• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
TS Isaac

BullCityWx

If the GFS is right there is no way this moisture gets anywhere remotely close to this area. I'm afraid now that we are headed for a dry and warm to hot Sept and early October with many areas possibly not seeing a drop of rain for 5-6 weeks or more in GA and the Carolinas.

Plenty of hurricane season left to go.

There is some discussion about a storm after 97L forming...and coming toward the South-East in some of the long range models.

Check the 97L thread out there is some discussion out there on it.

12zgfstropical850mbVortSLP072.gif:facepalm:

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think we will see rain in the GA/AL area even if Isaac moves into MS or LA. And also a big tornado threat like we saw with Katrina.

Yeah that's true if it would turn north like Katrina but it looks like the GFS wants to take this to Texas eventually and then probably towards the great lakes. That's way to the west taking the rain and tornado well away from GA and the Carolinas.

If the GFS is right there is no way this moisture gets anywhere remotely close to this area. I'm afraid now that we are headed for a dry and warm to hot Sept and early October with many areas possibly not seeing a drop of rain for 5-6 weeks or more in GA and the Carolinas.

The path of this storm has nothing to do with the temperatures or amount of rainfall that ends up occurring in Sept/Oct

From the afternoon GSP discussion

as of 215 PM Sunday...there is still a lot of spread amongst the

medium range (and tropical) guidance with respect to the remnants of

Isaac...as the system gradually becomes picked up by the westerlies

Thursday and Friday. The days 5-7 forecast is quite dependent on where

Isaac makes the turn...as the 00z European model (ecmwf) keeps a deep moisture plume

and southerly flow into the County warning forecast area as Isaac tracks into the Tennessee

Valley...while the 12z GFS has Isaac track into the lower MS valley

and the moisture flux to the west. The 12z GFS is a western

outlier...and with HPC extrapolating the latest NHC track....I went

with HPC guide for the medium range. This is compromise of the 00z

European model (ecmwf) and the 00z gefs/European model (ecmwf) ensemble means. This track keeps the

County warning forecast area in the moisture plume and results in continued unsettled

conditions and a small threat of heavy rain/flooding...especially

across the western half of the County warning forecast area. HPC has the Atlantic ridge

building west back into the southeast states for next weekend...as

remnants of Isaac lift north of the area. Warming temperatures and more typical

diurnal showers/thunderstorms expected.

Around 72 hours and two of the most reliable models STILL refuse to come to any sort of clear consensus. :axe: It's quite frustrating. I sorta feel inclined to go with the ECMWF, but it's also hard not to listen to the GFS either. It's been on that LA/MS route for 4 runs now...The models have been more of a headache than Isaac ever has been to track, Isaac is the first storm to keep me interested from the very beginning this hurricane season despite how the models have been acting.

From the NHC's 5 pm disco....

ISAAC HAS MOVED A LITTLE TO THE LEFT OF PREVIOUS PROJECTIONS AND

CENTER FIXES YIELD A 6- TO 12-HOUR AVERAGED MOTION OF 295/15. THE

TRACK FORECAST CONTINUES TO BE CHALLENGING. THE DYNAMICAL MODELS

SHOW THE TROPICAL STORM/HURRICANE GRADUALLY TURNING TO THE RIGHT

AND HEADING FOR A BREAK IN THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE. HOWEVER...THERE

ARE SUBSTANTIAL DIFFERENCES AMONG THE MOST RELIABLE MODELS AS TO

WHERE ISAAC MIGHT CROSS THE NORTHERN GULF COAST. THE U.K. MET.

OFFICE AND ECMWF MODELS ARE ABOUT 300 N MI TO THE EAST OF THE GFS

AT LANDFALL. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT NEARLY ALL OF THE GFS ENSMEBLE

MEMBERS ARE EAST OF THE GFS CONTROL TRACK. BECAUSE OF THE WIDE

MODEL SPREAD...THERE CONTINUES TO BE GREATER THAN USUAL TRACK

FORECAST UNCERTAINTY.

And we have the sensational headline on Drudge Report up now:

"Isaac could rival Hurricane Katrina"

It's a link to a Forbes magazine article by Barak, Bastardi, and Lammey. It's more of an economic, oil/gas impact piece rather than meteorology. But, have a read, if you want.

No reason to expect Drudge to suddenly become responsible just because it's weather.

Not sure if you guys are following the thread on the main forum but RECON just went through the coordinates that were used for the 11 pm advisory and the center is not longer there.

Its been obvious on the Key West doppler that the center has relocated significantly farther north.

gfs initialized the center wayy too far south. new orleans in deep doo doo

I just gotta think the GFS is too far west with Isaac in regards to ultimate landfall. Like you said it initialized too far south. Would lean toward Mississippi or Eastern LA and not skirting across all of Southern LA.

