joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if some of that is snow melting..since wetbulb/freezing levels are pretty low, which of course means stronger and false returns. Plus radar from bhm and robins don't show nearly that much. But it seems like every radar is showing an underestimation of rainfall away from the radar site. I've picked up 0.40..yet gsp shows something less than 0.30 and so does ffc.

Anywho, almost forgot what rain looks like. Nice to have had a rainy night and a wet morning. Sure feels like winter though, even though temp is 43...which is several degrees lower than at 5am when I woke up. But with a northeast win and a rainy/cold morning...it's nice.

That total might be legit. Per the UGA site this is as of 945am since midnight:

post-347-0-31210800-1352213873_thumb.png

wow, today caught me off guard! lol - been busy redoing my house and havent been paying as much attention. woke up to a very cold and wet morning. 38 with rain when i took the dog out (sun is starting to come out now though). glad to see the first apparent snow flake reports in NC today!

Cataloochee now reporting 2" on the ground, snow still falling

Yep We have about an inch were we live. Still snowing. I will post pics but I am going to go out toward Fines Creek and see how much they have. Seems like the snow level is dropping as the morning wears on. Just beautiful! After last winter I will take this early season snow.

Just a nice cool day in the foothills. A little light rain and a cloud deck that looks like snow!

Same here. 40 degrees now, down from 44 at 7 a.m. Has been raining lightly for four hours. Sure would like to see a flurrie or two today or tomorrow, but just don't have the elevation.

That total might be legit. Per the UGA site this is as of 945am since midnight:

That's good and am glad it's not just the low freezing/wetbulb levels. Georgia sure needs the rain. Amazing though you have those totals and yet robins/bhm are not even close. Robins only showing a 0.30 where ffc is showing 2.5 to 3 inches combined with the proof those totals are real. Wonder why there is so much difference? Only thing I can figure is the rain is developing very low/very low tops...so it only shows up on the closest radar sites. Indeed, satellite shows pretty warm tops.

Well, I'm surprised to see CandyMan, Dawson, and Rosie reporting so little rain as I've had steady light rain all night and the last time I looked I was a bit over 1.4, and was hoping the last bit of rain would get me to one and a half. Very welcome rain!! Very welcome. Good old Goofy told me I'd get some good rain around election day, and a good ways back.

Now for some snow flurries. Though it looks like I'd have to go up pretty high to see them, lol. I'd like to see that energy diving down like the 12z shows come Jan., or even with some Dec cold air down on the ground :) The 850's were supportive on the 0z and 12z. T

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

256 PM EST TUE NOV 6 2012

...HIGH ELEVATION SNOWFALL EXPECTED TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...

.A STRONG UPPER LOW WILL SLOWLY CROSS THE WESTERN CAROLINAS

TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. AS THE LOW APPROACHES...PRECIPITATION WILL

SPREAD ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS LATER THIS EVENING. ELEVATIONS BELOW

3500 FEET WILL SEE MAINLY RAIN WHILE HIGHER ELEVATIONS WILL SEE

MAINLY SNOW. ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3500 FEET ARE EXPECTED TO SEE 2 TO

3 INCHES OF SNOW BY THE TIME PRECIPITATION ENDS WEDNESDAY

AFTERNOON.

NCZ051-052-059-070400-

/O.NEW.KGSP.WW.Y.0010.121107T0500Z-121107T2000Z/

SWAIN-HAYWOOD-NORTHERN JACKSON-

INCLUDING THE CITY OF...WAYNESVILLE

256 PM EST TUE NOV 6 2012

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO

3 PM EST WEDNESDAY ABOVE 3500 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY ABOVE 3500 FEET FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 3 PM EST WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHWEST AND CENTRAL

NORTH CAROLINA MOUNTAINS.

* HAZARDS...PERIODS OF SNOW.

* TIMING...PERIODS OF SNOW BEGINNING LATE THIS EVENING AND LASTING

THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 3 INCHES CONFINED TO

ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3500 FEET.

* IMPACTS...SLICK AND SNOW COVERED ROADS.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 5 MPH OR LESS.

Archived