joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late October/Early November disco and banter thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Sandy can bring New England some upslope snowfall in N.NH and N.VT... remnants of Sandy as it drifts towards the Maritimes/northern ME by later this week and this weekend, creates a fairly long-duration NW flow with residual moisture and marginally cold temperatures.

Sandy could result in snow accumulations later this week and weekend across higher terrain in the upslope region...?

Friday evening:

gfs_namer_081_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Saturday morning:

gfs_namer_096_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Saturday afternoon...

gfs_namer_102_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Saturday night...

gfs_namer_108_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Moving right along ...

The last several cycles of GFS and Euro operational runs have been flagging some kind of cold climo system for the late middle or early extended range. The signal is not overwhelming, but there is some teleconnector support in that the NAO remains fairly heavily depressed, and the PNA (according to both agencies) will rise to a little over neutral SD. Again, not overwhelming, but having trans-continental waves tending to bottom out in the OV in route to the MA is not a bad fit just the same; therefore, gives a nod to these operational suggestions.

Can't insert files from here, and this interface doesn't recognize clip-board pasting; perhaps later this evening unless someone else want to chime in and provide.

Also, I am noticing a timing that might bring some significant cold nearing the end of the month - perhaps more later.

Moving right along ...

The last several cycles of GFS and Euro operational runs have been flagging some kind of cold climo system for the late middle or early extended range. The signal is not overwhelming, but there is some teleconnector support in that the NAO remains fairly heavily depressed, and the PNA (according to both agencies) will rise to a little over neutral SD. Again, not overwhelming, but having trans-continental waves tending to bottom out in the OV in route to the MA is not a bad fit just the same; therefore, gives a nod to these operational suggestions.

Can't insert files from here, and this interface doesn't recognize clip-board pasting; perhaps later this evening unless someone else want to chime in and provide.

Also, I am noticing a timing that might bring some significant cold nearing the end of the month - perhaps more later.

Tip, I started a thread going forward and taking a peak at that.

The only problem is that the airmass is marginal if something were to even come by. There is a weak block in Canada, but flat top ridge out west means flow is progressive. Still, maybe the mtns squeeze out something. -PNA sets up afterwards which means we may turn mild mid month. Canada gets chilly so we'll need to move the Kamchatka ridge east in order to utilize it.

The only problem is that the airmass is marginal if something were to even come by. There is a weak block in Canada, but flat top ridge out west means flow is progressive. Still, maybe the mtns squeeze out something. -PNA sets up afterwards which means we may turn mild mid month. Canada gets chilly so we'll need to move the Kamchatka ridge east in order to utilize it.

Yeah the "event" that's possible early next week looks too marginal at this point... maybe we can trend it stronger but light precip won't do it down below 1,500ft this time of year with H85 temps of 0C to -3C. We'd need to get a nice, strong CCB or something developed from a deepening low... not some weak "L" moving into the Gulf of Maine.

Well looks like near record highs up here today... mid 60s mountain valleys, and near 70F in the Burlington area.

After a below normal September, we torched in October big-time. BTV and Springfield are both going to finish around a whopping +4.5F from normal, while the mountain valley sites of MVL, MPV, 1V4 may be more like +2.5 to +4.

Anyway, anytime we start getting over +4F on a monthly departure, that's pretty much a torch.

What's up with the -EPO/-PNA set-up on the Euro? That seems a little strange or is that something that happens frequently with shorter wavelengths in the fall?

What's up with the -EPO/-PNA set-up on the Euro? That seems a little strange or is that something that happens frequently with shorter wavelengths in the fall?

Well I see more of a Siberian/Aleutian ridge on the Euro which teleconnects to a -PNA. In the winter, it's possible a more Aleutian ridge pulls a 2008 and pushes the cold further east with bigger wavelengths. For now, I think we will be back and forth with cooler and warmer air.....but for now it doesn't seem like a prolonged cooler pattern here.

I will say that I think this specific pattern in the winter would probably be more gradient like with the colder air spreading further east then we see in early November.

MONDAY INTO TUESDAY...

GFS AND ECMWF INDICATING POSSIBLE COASTAL STORM TRACKING S OF NEW

ENG AS HIGH AMPLITUDE TROF APPROACHES FROM THE WEST. GEFS MEAN ALSO

SUPPORTS THIS SCENARIO. DESPITE THE EXTENDED TIME RANGE THERE IS

NOT A GREAT DEAL OF SPREAD BETWEEN THE GFS AND ECMWF...BUT GFS HAS

PRECIP SHIELD MUCH FURTHER N THAN ECMWF AND SUGGESTS SOME WINTRY

PRECIP DISTANT INTERIOR MON NIGHT INTO TUE. STILL A LOW CONFIDENCE

FORECAST THIS FAR OUT SO WE HAVE JUST LOW CHC POPS.

7 days till snow folks

Well I see more of a Siberian/Aleutian ridge on the Euro which teleconnects to a -PNA. In the winter, it's possible a more Aleutian ridge pulls a 2008 and pushes the cold further east with bigger wavelengths. For now, I think we will be back and forth with cooler and warmer air.....but for now it doesn't seem like a prolonged cooler pattern here.

I will say that I think this specific pattern in the winter would probably be more gradient like with the colder air spreading further east then we see in early November.

Thanks Scott. It looked like maybe GOAK ridge near the end of the Euro which of course is susceptible to large swings. Maybe having a -NAO will help mitigate the torch some too.

Archived