Also, the GFS getting inside 3-Days out has definitely trended stronger with the eastern trough starting at about hours 48-60 but Isaac is just far enough south to completely miss it. Tomorrow is going to be interesting to say the least

Larry, was there any correlation with pressure/ strength at land fall? My guess is weaker storms..but then I'd probably bet against myself, for all the good my guessing does. I'm sure steering has a lot to do with how long it's overhead :) It just seems to me the strong ones blast through here.... the more wind, and tornados, the less the rain. To get over 5 means it's crawling, so it's weakened down south, and maybe wasn't so strong when it came in. Thanks, T

Tony,

Sorry about not replying sooner. Maybe there is a slight correlation with strength at landfall. The top two wettest at KATL were cat. 3's at landfall. However, the third wettest, Alberto, was a mere TS. There is probably some correlation with speed as the 2nd through 4th wettest were all relatively slow movers. However, the wettest, Opal, was a very fast mover. There is a pretty strong correlation with July storms as the 2nd through 6th wettest were all July storms and there aren't a ton of July storms overall. Since 1879, I can only count 13 that were in a position to possibly produce 5"+ of rain at KATL. A very impressive 7 of these 13 did just that. In stark contrast, only 2 Aug. storms did just that and Aug. is a much more active month on average.

Tony,

Sorry about not replying sooner. Maybe there is a slight correlation with strength at landfall. The top two wettest at KATL were cat. 3's at landfall. However, the third wettest, Alberto, was a mere TS. There is probably some correlation with speed as the 2nd through 4th wettest were all relatively slow movers. However, the wettest, Opal, was a very fast mover. There is a pretty strong correlation with July storms as the 2nd through 6th wettest were all July storms and there aren't a ton of July storms overall. Since 1879, I can only count 13 that were in a position to possibly produce 5"+ of rain at KATL. A very impressive 7 of these 13 did just that. In stark contrast, only 2 Aug. storms did just that and Aug. is a much more active month on average.

Hey, Larry. And no worries, just thanks :) I know you have been busy battening down the hatches. I know the mole magetism has you as alarmed as I am over the coming mega rains, lol. Right now, only the Nam believes, and Hpc, who wants to give 5 inches to everybody, according to the map above :)

I have to say I was stunned to hear Opal was the wettest. I bet I didn't get 2 or 3 inches here. I remember driving over to Greensboro to work, and if there had been heavy rain, I'd have remembered some washouts. It was the wind with that one...and, then I see near 20 in Brewton, Ala. And looks like the mtn.s got slammed with over 10.

Alberto was a bullseye here. I may never again see that much rain, that fast here, unless another cork gets cut off and bobbles around, pushed by any zepher.

Sure hope this one feels the moles, and the trough, and pulls away from NOLa. Those folks need to be left alone.

Now I'm curious about the moisture transport ability in July over Aug. Thanks, again. Tony

Hey, Larry. And no worries, just thanks :) I know you have been busy battening down the hatches. I know the mole magetism has you as alarmed as I am over the coming mega rains, lol. Right now, only the Nam believes, and Hpc, who wants to give 5 inches to everybody, according to the map above :)

I have to say I was stunned to hear Opal was the wettest. I bet I didn't get 2 or 3 inches here. I remember driving over to Greensboro to work, and if there had been heavy rain, I'd have remembered some washouts. It was the wind with that one...and, then I see near 20 in Brewton, Ala. And looks like the mtn.s got slammed with over 10.

Alberto was a bullseye here. I may never again see that much rain, that fast here, unless another cork gets cut off and bobbles around, pushed by any zepher.

Sure hope this one feels the moles, and the trough, and pulls away from NOLa. Those folks need to be left alone.

Now I'm curious about the moisture transport ability in July over Aug. Thanks, again. Tony

Tony,

You're welcome. Here's my edumucated guess. Of the 7 July 5"+ producers for KATL, an impressive 4 were moving relatively slowly as they approached ATL. However, regarding the 7 Aug-Oct 5"+ producers, only one was moving slowly. So, I assume that the tendency for a very sluggish upper atmosphere in the SE US in July vs. the later three months makes for the best shot at a slow moving storm in July and, thus, heavier rainfall. Then again maybe the moles are more active in the heat of July??

Tony,

You're welcome. Here's my edumucated guess. Of the 7 July 5"+ producers for KATL, an impressive 4 were moving relatively slowly as they approached ATL. However, regarding the 7 Aug-Oct 5"+ producers, only one was moving slowly. So, I assume that the tendency for a very sluggish upper atmosphere in the SE US in July vs. the later three months makes for the best shot at a slow moving storm in July and, thus, heavier rainfall. Then again maybe the moles are more active in the heat of July??

Makes sense it would be more progressive going into fall.

What's Sav's heaviest rain fall?

Don't feel the need to wrack your brain, just messing with you while waiting the Doc, lol. As for the moles...could the the mole/weather correllation have existed before I discovered it? I sometimes wonder if it might all be the workings of a fevered brain. Then I think back to 4 inches in one day, after 3 weeks of nada, and I'm all better again :) Tony

Archived