joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late October/Early November disco and banter thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's early November, I don't really see an issue to worry, especially at 4000ft. I don't see a big AK trough and NNE can start to cash in with even a moderate -PNA come early December. I suppose there is time for the pattern to regress, but it looked ok to me, even if it's not all that cold. If we have weak -NAO ridging, we'll be fine come December. What you don't want is to have the ridge stay where it is and not head to the Aleutians. At least it shows signs of trying to do that.

It's early November, I don't really see an issue to worry, especially at 4000ft. I don't see a big AK trough and NNE can start to cash in with even a moderate -PNA come early December. I suppose there is time for the pattern to regress, but it looked ok to me, even if it's not all that cold. If we have weak -NAO ridging, we'll be fine come December. What you don't want is to have the ridge stay where it is and not head to the Aleutians. At least it shows signs of trying to do that.

My issue is snowmaking temps right now. I know Blizz is all set on a well-below normal, epic winter for the next 5 months, but outside of living in fantasy land, in the real world we still need temps below freezing to make snow. And not in December. I'm passed getting the picnic tables white at 4K, haha...now we are looking for sustained snowmaking temperatures.

Think of it this way... a good chunk of the New England resorts have opening days scheduled for November 17-23. To reach those dates, requires say a 5 day period of -10C H85 temps in order to make enough snow top-to-bottom. If we can't have those temps, we need a longer, sustained period of at least 7-10 days with sub 0C H85 temps. See what I'm saying about not being thrilled looking forward... for ski resorts to open on time (we are less than 3 weeks out now for opening a lot of the major resorts, including Stowe), we're going to have to start to see sustained 20s showing up after the first week of November in that 1,000-4,000ft range.

I just don't see it at this point... although the 12z GFS is worlds different again and does show some attempt at -10C 850mb temps into NNE in the long range. I just get scared when at the end of the ECM and GFS runs we are still just barely riding that 0C line at H85. 30-32F at 4,000ft isn't going to help anyone make snow to the base area elevations of New England ski resorts.

My issue is snowmaking temps right now. I know Blizz is all set on a well-below normal, epic winter for the next 5 months, but outside of living in fantasy land, in the real world we still need temps below freezing to make snow. And not in December. I'm passed getting the picnic tables white at 4K, haha...now we are looking for sustained snowmaking temperatures.

Think of it this way... a good chunk of the New England resorts have opening days scheduled for November 17-23. To reach those dates, requires say a 5 day period of -10C H85 temps in order to make enough snow top-to-bottom. If we can't have those temps, we need a longer, sustained period of at least 7-10 days with sub 0C H85 temps. See what I'm saying about not being thrilled looking forward... for ski resorts to open on time (we are less than 3 weeks out now for opening a lot of the major resorts, including Stowe), we're going to have to start to see sustained 20s showing up after the first week of November in that 1,000-4,000ft range.

I just don't see it at this point... although the 12z GFS is worlds different again and does show some attempt at -10C 850mb temps into NNE in the long range. I just get scared when at the end of the ECM and GFS runs we are still just barely riding that 0C line at H85. 30-32F at 4,000ft isn't going to help anyone make snow to the base area elevations of New England ski resorts.

You're killing my ski buzz. I hadn't looked that far down the road but what you're saying sounds right. Ugh! But...realistically long as they're ready around Xmas isn't that when most of the business starts anyway?

You're killing my ski buzz. I hadn't looked that far down the road but what you're saying sounds right. Ugh! But...realistically long as they're ready around Xmas isn't that when most of the business starts anyway?

Yeah I don't want to sound like a debbie downer, I'm just trying to look realistically at snowmaking potential (for one its my job, and two I'm curious). And I like to be optimistic but I've found being cautious is usually the way to go in November.

I just really hope we have a decent start to the season because a lot of folks are gun shy after last season...if we start off warmer than normal with low snow, it can snowball (pun intended) through the season. Most of the business does happen from Xmas onward, but I think every ski area in the east wants to have a good start to the season to show some strength.

Yeah I don't want to sound like a debbie downer, I'm just trying to look realistically at snowmaking potential (for one its my job, and two I'm curious). And I like to be optimistic but I've found being cautious is usually the way to go in November.

I just really hope we have a decent start to the season because a lot of folks are gun shy after last season...if we start off warmer than normal with low snow, it can snowball (pun intended) through the season. Most of the business does happen from Xmas onward, but I think every ski area in the east wants to have a good start to the season to show some strength.

Yea. I totally agree with you PF. You aren't going to get sustained nights cold enough to make snow down to the base in almost any N/E resorts. No way anybody opens (really opens) before thanksgiving. The cavet being if we get a little dumpage that speeds the process up.

Yea. I totally agree with you PF. You aren't going to get sustained nights cold enough to make snow down to the base in almost any N/E resorts. No way anybody opens (really opens) before thanksgiving. The cavet being if we get a little dumpage that speeds the process up.

i don't think scott is a skier, so he doesn't always see things from the skiers perspective at first

but yes a torchalicious mid november isn't the death knell for the CP of SNE regarding their annual snowfall, but it could be for mountains in NNE eager to launch opening day operations as planned. The mountain are pretty squeamish after last year's debacle and they don't need a dead ratter from nov 15 on to to dec 1, , to much up their opening.

I used to ski, just have not had the chance. I didn't think PF was coming at it from that angle. You might make some snow a few nights next week, but not so sure it will be a continuous effort going forward.

Yeah I should've been more clear in that first post, lol.

Its definitely not an atrocious pattern, but it also doesn't look like "an early start to winter" like a hypster or two want you to believe.

I really liked what we were seeing in early-mid October... now we've seen to have taken a step back.

Archived