Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been raining steadily and sometimes heavily all afternoon here on the mid-Eastern Shore of Maryland. I've measured about 1/2 inch since noon. Wind is still fairly light.

Yes it has. started raining in Caroline county pre-dawn and its been moderate to at times heavy most of the day. closing in on 2 inches here already. Wind is picking up a bit past hour or so.

shington, DC, Area

Applies to: Monday, October 29, 2012

FEDERAL OFFICES in the Washington, DC, area are CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC.

More Sharing ServicesShareShare on facebookShare on twitterShare on email

Non-emergency employees (including employees on pre-approved paid leave) will be granted excused absence (administrative leave) for the number of hours they were scheduled to work unless they are:

• required to telework,
  • on official travel outside of the Washington, DC, area,
  • on leave without pay, or
  • on an alternative work schedule (AWS) day off.

Telework-Ready Employees who are scheduled to perform telework on the day of the announcement or who are required to perform unscheduled telework on a day when Federal offices are closed to the public must telework the entire workday or request leave, or a combination of both, in accordance with their agencies' policies and procedures, subject to any applicable collective bargaining requirements.

Emergency Employees are expected to report to their worksites unless otherwise directed by their agencies.

Do the offices downtown typically lose power in these sort of storms?

none did during the derecho but some of the city did. but in a case like this not sure underground stuff helps if everything goes down.

I browse the other regional forums to get some different perspectives, and it's gotten to the point where I only go to the SNE forum for humor. The wishcasting and weenie-tastic nonsense is there is beyond absurd. I'm no expert - what I know I know from reading this forum carefully over the years - but I know self-interested selective model-hugging weenie-ism when I see it.

Those jokers are STILL posting about how the NHC is "brainwashed" and "dangerously misleading" and talking about "landfall ticking to the north" and "jumps to the NE"...Obviously CT Blizz is the worst, but there is a whole squadron of weenies engaged in laughably ridiculous wishcasting nonsense in that forum.

Don't get me wrong - there are some amazing mets in there, and every forum has its share of weenies - but the SNE forum is a giant cauldron of fail compared to the other regional forums on this board.

One thing I have noticed today with this storm: It was windy as heck this morning but it is a lot less windy tonight. Also we have only seen a small amount of drizzle.

I think that it will be less severe in northern Virginia but probably more severe in Maryland and north/northeast.

We'll see some rain and breezy weather tomorrow but nothing too bad.

I feel real sorry for people in Pennsylvania and Maryland who are going to lose power.

One thing I have noticed today with this storm: It was windy as heck this morning but it is a lot less windy tonight. Also we have only seen a small amount of drizzle.

I think that it will be less severe in northern Virginia but probably more severe in Maryland and north/northeast.

We'll see some rain and breezy weather tomorrow but nothing too bad.

I feel real sorry for people in Pennsylvania and Maryland who are going to lose power.

I like your positive attitude, but Virginia is going to lose lots of power. We haven't even started.

With this specific storm, 50 miles south means nothing. Dale city may dodge 70mph gusts and only get 4.5" of rain. That's about it. Lights out.

Agreed. I was in New Orleans for Isaac in August. 70 mph winds are pretty serious. Lots of power lines and large trees will come down. Especially since this area hasn't had a major long-term strong wind event like this in a long while. Darwinism will work its magic.

Archived