Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic, obv, but I'd say exception rather than the rule? My comment was aimed specifically at the fact that general government employees are off all the time. I think you'd agree with me that most government employees do not work 7 days a week, 12-18 hours per day. Clearly you're not the average MVA clerk if you're working that kind of time. Overreact much?

Clearly, you're the average person who assumes "gub'ment": workers are lazy and do nothing. Generalize much?

I suppose so. Didn't mean to get into a bit of political commentary on a weather board, but since the door was open, oh well! Agree to disagree and all that. But as a Fed. employee myself, I do tire of the old saw that "gub'mint workers are lazy" or that "they're off all the time."

Exactly. And it's mostly a fallacy...and a tired one at that.

Still nothing but light rain in downtown Suffolk VA. Looking at the radar images, it seems like we're consistently right on the outside of the rain bands.

Watching that Mega band just off VA Beach slowly move towards the coast. Light rain here and about 25-30 mph winds atm.

LWX

Climate...

preliminary information on lowest pressure recorded at Washington District of Columbia

and Baltimore Maryland...both measured in the March 1993 super storm...

Wash District of Columbia... 28.54 inches hg 966.5 mb measured at 23z on 13 March 1993

balt Maryland... 28.52 inches hour 965.9 mb measured at 00z on 14 March 1993

These values were arrived at by searching an internal database of

observations maintained unofficially here at the weather office. The

database GOES back to 1929.

Watching that Mega band just off VA Beach slowly move towards the coast. Light rain here and about 25-30 mph winds atm.

Given its current rate of westward movement it appears we should be feeling its effects here sometime next week. It looks like it's moving about three miles west per hour and I'm guessing it's going to be nothing but another shower based on the previous bands I've been watching. It seems like there's a definite line at which point this storm isn't doing anything of significance and we're on that side of the line.

Not that I'm complaining, I've got stuff to do tomorrow.

Given its current rate of westward movement it appears we should be feeling its effects here sometime next week. It looks like it's moving about three miles west per hour and I'm guessing it's going to be nothing but another shower based on the previous bands I've been watching. It seems like there's a definite line at which point this storm isn't doing anything of significance and we're on that side of the line.

Not that I'm complaining, I've got stuff to do tomorrow.

lolz, relax. It's coming. Get some sleep and wake up and I bet its over us.

I have to disagree here. Darwin awards are nominated every year for people who choose to put themselves in harms way. The worst are those who knowingly choose to go out in a potentially life threatening situation to see something "cool".

If forcing people to stay home so they don't get killed by putting themselves in harms way by bad judgment saves one single life then I'm 100% for it.

Eh, I know what you are saying but it's ludicrous that responsible people driving interstates could be fined for simply wanting to get to get home or get to work. You can't shut down the state because businesses can't afford to all shut down.

Clearly, you're the average person who assumes "gub'ment": workers are lazy and do nothing. Generalize much?

Seems my previous post was deleted, but no, I don't think all government employees are lazy. Their jobs are mostly "cushy" compared to their private sector counterparts. They get paid more, better benefits, more paid holidays and are far harder to fire. I don't have an axe to grind with govt employees... as I said in my post that got deleted, my father has worked for the State of MD for 20+ yrs and he agrees with me in this. I was just making a cheeky comment based on all the govt closings. You took it personally. If you work 7 days a week, 18hrs a day, clearly my comment didn't apply to you.

This is gonna bust wind wise in this area. I'm just not seeing it. Max 50 mph. This 60-70 mph stuff is over blown. The hurricane hunters are having a hard time finding those kinds of winds even on the open ocean. Long Island is going to get it though... 60 mph gusts easy.

I really dont think so... but if you are right... still power will go out

This is gonna bust wind wise in this area. I'm just not seeing it. Max 50 mph. This 60-70 mph stuff is over blown. The hurricane hunters are having a hard time finding those kinds of winds even on the open ocean. Long Island is going to get it though... 60 mph gusts easy.

Lol. I hope you're right.

My local forecast did specify north winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to at least 35 mph for Sunday night and early (predawn) of Monday. I have been up most of the night; it is now 410am Monday. The highest wind gust I have recorded here in northern Virginia has been 19 mph.Light rain has been steady since about 1am or so though. I am not trying to troll or play down the seriousness of this event, but I am starting to think that parts of northern Virginia may not necessarily see as high winds as have been forecast. I would venture to say that Prince William County where I reside probably needs only a wind advisory for gusts to 30-40 mph Monday night. No doubt some areas in the Mid Atlantic will see severe winds with this storm but I am beginning to suspect that Dale City might dodge this proverbial bullet.

Lol. I hope you're right.

Same here. I didn't lose power from Irene, Isabel, the derecho, or Feb 2010, but I'll be shocked and even ecstatic if we don't lose it this time.

This storm is a whole nother beast and my family was pretty shocked when I told them an outage for us is very likely in spite of being lucky in the past.

The latest AFD disco from LWX does indicate that Washington DC north will have the highest maximum winds.

I KNEW I was right.

I will probably see 2-3 inches rain total with maximum wind gusts in the lower 40s mph, even late tonight, while DCA will be flattened by extreme wind gusts 60 to 70 mph.

NO power outages for me smile.png

I feel very sorry for DCers, Marylanders and Pennsylvanians. Power outages with this chilly weather will amount to hardship, particularly at night with pitch black homes and 45 degree weather in many homes. Hopefully we can muster up a warming trend soon after the storm.

Archived