12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late October/Early November disco and banter thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well on the other hand, anybody who locks in a day 8 or 9 snowstorm on the euro also needs to hand in their met degree. The past does not equate to the future.

I'm not speaking about next week, this is just a general statement.

Tru dat, I was speaking of its 5H pattern. LOL at PF melting down about Novie temps though.

Another torchtober in the books....

Good ol' +4F up in these parts for the month.

Not even close after a cold start to the month and even a day of flakes to the valley floor around the 12th, and four days of measurable snowfall on the mountain. Last two weeks had some ridiculous departures due to the humid SW/SE flow.

Tru dat, I was speaking of its 5H pattern. LOL at PF melting down about Novie temps though.

LOL yeah what can I say...I'm a bit worried about opening on the 17th and I'm assuming there are quite a bit of other ski areas getting nervous as well. Its different from looking for one 36 hour period for a snowfall, I'm looking for sustained cold.

The 00z models last night came in a bit colder Saturday through Tuesday so that's good news.

SNE can have that weak coastal snowstorm if I can get some good -10C air at H850 lol. Snowmaking weather definitely trumps a light/moderate snowfall at this point for me.

euro says watch tuesday going forward as well.

HM at least 5 days ago called for a storm system with good snow chances for us in this time frame. so i wouldn't bet against it

Ha I didn't see this, thanks. It's been longer than that. wink.png

That's a pretty awesome weenie solution on the Euro. Too bad its a week out. But there is some decent support for a coastal amongst the ensembles. If it was December, I'd probably be looking at it a lot more closely, but cold air may be at a premium here so a lotof solutions can happen where we get a storm, but its just a lot of cold rain.

Maybe it's because of Sandy, but a lot of talk for something 7+ days out from people in social media.

I feel like the fact that models nailed Sandy from so far out is going to exacerbate the model/forecast bashing this winter from many people..when snowstorms modeled from 96 or 120 hours+ don't pan out. When in reality, nothing will have changed from the past couple years.

I feel like the fact that models nailed Sandy from so far out is going to exacerbate the model/forecast bashing this winter from many people..when snowstorms modeled from 96 or 120 hours+ don't pan out. When in reality, nothing will have changed from the past couple years.

People weren't convinced by the first run showing it. It was the consistency and agreement that increased confidence early. That's not going to happen on the 168hr GFS blizzard because it will be gone on the next run and not on any other models.

Regardless of what I wrote above, you're probably right.

Thankfully Killington does not need snow to the bottom in order to open. No doubt they will be open by 11/10 if not sooner. Once again we are all thankful for the Heavenly reverse stairway.

The first run they open has it's base around 3300'

Unfortunately it's only 600' or so of vertical, a slow chairlift, and fairly boring blue trail. In other words, see you there :)

Every time guidance does well on a major system a week out or more, we generally see a period of unrealistic expectations from models afterward.

Also a winter storm is much more sensitive to track than a storm like Sandy was. Sandy could have tracked 100 miles in either direction and still be a huge storm with high impact...the bullseye of the worst impact might change a bit, but nobody would get shut out.

In a winter storm, a 50 mile track can be the difference between a major event and very little impact. It's this sensitivity to track in snow events that leads to myths such as "the models are always accurate when they show a lakes cutter but are terrible for coastals"...a track over PIT or DTW is still a rain storm for us, but would make a huge difference out there. We just don't usually follow the models shifting 50 miles when its going to be a lakes cutter anyway.

At any rate, it should be fun to start tracking winter storms again...hopefully people keep realistic expectations though about what NWP is capable of.

Will made a good point. It's a different ballgame with winter storms vs something with 1000 miles wide gales. For fun, we should post the maps of a day 8 or 9 snow event on the euro op, and then verify. Unfortunately, some will fall in love with day 9 op runs again.

Archived