joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using athens records, I'm around 11 inches behind normal this year. Atlanta is pushing 15 inches. It really has done a number on the water table. I'm now getting fine sand from my well..which has never happened before. Year after year after year of being below normal, much less above normal, has really taken it's toll.

I was looking last week and I'm between 10 and 11 down over here. And if it hadn't been for those two storms that dropped a total of 11 inches since early July, I'd be hurting a lot worse. Doesn't bode well to me for winter, no matter how cold it gets. I still have great nightmares of the 60's where it was bone As$ cold but no moisture week after week. I doubt any kids in Atl have walked home in 7 degree winds from high school since the 60's, and young folks have no idea how bad it is to be super cold and super dry all winter. Makes last year look like a cake walk :)

CAE picked up .07 yesterday and that brings the total for the month up to 1.62 :weight_lift: I'm thanking Tony and his moles for the 1.36 on the 15th :lol::hug:

Those furry blind guys are a pushover for a pretty face :) I just hope you remember who controls them come Jan. and I start to act the fool, lol.

I absolutely can't wait to unleash them on a sleet storm, but I need to see way more gulf storms before I can feel confident in their effectiveness. T

Charlotte got down to 24 last night. Down here in Cola, I'm pretty sure we had an hour or two of freezing fog that didnt get reported where I was.

Greenwood was in the upper 20s with fog and athens was at freezing too with fog (and mist one time I checked) yet the observations was simply fog. So it left me wondering why it wasn't reported as freezing fog.

Greenwood was in the upper 20s with fog and athens was at freezing too with fog (and mist one time I checked) yet the observations was simply fog. So it left me wondering why it wasn't reported as freezing fog.

What tipped me off this morning were my car mirrors be glazed over. It definitely wasn't frost. I'm about 1.5 miles away from the closest reporting station which reported 32 and fog for 2 hours.

This is a little late, but I wanted to post my info from the month of November. As many others have posted, it's been a dry two-month period here IMBY. November 2012 differed from November 2011 quite noticeably in both the temperature (much colder) and the precipitation (much drier) categories. Here are the stats from my PWS for the month:

Final November Stats:

Hi Temp: 73.4 F (on 11/10)

Hi Temp Below 50: 4 days

Lo Temp: 22.1 F (on 11/25)

Lo Temp below 32: 16 days

Mean Temp: 45.0 F (compare to 49.8 F from 2011: almost 5 degrees colder!)

Hi Wind Gust: 15.0 mph (on 11/01)

Total Rainfall: 0.59 in (measured rainfall > 0.01 in on 4 different days, compare to 5.45 in from 2011: it's been dry!)

Wettest Day: 0.37 in (on 11/13)

Rainfall for Year: 39.98 in (Jan - Nov, but only 0.60 in since 10/17)

Archived