12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im sure they'll have a 24 hr groundstop at DCA too which will make it very quiet for me as well. i'm directly in the takeoff path... damn birds fly overhead at full throttle around 800-1000 feet all damn day.

yeah, those jet engines are seriously loud, and even more so when it's overcast. It's slowly just been turning into background noise for me, but every once in a while it sounds like a plane is going to be short of the runway and land on my street

As bob said though, I guess we can replace airplane noise tomorrow with crazy wind noise

wow.

that'll make for a very quiet day overhead for me. international flights can get noisy here

im sure they'll have a 24 hr groundstop at DCA too which will make it very quiet for me as well. i'm directly in the takeoff path... damn birds fly overhead at full throttle around 800-1000 feet all damn day.

Here you gentlemen. Straight from MWAA

Press_Release_700.jpg

Click here to Print

For Immediate Release

October 28, 2012

Numerous Flights Canceled at Washington Airports

Ahead of Hurricane Sandy

Airlines serving Dulles International and Reagan National airports canceled most flights for Monday in advance of Hurricane Sandy, which forecasters predict will bring damaging wind and heavy rain to the region.

Passengers are strongly encouraged to check their flight status before leaving for the airport, especially on Monday, when many cancellations are expected. Both airports plan to remain open during this significant weather event.

In addition to closely monitoring the changing weather conditions, the airports are coordinating with airlines, airport tenants and other stakeholders to resume normal operations as quickly as possible after the storm passes.

The Airports Authority will update the official Twitter account <a href="https://twitter.com/dcairports">@dcairports about the severe weather and will re-tweet airlines as they make changes related to Hurricane Sandy.

During normal operations, Reagan Washington National Airport serves more than 850 flights daily. Dulles International serves nearly 1,000 flights each day.

What do you think my chances are getting out of CRW at 6AM to ATL?

I imagine it will be bumpy if we do.

Tomorrow morning? Well you are flying at the best time, first flight out. As long as the plane arrives from ATL tonight or whichever of the few Delta hubs it is coming from, you should make it out unless it is snowing or very windy which it will likely be windy. Probably delayed but I would throw in a chance of a cancellation.

good news is like i said, you are the first flight out on a CRJ2, but the flights later in the day tomorrow are already delayed.

As for turbulence, yeah you will be bumpin around on take off for sure, it should smooth out the further south you and get out of the mountains and any mountain waves.

good luck Teays :)

my husband's office is open and earlier he was going to go in for a half day. he has since decided to just stay home and I am very happy about his decision.

I am seriously going to talk him out of it. I do not want him on the road. I keep reading the NWS statements out loud to him. He even said that he would just go in later in the morning. I told him as the day goes on it is going to only get worse. I really have to work on him tonight.

Tomorrow morning? Well you are flying at the best time, first flight out. As long as the plane arrives from ATL tonight or whichever of the few Delta hubs it is coming from, you should make it out unless it is snowing or very windy which it will likely be windy. Probably delayed but I would throw in a chance of a cancellation.

good news is like i said, you are the first flight out on a CRJ2, but the flights later in the day tomorrow are already delayed.

As for turbulence, yeah you will be bumpin around on take off for sure, it should smooth out the further south you and get out of the mountains and any mountain waves.

good luck Teays smile.png

Hey, thanks! Just checked and it says on time so far. From there to Houston all week. No more obs from me on this storm...about to hit the bed for an early rise. Good luck with the Frankenstorm.smile.png

I just cracked the seal on a fine bottle of Evan Williams single barrel. One of my favorite bourbon. Tonight is a party. Tomorrow night is survival.

Yeah my wife is talking about us eating nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches until the rain and winds die enough to use the generator (assuming we lose power). I love peanut butter but also like canned tuna right out of the can.

I just cracked the seal on a fine bottle of Evan Williams single barrel. One of my favorite bourbon. Tonight is a party. Tomorrow night is survival.

very nice! i generally stick to the rather inexpensive Virginia Gentleman, mainly because it was originally brewed in fairfax county, not far from where I grew up, but it's also pretty smooth. enjoy!

I am seriously going to talk him out of it. I do not want him on the road. I keep reading the NWS statements out loud to him. He even said that he would just go in later in the morning. I told him as the day goes on it is going to only get worse. I really have to work on him tonight.

I'm sure he'll appreciate it!! :)

More beer

Like this?

post-5781-0-31015300-1351475133_thumb.jp

very nice! i generally stick to the rather inexpensive Virginia Gentleman, mainly because it was originally brewed in fairfax county, not far from where I grew up, but it's also pretty smooth. enjoy!

Try Bulleit when you have the chance. It's not too shabby.

Archived