jet imposed disturbance clipping through the Great Lakes and Northeastern US. Arctic jet with arctic air behind the disturbance equals cold snows for the region.

Will, BL issues for the coast?

I wouldn't worry about that right now. Its a weak system 132-144 hours out. If it tracks like the GFS, then it would be rain on the south coast. A Euro track would probably be snow, though the BL isn't exactly frigid...prob a wet snow on the coast. But pointless to get specific when the event might not even happen.

I wouldn't worry about that right now. Its a weak system 132-144 hours out. If it tracks like the GFS, then it would be rain on the south coast. A Euro track would probably be snow, though the BL isn't exactly frigid...prob a wet snow on the coast. But pointless to get specific when the event might not even happen.

Thats true, stupid question just stoked to potentially see some snow in this setup. Thanks.

SAT AND SUN...

LOW PRES BECOMES VERTICALLY STACKED AND OCCLUDES AND WEAKENS IN

NEAR PROXIMITY TO SRN NEW ENGLAND THROUGH THE PERIOD. WITH ENOUGH

ENERGY ALOFT AND TRAPPED MOISTURE IN THE SYSTEM...A PERIOD OF

SHOWERY AND UNSETTLED WX WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

HOWEVER...A COLD AIRMASS WILL BE MOVING OVER WITH THE CUTOFF

SYSTEM...SO A TRANSITION TOWARD WINTRY PRECIP IS LIKELY.

THEREFORE...LOOKS LIKE SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW SHOWERS ARE A GOOD

BET THROUGH THE PERIOD. GIVEN THE SHOWERY NATURE AND UNCERTAINTY

REGARDING THE LOW PRES MOVEMENT THERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS AS TO

WHERE THE BEST ACCUMULATION OCCURS.

Archived